Disquiet Junto Project 0316: El Segundo

Disquiet Junto Project 0316: El Segundo
The Assignment: Record the second third of a trio, adding to a pre-existing track.

Step 1: This week’s Disquiet Junto project is the second in a sequence that explores and encourages asynchronous collaboration. This week you will be adding music to a pre-existing track, which you will source from the previous week’s Junto project (disquiet.com/0315). Note that you aren’t creating a duet — you’re creating the second third of what will eventually be a trio. Keep this in mind.

Step 2: The plan is for you to record a short and original piece of music, on any instrumentation of your choice, as a complement to the pre-existing track. First, however, you must select the piece of music to which you will be adding your own music. There are 50 tracks in all to choose from, 49 as part of this playlist:

https://soundcloud.com/disquiet/sets/disquiet-junto-project-0315

And then the 50th was a video by Bassling (aka Jason Richardson), also available as an audio track download here:

https://llllllll.co/t/disquiet-junto-project-0315-first-chair/11022/34?u=disquiet

To select a track, you can listen through all that and choose one, or you can use a random number generator to select a number from 1 to 50, the first 49 being numbered in the above SoundCloud playlist, and 50 being Bassling’s track. (Note: it’s fine if more than one person uses the same original track as the basis for their piece.)

Step 3: Record a short piece of music, roughly the length of the piece of music you selected in Step 2. Your track should complement the piece from Step 2, and leave room for an eventual third piece of music. When composing and recording your part, do not alter the original piece of music at all, except to pan the original fully to the left. In your finished audio track, your part should be panned fully to the right. To be clear: the track you upload won’t be your piece of music alone; it will be a combination of the track from Step 2 and yours.

Step 4: Also be sure, when done, to make the finished track downloadable, because it will be used by someone else in a subsequent Junto project.

Six More Important Steps When Your Track Is Done:

Step 1: Include “disquiet0316” (no spaces or quotation marks) in the name of your track.

Step 2: If your audio-hosting platform allows for tags, be sure to also include the project tag “disquiet0316” (no spaces or quotation marks). If you’re posting on SoundCloud in particular, this is essential to subsequent location of tracks for the creation a project playlist.

Step 3: Upload your track. It is helpful but not essential that you use SoundCloud to host your track.

Step 4: Please consider posting your track in the following discussion thread at llllllll.co.

Step 5: Annotate your track with a brief explanation of your approach and process. Be sure to name the track to which you’ve added music and the name of the musician who recorded it, and include a link to it.

Step 6: Then listen to and comment on tracks uploaded by your fellow Disquiet Junto participants.

Other Details:

Deadline: This project’s deadline is 11:59pm (that is, just before midnight) wherever you are on Monday, January 22, 2018. This project was posted in the morning, California time, on Thursday, January 18, 2018.

Length: The length of your track will be roughly the length of the track to which you are adding something.

Title/Tag: When posting your track, please include “disquiet0316” in the title of the track, and where applicable (on SoundCloud, for example) as a tag.

Upload: When participating in this project, post one finished track with the project tag, and be sure to include a description of your process in planning, composing, and recording it. This description is an essential element of the communicative process inherent in the Disquiet Junto. Photos, video, and lists of equipment are always appreciated.

Download: It is essential for this specific project that your track is set as downloadable, and that it allows for attributed remixing (i.e., a Creative Commons license permitting non-commercial sharing with attribution).

Linking: When posting the track online, please be sure to include this information:

More on this 316th weekly Disquiet Junto project (El Segundo: Record the second third of a trio, adding to a pre-existing track.) at:

https://disquiet.com/0316/

More on the Disquiet Junto at:

https://disquiet.com/junto/

Subscribe to project announcements here:

http://tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto/

Project discussion takes place on llllllll.co:

https://llllllll.co/t/disquiet-junto-project-0316-el-segundo/

There’s also on a Junto Slack. Send your email address to twitter.com/disquiet for Slack inclusion.

Image associated with this project is adapted from a photo by Martin Kenny and is used via Flickr thanks to a Creative Commons license:

https://flic.kr/p/neoFUH

https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/2.0/

The project is now live.

Y’know last week I thought it’d be so much easier if I uploaded my Junto to Soundcloud.

Then I thought fuck Soundcloud :slight_smile:

@bassling I love that you do videos every week and I am hopeful people will post on whatever service they most want to post to.

Created on Thursday 18/JAN/2018 for

Synths by Daniel Diaz & Ian Joyce
Photo by N.A.S.A.

My first bet for this “filling the second chair” challenge was adding to ikjoyce’s gorgeous space-soundscape some contrast, like acoustic vs electronic, so I went for an Indian harmonium.
It proved terrible choice. So I went the opposite direction, tried to imitate his sounds (notably the bell like sparkles and that floyd-esque french horn that pops in and out in a magnificent mysterious way on his track).
I added some strings and some other dark synths and that’s it.
Ladies and gentleman: we are sitting in space. In two snug floating chairs.

@ikjoyce
@disquiet

Absolutely love the direction you took this! Perfect sound choices.

I chose https://soundcloud.com/337is/ritual-to-claim-1st-chair-disquiet0315 to work with.
Every good ritual needs obscure mumbling and chanting…

iphone voice record, coffee can spoon drumming, monome, monolase

1st chair 'Fever Pitch by @disquiet

Knowing that Junto submissions tend to be ambient and textural, my plan was to find one of those and add a beat to it. But then I listened to “Left Chair” by moduS ponY which already has a beat, and thought it would be fun to build on top of it:

I added a sample of “Sugar Rum Cherry” by Duke Ellington, slowed down, stuttered a bit, and run through Ableton’s Drum Buss and Echo effects.

fantastic sounds :slight_smile:
mix is cool in this form! (stereo)

Hey All, My random generator came up 45 which was lucky for me cause it was photofractal’s fantastic track Galloway Disquiet0315. I really liked the delicateness and washy sound of his track so I did not want to stomp all over that which I am wont to do. I am not a real playa so I don’t know about keys and such so my first instinct was to midi translate but I thought again about this being a trio so I thought I should play it myself. I was trying single notes but decided I needed chords. I soon found out that if I just used the black keys it didn’t sound terrible. I used a combo of a CS-80 and the new CMI V Arturia plugins with Guitar rig on them. I put photofractal’s track on the left and mine on the right. I decided against any mastering as I wanted to keep photo’s track as it was originally. I hope this leaves room for next weeks addition. Music is a solitary endeavor for me so I really like the idea behind this assignment. I am up for collaborations any time and all my tracks are downloadable if anyone would like to plunder them for any sonic possibilities. This won’t be the only track I try this week but this one is my submission. I will let any other members know if I use their track. Kudos to Marc for making this all possible and I look forward to all the exciting outcomes of this assignment.

Peace, Hugh

adding a second layer to @disquiet’s “fever pitch” from last week.

fender rhodes + cooper fx outward + cooper fx generation loss. one live take, no editing or post-production.

i chose:First Chair at the Wavetable (disquiet0315) Ethan Hein

Created for Disquiet Junto Project 0316: El Segundo
The Assignment: Record the second third of a trio, adding to a pre-existing track.
I couldn’t resist this one,
Las weekend I downloaded a bunch of junto0315 tracks for eventual collaborations and among them I downloaded @mtnviewmark-bits https://soundcloud.com/mtnviewmark-bits/0315-six-legged-chair-disquiet0315

Wednesday I started watching season 3 of Twin Peaks, always great to find that landmark theme by Mr Badalamenti in the opening titles.
The similarities between Mark’s track and the Twin Peak music were clear to me, so I decided to take it even closer replicating the picked electric bass line, but transformed to ¾ time signature to match Mark’s track.
I ended up adding 3 electric bass tracks, overlaying effects, melodies and harmonics textures.
But what you hear is just Mark’s proto-stratocaster take and my electric bass.
Cheers
dd
18/Jan/2018

@mzero
@disquiet

Hi all,

A few times rolling of the dice got me a collaboration with MtnViewMark… I didn’t really want to do the blanks that Mark left, I’ll leave that to the next collaborator. At first, I tried to reverse Mark’s notes(since I am a non-musician, that failed). So, I took it the easy way and added some sax-sounds+percussion on the right channel. Hope you like it a little Mark?

Thank you Hugh! Love what you added it sounds great!

just finished my second chair. i chose la cosa preziosa´s moving chairs track and added some pad sounds. i really enjoy this collaborating topic. awesome stuff going on here. btw how to embed a track player in here. i just see hyperlink options, no html?

https://soundcloud.com/elfusilado/second-chair-disquiet-0316

Major thanks to @mzero for noting another track, besides Bassling’s, that isn’t on SoundCloud. It’s @samarobryn’s, and it’s here:

So, if you haven’t done this week’s project yet make it #51 when you roll your virtual dice, or simply choose to use it.

The playlist is now rolling:

The rules officially state you’re only supposed to post one finished track per project, but people have begun on this one to post more, and I don’t wanna muffle that fervor. But for future projects, the idea is and will be to try to stick to one. If there are several, I’ll ask that you choose the one you want as part of the playlist.

As with all of my content, this entire process was documented in a live stream at www.twitch.tv/zeromeaning

This track (right-hand side) was created to be as close to the original (left-hand side) as possible with little knowledge on exactly how it was produced. The main synth line was played using a soft minimoog with varying amounts of ring modulation, resonant filters, and distortion. Sweeps were made with both a glitched soft mellotron string patch and vocalisations performed by myself. The room the track was created in was also recorded, then normalised and filtered for an additional resonant texture.

Original track by @shadow_machine

It occurred to me when I was making the final master that I had used the stereo mix as the base and not the left-side version. I did not realise that these were entirely different edits of the same track, which would have required immense reworking of my track to compensate. Hopefully this is still legitimate.