Disquiet Junto Project 0332: Lucky Numbers

Disquiet Junto Project 0332: Lucky Numbers
Make music based on the lottery.

Step 1: Every day, newspapers around the world publish the local lottery numbers. We’ll be making music based on these numbers. Think about how a string of numbers might inform — might seed — a short musical composition.

Step 2: Locate the lottery numbers near your — or, if you live somewhere that doesn’t have a lottery, find someplace that does.

Step 3: Generally speaking, the winning lottery numbers come in the form of a small set, such as 4, 7, 28, 37, 41, 2 (the recent Super Lotto jackpot here in California).

Step 4: Having located a set of lottery numbers, then compose and record a short composition that is somehow based on them. (Do detail how you extrapolated sound from the lottery when uploading the track.)

Six More Important Steps When Your Track Is Done:

Step 1: Include “disquiet0332” (no spaces or quotation marks) in the name of your track.

Step 2: If your audio-hosting platform allows for tags, be sure to also include the project tag “disquiet0332” (no spaces or quotation marks). If you’re posting on SoundCloud in particular, this is essential to subsequent location of tracks for the creation a project playlist.

Step 3: Upload your track. It is helpful but not essential that you use SoundCloud to host your track.

Step 4: Please consider posting your track in the following discussion thread at llllllll.co.

Step 5: Annotate your track with a brief explanation of your approach and process.

Step 6: Then listen to and comment on tracks uploaded by your fellow Disquiet Junto participants.

Other Details:

Deadline: This project’s deadline is 11:59pm (that is, just before midnight) wherever you are on Monday, May 14, 2018. This project was posted shortly after noon, California time, on Thursday, May 10, 2018.

Length: The length of your track is up to you, but around a minute or two sounds about right.

Title/Tag: When posting your track, please include “disquiet0332” in the title of the track, and where applicable (on SoundCloud, for example) as a tag.

Upload: When participating in this project, post one finished track with the project tag, and be sure to include a description of your process in planning, composing, and recording it. This description is an essential element of the communicative process inherent in the Disquiet Junto. Photos, video, and lists of equipment are always appreciated.

Download: It is preferable that your track is set as downloadable, and that it allows for attributed remixing (i.e., a Creative Commons license permitting non-commercial sharing with attribution).

Linking: When posting the track online, please be sure to include this information:

More on this 332nd weekly Disquiet Junto project (Disquiet Junto Project 0332: Lucky Numbers / Make music based on the lottery) at:

https://disquiet.com/0332/

More on the Disquiet Junto at:

https://disquiet.com/junto/

Subscribe to project announcements here:

http://tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto/

Project discussion takes place on llllllll.co:

https://llllllll.co/t/disquiet-junto-project-0332-lucky-numbers/

There’s also on a Junto Slack. Send your email address to twitter.com/disquiet for Slack inclusion.

The photo associated with this project is by Rick, used via Flickr and a Creative Commons license:

https://flic.kr/p/4rCdaA

https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/2.0/

The project is now live.

I love composing stuff from numbers! I used the Colorado Lottery Winning Numbers from last night. I composed using 3 instruments piano, glockenspiel, xylophone in musescore. I used 13 chords and additional notes to add up to the numbers at different note values. I then imported to Live, adjusting the tracks to different tones using the same numbers and rounding to a 16th note for 17 and recorded. I also added in some 808’s at the same notation as the xylophone and then removed notes till I found a pattern I liked. I chose to compose for 3 instruments since Wednesday is the 3rd day of a traditional work week, hope they call your number Lucky Number. If not just go enjoy the bass and dance! 13 14 17 21 26 34 I Need Say No More.pdf (151.7 KB)

Super cool. And thanks for posting the score.

My numbers are 17, 35, 25, 39, 44.
I converted them to MIDI note numbers and shifted them up into the audible zone.
So 5 notes give a 5/4 pattern. I let this patter run and applied different scales to get variations. At the beginning and at the end the original notes were played.

Thank you, it was fun.

The playlist is now rolling:

Here’s mine. My numbers were a bit of a challenge and I had to omit two, as follows:

I choose the Euromillions draw from 8th May 2018.

17 - unused
25- unused
35 - length of full pattern (made of a 7 step loop and a 5 step loop)
39 - bpm
44 - number of bars
02 - number of variations
05 - notes in scale (minor pentatonic)

Numbers. I liked these, NY’s Wednesday winners in some or other lottery. They are neat, compact, not fussy or extravagant. Solid.

I’ve been wanting to write a “guitar”-based song for a while now. This seemed like the right time. Those numbers inspired this pop song. I hope you like it.

Given a room containing 23 people, there is a better-than-half probability that two of them will share a birthday. This is due to a set of mathematical laws described by David J. Hand as the Improbability Principle, which is why he insists that coincidences should never come as a surprise. “Given enough opportunities,” writes Hand, “we should expect a specified event to happen, no matter how unlikely it may be at each opportunity.”

In September 2009, the Bulgarian lottery randomly selected 4, 15, 23, 24, 35 and 42 as its winning numbers. Precisely four days later, those exact same numbers were drawn again by the same lottery. Hand believes that this event was due to something called the “law of combinations,” in which each time a lottery result is drawn, there’s an increasing chance that it will contain the same numbers produced in any previous draw. The formula is n x (n –1)/2, if you’re interested.

For this nauseatingly jolly piece, Suss Müsik explored the music of coincidence through forced combinations. The Bulgarian lottery provided the inputs; the numbers 4 and 15 were extracted to arrive at a 4/4 time signature in nine segments. The numbers 23 and 24 were added and multiplied by two to create a tempo of 94. The numbers 35 and 42 made a sum of 77.

An electric guitar phrase was looped and sliced at key intervals according to the numbers: 5 second loops consisting of silent breaks at exact intervals: 1m10, 1m40, 1m50, 2m00, etc. The softly modulating background are two Moog devices operating at an LFO of 7.7.

Most of piece was played live and recorded quickly to 8-track. A little sketch indicates cues for when the guitar cuts out and the fake orchestral bits (strings, brass, percussion) come in. Here, have a look:

The piece is titled Shans, which means “chance” in Bulgarian.

Hey All, I went with the powerball and subtracted the second digit from the first to get a note + or - over C0 and penciled in the on the midi roll. That is the notes being played by the bass. The drums were an amalgamation of warped drum loops. I knew I wanted to use this scene from Twin Peaks Return. I have mixed feelings about TP but overall it was quite satisfying yet sad to see cast shortly before some of them actually died. We all have our own numbers somewhere and somewhen.

NON -SUBMISSION I also tried the pick 3 numbers with last weeks submissions. I am very excited by all the participation recently. I used short samples from morgulbee,MinusKelvin and half unusual. If any of you object I will of course take it down.

Peace, Hugh

My recording this week is called Numerology. It’s based on Wednesday’s Colorado Lottery numbers: 13-14-17-21-26-34. I used those numbers several different ways to create this piece:

1. The string section plays chords and rising note melodies using those notes as pitches (offset by a few octaves).
  2. Six lines of other instruments (steel drum, kalimba, English horn, pan flute, vibraphone, piano) play Euclidean Rhythms using those numbers, distributed over 64 beats, and quantized to quarter notes.
  3. The lottery numbers sum to 125. The tempo is 125 bpm and the track is 125 seconds long.

I composed this in Live 10 using an ancient Roland SC-88 hardware synth for all the instruments.

I’m honored you would use a sample of my music in yours. It makes my lonely robot feel less lonely. Thanks for the attribution!

Haha, we used the same lottery numbers. Vastly different music. You must live in Colorado too, I presume?

The score is beautiful art on its own.

Recorded on Friday morning, may the 11th 2018 in Paris.

Electric guitar (Stratocaster clean and distorted)
Fender Rhodes.
Synths and samples.
Bowed upright basses.

Image by Dylan Nolte

Created for:
Disquiet Junto Project 0332: Lucky Numbers: Locate the lottery numbers near your…then compose and record a short composition that is somehow based on them.

Last lottery draw here, may 9th 2018 was
05-10-23-34-35-06

I wanted to create a pattern with as many notes as the bigger number, but 35 is too long, so I reduced 0+5, 1+0, 2+3, 3+4, 3+5 and 0+6 = 5, 1, 5, 7, 8, 6
So that’s my numeric “pattern” draw by the “Loto”

5-1-5-7-8-6

I recorded a simple 8 note pattern with the notes of A Aeolian, you hear that riff on fender Rhodes at the beginning (and is back at 2:24)

Then a synth plays the notes of the riff following the pattern. 5 notes of it, then 1 note then 5, 7 notes, etc.
A second synth harmonizes using “diatonic math” a 5th, a “1st” (unison), a 7th etc.
To make this less technical I took my Stratocaster and played textures and chords and an staccato riff throughout.

An ambient section at 1:41 (reversed guitars and stuff) was produced by a mistake I made , but I liked it, so I reproduced my “error” in the coda.

The lotto numbers I used were 19, 36, 48, 51, 52, 54.

Actually, I couldn’t come up with anything for those numbers. So, I subtracted them in pairs getting the vastly superior 17, 12, 3, 1, 2. :sweat_smile:

The bass drum pattern is 12 steps long and uses 3, 1, 2 as the space between hits, and comes in on the 17th measure.

The percussion uses another variation of the 3, 1, 2 and comes in at the 12th measure.

The piano pattern is 17 steps long and is sequenced by Orca.

I also included a bit of a number station recording (the 17th that I came across :grimacing:), because… well, numbers.

I cut up a piano roll performance(*) of Sheherazade, Part I, by Rimsky-Korsakov into 82 segments. I used the numbers from the California Hot Spot lottery, drawn at at May 12th, 7:44am. The Hot Spot picks 20 numbers out of the set 1 to 80. I used these to select which segments to keep (aside from the first and last), thus creating a condensed version of the piece.

The Host Spot lottery also designates one drawn number as the “Bulls-eye”. I treated that segment “specially”…

(*) An Ampico live piano roll recording, played by Guy Maier & Lee Pattison.

Hi folks, on time this week…
:grin:
Found a fiver on Friday too! Forgot the lotto!!

I typed lotto into my browser address bar:
Lotto dot ie was suggested, I clicked and got the first results for the latest draw; Euromillions results from Wednesday.

This was a lucky one!
I recorded in one take, and used the first idea and sketch. (1)
I decided to use the Euclidean Sequencer in Rozeta Suite, implementing the winning numbers into the sequencer channels wherever possible.

Rhythm Sequencer 1
Ch.1 12 steps, 2 beats, Shift 2, Accent 2
Ch.2 2 steps, 1 beat,
Ch.3 32 steps, 23 beats, Shift 12, Accent 2, Mutate 2
Ch.4 20 steps, 18 beats,*
Ch.5 12 steps, 12 beats, Accent 2
Ch.6 20 steps, 18 beats,* Accent 1, Mutate 2
(*18=36/2)
BPM = 40
Rhythm Sequencer 2
Ch.1 16 steps, 12 beats, Shift 1, Accent 2, Mutate 2
BPM = 40
Collider Midi Pattern matrix
Grid 12, Hadron Count 23
12th Scale and Note in menu = Phrygian B
Collider fed midi into 2 synths and another midi generator module (Rozeta ARP)
Arpeggiator clock divisions = 4 Direction Up (1) Octaves 2
Wherever possible the numbers were further employed in preset/page selection

App list:
Aum
Rozeta Rhythm
Rozeta Collider
Rozeta Arpeggiator
ApeDelay
Eos Reverb
Ruismaker - percussion
RuismakerFM - percussion
Axon - percussion