Disquiet Junto Project 0306: Music in Motion

The best travel companion for me it’s an Ukulele. And my laptop and my AT stereo microphone.
This track features all that road companion set, an Uke stereo take and a country side field recording made with that stereo mic
Photo by jordan whitt

Disquiet Junto Project 0306: Music in Motion
Record a piece of music while en route somewhere
Created by DD on the road in Spain.

@DeDe Wonderful! Very soothing. The birds singing and ukulele make a nice duo.

Well done, thanks for sharing. You have a nice voice for story telling.

Nice track! I hear the spontaneity and fun of movement in it

had a molar out a couple of days ago.
quite an effort getting anywhere
this is my journey upstairs!

i recorded the walk on my phone .
i had my fave phone synth running (kosmische) - slow tooth-drilly patch
must admit i did a little in post. when i record on my phone anything emanating from the phone only gets recorded in the left channel. so in audacity i stereofied it with haas. and i may have done a tiny bit of hiss reduction…

The timing of a Junto project about making music on the road could not have been better for me, since I’m in Berlin for Ableton Loop this week. After all this listening to people talk about creative process I was super fired up to do some music making. And since I’m writing a paper about Duke Ellington’s “Black and Tan Fantasy” at the moment, the obvious solution was to remix it.

I took loops of the trumpet and trombone solos from two different recordings of the tune and laid them out over one of my favorite rhythmic beds, “Blind Man Can See It” by James Brown. Some of the Ellington loops are more or less intact, some are timestretched, some are ring modulated, and some are insanely vocoded with pitch tracking and beat repeat. The James Brown loops are pitched up a minor third to fit the key of the Ellington tune.

I started work on the track at Newark Airport, pushed it forward a bit in my hotel in Berlin, and completed it in the Loop conference green room, otherwise known as the control room for one of the gigantic recording studios. I was listening to a talk on overcoming creative obstacles by Kaki King, Machinedrum and Akiyomi, which was so energizing that I had to run up here and make some music myself. As I write this description, those three artists are doing their Q&A on the other side of the glass. It’s pretty inspiring.

The playlist is now rolling:

Here’s mine. As mentioned above, I purchased a digital recorder for this (that I’ve needed for some time), the Tascam DR-40, which seems to do the trick for my needs at present.

I was on my way to London with my daughter via public transport; this is an edited field recording of that journey, with some post processing added via convolution reverb and granular tools (this is cheating slightly). Modes of transport featured are bus, tube, and docklands light railway. Oh, and a serendipitous encounter with some illegal buskers, who were singing ‘Hit the Road Jack’!

Apologies for lack of brevity, but the length was needed to capture the different ambiences of waiting/travelling per mode of transport.

Very well done! Listening really takes you on a trip. I’m curious to know what granular tools you used, it sounds so good.

Thanks, that’s really kind.

Most of the additional harmonics I think are from the convolution reverb - Logic’s Space Designer.

The granular stuff is from the Michael Norris plug-in suite, stuck in as send effect, I think with a low cut on the eq. They’re free, and pretty experimental.

a pleasant and relaxing afternoon drive listening to the soundtrack of ‘The Wicker Man’

my chosen instruments were: my tablet for recording, my laptop for processing/editing, and my phone hooked into the car’s sound system playing the soundtrack.
glitchmachine - fracture
analog tape delay

I took the train this morning, with in my backpack my field recorder (zoom h4n) and kalimba. I recorded some kalimba playing in the train and on the platform waiting to get the train back home. On my phone i played parts of the first episode of the podcast ‘Sound Matters’ and recorded that. I edited it slightly when i got home. Some reverb towards the end of the piece. The last sound you hear is a me checking out of the Dutch railway system (a short bleeb).

All from samples taken by me on today’s walk in Limbe (where I happen to be right now, but not normally). The name also comes because today is Remembrance Day (or it was when I posted this).

Hey all, not so sure about this one :-/

The Driver Scares Me(disquiet0306)
Options and time were limited this week, so a solo recording trip was in order. I set up Cubasis with three tracks, one for live recording, one for live recording through the Impaktor app and one running Patterning. The live recordings were done with a Blue Snowflake microphone and the lightning camera adaptor feeding both channels. With the mike set up in the car, Patterning was started and all channels were armed and recording. About a thirteen minute trip to a friends shop was recorded with highway, city and some random radio via scan and quick volume increase. All of this mess was cut and edited down to a couple of minutes, with a bit of serendipitous fortune, especially the chime and radio parts. Some volume automation, panning and effects were added, mostly verb and compression. Not finished in situ, steering wheels and iPads don’t mix, but finished in the comfort of an old shop office chair. A little dull and predictable, but an interesting exercise in solo studio mobility :wink:

Just have to share the pain, sorry…

Jogging up a hill while recording on an iPhone and playing with some apps. iPhone mic running through Audio Damage’s Dubstation delay, along with Sir Sampleton, Funkbox, Ripplemaker and Phasemaker synths all hosted in AUM and recorded in real-time.

I missed the deadline =(

But a long train ride from NYC to Hudson today couldn’t be wasted!

Put together from two slices from a 20 second laptop mic sample on the train. Clackity clack and a brief vocal hum.

Recorded, composed and arranged entirely on the train in Ableton Live.