Disquiet Junto Project 0320: Table of Contents

Read it in high school - Crikey, that was circa 1967.

Enjoyed this one a lot. Given a high chapter count (I only did the first 20) the focus was very much on having a workable process in order to keep to the timeframe.

To make things absolutely clear, my contribution should not be considered in any way a soundtrack to, or in any way worthy of my chosen book. Rather, taking 20 chapters as cues to create sections of a linear piece of sound. I took each chapter, read it, wrote a quick impression of emotion/theme, and then used that to create music with various synth modules, field recordings, sounds from Freesound.org under non-attributable cc licensing, and a cheap kalimba I bought online. I’ve also chosen to have some of the chapters blend and overlap, which is probably cheating.

The book I’ve chosen in ‘In Watermelon Sugar’, written by the American author Richard Brautigan in 1968. I’d recommend checking it out, don’t let this piece put you off!

Sounds great and cinematic.

This is wonderful! I don’t know the book, but maybe I will look it up now :slight_smile:

Threaded

My first reaction was thinking that almost any book I picked would have, oh a dozen or more chapters. And there was no way I’m making that many short pieces.

So I didn’t pick a book. Consider this the background music for a book not yet read, or not yet written: In a parallel world there is a Disquiet Junto, but for writing. “Here’s a piece of sectioned music. Write the book that goes with this music.”

What stood out in the guidelines was the idea that, while each section should be loopable, they should also nicely flow.

I had the idea then to create a series of compatible riffs/chords/whatever, in a sequence:

1. Create a loop 1
  2. Create a loop 2 that works well with loop 1
  3. Create a loop 3 that works well with loop 2
  4. Create a new loop n+1 that works well with loop n

In practice I was not quite so exact; I have a few loops that were all created against a common prior loop.

I numbered loops as they were created, and assembled the results in Renoise. I ended up with 16 sections by pairing numerically adjacent loops.

So much for my fears of “too many chapters to cover.”

The loops follow this section pattern:

1 2
  2 3
    3 4
        14 15
           15 16 
1             16

When played from Renoise the entire piece is loopable; the last sections flows back to the first section. For this release I twiddled the end and used a fade out.

Renoise has a track effect called “maYbe” that allows for random triggering of notes. I used this for some whooshing/buzzing ambient sounds. Should you loop any of the sections that ambient-ish stuff would change on each pass.

I’ve written a Renoise tool called Loop Composer that could be used to define loop durations for each section of the piece. If I get extra ambitious I will release the Renoise file along with a Loop Composer script.

I don’t know where the title came from. I might have been thinking about how books are constructed, with pages (often) sewn in, and the way the patterns in the piece thread their way through.

James

I’m reading the book of tofu. The book is written under the influence of
zen practice and shows the importance of the process vs result.
Haven’t finished the book which has 19 chapters which I read back and forth…
This composition is probably unfinished as I’ve decided to stay with the process of recording and mixing three loops…:slight_smile:

this seemed too difficult to do properly!

i’ve had 3 brilliant books going round my head recently:
Barbara Kingsolver - The Poisonwood Bible
Wyl Menmuir - The Many
William Gibson - Virtual Light

so hopefully the music evokes a sense of these books. (i’d say theyre connected by dread /dreamlike/ floating / creep)

i used iris 2 / protoplasm / podfarm mainly. longer than i thought!

Here is my minimalist interpretation. This is my second junto project.

I’m not one to read a book multiple times, so I can’t go back to one of my favorites and recall the story or tone of each chapter without spending the weekend rereading it. Therefore, my music is inspired by one of the few books I have read multiple times: The Fannie Farmer Cookbook!

The Fannie Farmer Cookbook has a gazillion chapters. I couldn’t possibly create that many segments in one weekend. So, I selected several of the major chapters and grouped others together to come up with six sections. I then composed six segments suitable to listen to while perusing recipes:

1. Appetizers and Soups
  2. Fish and Shellfish
  3. Meat
  4. Poultry
  5. Vegetables
  6. Desserts

I incorporated some audio clips from freesound.org, under CC BY 3.0 licensing: Beach Waves Close by greencouch, and Rooster Crowing A by InspectorJ. The cow is a public domain sound. The clattering silverware and knife sharpening and chopping sounds I recorded myself.

I’m not sure all the segments in this piece really work as background music, but it was a fun challenge regardless.

Hello,

Here is my version of Ashes, ashes - Barjavel

Réné Barjavel - Ravage - Ashes, ashes

1. Les temps nouveaux - new times
  2. La chute des villes - City collapse
  3. Le chemin de cendre - The ashes way
  4. Patriarchy

Was hard and I had to do it in a rush.

PiL