Disquiet Junto Project 0305: Three Princes

My very first one here. Thank you for the challenge! Some details under the track.

Welcome, @janos_hardi ! Listening now.

This is my first submission to Disquiet Junto.

I randomly selected, Jala_Matha_Olu_Kumari, Mage_Menika_Suwase_Nidai, Sadu_Sadu_Ma_Buduhimi_Saminda and found interesting sections of each by ear.

From there everything was done in SuperCollider. I layered the loops and essentially created an instrument by applying an envelop, filter and feedback delay. I added a second instrument as a background. At the end I briefly add the samples to reveal the source sounds.

Didn’t get time this week - I had pulled my three princes using the numbers from the date the word Serendipity was coined (January 28, 1754 - so I was going to use tracks 01, 28, and 54), and grabbed a few nice loops, but I didn’t get round to finding any usable overlaps. There is some fantastic music there though, so I will revisit this one when i have time.

I choose the tracks by using Supercollider to generate three random numbers between 1 and 138 [rrand(1, 138);]. This generated 94, 109 and 58. I choose the length of the samples in the same way [rrand(2, 7);] and this generated 2, 4 and 5. I layered these loops to 2 mins long. I listened, applied some fx and “performed” it with midi faders to gain control and reverb.

Note to participants: If your track isn’t showing in the SoundCloud playlist, lemme know.

Really fun brief! Picked 3 tunes randomly, picked 3 samples carefully and then just bashed about and tried to make something of it. Ran out of time a bit, but sure isn’t that what it’s all about!

Here’s mine: https://soundcloud.com/plusch/princes-of-serendip

Hi all!
It’s been a really long time since I’ve done a Junto project, and I’m really glad to be back. :slight_smile:

Here is my contribution for the week.

The loops came from tracks 10, 119 and 133 (goo.gl/szUFd2), which I picked via a random number generator.

I then listened to each track in full and cut out snippets that I thought were interesting. From those I created a bunch of loops per track and picked my few favorites.

In this piece there are a total of 10 different loops - 3 from Track 10, 4 from Track 119 and 3 from Track 133. Track 119 happened to have various mechanical and needle scratching sounds, so that’s where many of the rhythmic sounds are from. And I think track 133 was from a movie, so there is a snippet of dialog there too.

I started each of the loops all together, and then selectively muted certain chunks until I found something that sounded interesting. Then I arranged the top of the loops to be a little more rhythmical, but once I started a specific loop in one spot I let it go and did not move it in time any more, only muted or unmuted parts of it. Then I added some volume fades and panning to help differentiate the various tracks. I added some gentle compression and a verb tail at the end. There is no other processing.

this is so crazy… head deep into a google cloud tutorial with this as soundtrack…

wow! I feel like I unlearn things whenever I listen to my tracks :slight_smile: