Disquiet Junto Project 0332: Lucky Numbers

Hi All,

The last two UK lottery wins - 18, 25, 59, 30, 56, 21, 5 and 2, 9 52, 56, 14, 49, 41 - were converted to notes using standard MIDI note numbers. The first win wrote the baseline and the second the rhythm/sequence thing.

Have a great week!

h u :slight_smile:

A quick ditty based on these numbers from a Friday night lotto draw:

I added a zero to each to make them audible, and put them into a sine tone generator to see where each tone approximately sat on the musical scale:

270 - C#4
370 - F#4
300 - D4
180 - F#3
120 - B2
200 - G3
210 - G#3
90 - F#2

I placed this sequence into Ableton, using the Grand Piano Lost Ship instrument. I hadn’t used a piano for something for a while! Lastly, I layered and staggered multiple versions on top of each other:

Layer 1: Sequence.
Layer 2: Sequence with descending chords 12th
Layer 3: Sequence with Enfach Schoen
Layer 4: Sequence with Debusian
Layer 5: Sequence played through FADL drum kit

For a while I tried to find something musical in the Lotto numbers, experimenting with numbers of bars and equations to reveal time signatures or BPMs.

Then I decided to search for the numbers in my back-up files and selected the first video from the results for each.

This material was then remixed.

Many of the source files came from previous Junto projects, one is a television commercial that I didn’t have any role in but ended up in my files because I contributed other videos to Bidgee Binge programs.

I wanted to get a different file but it was the only result and in the end provided a fat kick.

Nice drum rolls! :slight_smile:
Great stuff!

Thanks. I was particularly happy when my partner asked if it was Cliff Martinez!

Finally I had time this Saturday to engage with another junto.
I read the prompt just before my morning shower so I could ponder it there. For some reason the shower puts me in a very creative headspace.

After reading the prompt, to create a piece of music seeded from my local lottery numbers, I decided I would devise a formula in the shower, to turn the numbers into a musical prompt, before finding the numbers themselves.

My formula was as follows:

• The lowest number would be the time signature. That is, the number of beats per phrase.
  • The second lowest number (modulo 7) would select one of the 7 modes of the major scale, by specifying the offset of the start of the mode from the start of the major scale. See below for detail.
  • The third lowest number in the sequence (modulo 12) would give me the key, or tonic note. Starting at 0 = C and counting up by semitones.
  • The entire sequence of numbers would give me the notes of my main musical phrase with 0 being the tonic note, counting along the determined scale. Of course this could give me a melody spanning many octaves, so I decided I would stick strictly to the note (ie. the original number modulo 7) and take the relative octaves as a hint.

Of course there were some risks here. A time signature of 0 or 1 would give me no useful time signature and a time sigature too high might be dificult to compose for. Also a weird mode could make things pretty spicy, and the melody could just be terrible. But what is a lottery without risks?!?

Would I strike the musical jackpot? or just add to my musicial debt of overwhelming, unfinished musical projects?..

And the numbers are:
34 28 22 42 45 10
(Australia, NSW Lotteries, Saturday Lotto, 05/05/2018)

My musical prize:
Time signature: 10 beats per bar
Mode: 22 mod 7 = 1 - Dorian
Key: 28 mod 12 = 4 - E
Notes (Octave): D(4), E(4), F#(3), E(6), A(6), A(1)

It took me a while to make sense of this melody and to get my head around 10 beat bars. Listening to the song you’ll hear a repeated 4 bar musical phrase at the begining, consisting of 12 notes. This in fact two versions of my lucky melody one after the other but using different octaves and timing in each version. After a while I add some varations which step outside my lucky melody but do stay in E Dorian.

The beat is programmed on an Elektron Machinedrum. The bassline and melody were programed into my octatrack and sent via midi to other gear. The two note bassline is an organ sound on my Nord Stage 2 Ex. The lead is my moog Mother-32 with me fidding the knobs throughout for a bit of variation. The moog is patched up to blend the sawtooth and pulse wave with audio rate lfo modulation on the pulse width that comes in to give it a more agressive sound in the second half of the track. Hope you enjoy!

– What is Modulo ? –
The modulo operation finds the remainder after dividing one number by another. In this case it is a way of making a large set of possible numbers wrap-around such that the result will fall within a smaller set of numbers. eg. 5 mod 3 = 2; 12 mod 3 = 0.

– Determining the mode –
The 7 modes of the major scale can be derived by starting a scale at any point in the major scale and following the intervals of the major scale from there. I used the second lowest number modulo 7 to make sure I got a number between 0 and 7 resulting in the respective mode below.
0 - Ionian
1 - Dorian
2 - Phrygian
3 - Lydian
4 - Mixolydian
5 - Aeolian
6 - Locrian

Twisted, love it. It is a fat kick, so is the snare.

Playlist not picking me up :-/

It’s done manually… So it’ll be a bit before @disquiet has a chance to add it.

https://soundcloud.com/ohm-research/lotto-disquiet0332

Maryland Pick 4- 05.12.2018: 6878
A modular piece that involves 6, 8, 7, and 8 beat patterns syncing and unsyncing. A possible audio image of lottery ping pong balls.

i was pretty wary about submitting anything for this week’s Junto 'cause it’s another that uses words that i’m uncomfortable with - key among them “musical” & “composition” - but i had a simple idea that i wanted to hear so i got involved anyhow.

It seems to me that the key aspect of a lottery is it’s arbitrariness & the disjunction between the numbers * i * pick & the numbers spat out by the organiser’s overly complicated &, let’s be generous and assume, effectively random number generators.

With that in mind i generated a run of numbers on random.org and used those as a key for which files i’d extract from my handheld recorder, and how long each extract would run - eg. seven seconds of track seven, eight seconds of track eight &c

Then, after waiting overnight for the * actual * result of the UK’s National Lottery [shout out to the Major administration¹] i did the same again, using those Winning™ numbers as a key for files to extract & duration of extract.

I cobbled these sounds together, panning the results from * my * numbers² to the left & the actual numbers to the right.

It hasn’t really informed anything that I’ve done here, but I would still like to take this moment to recommend Jackson Lears’ Something for Nothing: Luck in America

///

¹eye roll³

²i declined to buy a ticket though had half a mind to maybe go & fetch one; save a couple of quid, huh?

³apparently a couple of weeks after Autechre’s Amber was released & a few days after the US release dates of Tical & CrazySexyCool ¯_(ツ)_/¯

Oönskade(disquiet0332)
A lottery winner has lost out on a £63.8m windfall after missing the deadline to claim the prize. The missing ticket holder matched all five numbers 5, 11, 22,34,40 and the lucky star numbers 9 and 11.
That’s what this week started with.
Sidetracked.
Did the ticket get lost or just forgotten? Unintentionally or intentionally? Was the holder blessed or cursed with a change of luck and circumstance? Was it someone who couldn’t or didn’t want the inherent troubles that might follow? The most unfortunate or fortunate person that day?
Sidetracked.
My piece started properly, following the prompt, with 5 being used for a 5/4 time, 40 for the duration in bars and the rest for instrument notes or timing or something.
Sidetracked.
Then, along the way it changed and slowed, becoming more introspective. Things forsaken or unwanted coincided with the world at large and this is the result. A short part in 5/4 for 22 measures using 5 instruments in Cubasis, the other numbers might be there somewhere.
Sidetracked.
Frightened Rabbit and Owl John, regulars on my iPod.
Such a sad way to find peace, I hope Scott Hutchinson at least found it now.

oönskade…Swedish for unwanted

Ok thanks for the heads up. No problem. I assumed it was automatic based on the tag.

Looking at winning lottery numbers in Maryland, I found the list 11, 16, 38, 50, 69, 19. By multiplying the first number by 40, the result is the standard 440 hz for the note A, so I multiplied the other numbers by 40, yielding 640, 1520, 2000, 2760 and 760. Of course, none of these frequencies fall on notes in the well tempered system, and not being into micro-tonality, I selected the note closest to each frequency, the full row being A, E, G, C, F, G.

To reinforce the sequence in the piece I decided to make the composition a round, and titled it Lucky Rounds, partially due to the nature of the note selection, and partially because after numerous attempts to get the piece to work, it finally just fell into line with what I was looking for.

Lucky Rounds was written for Flute, Clarinet, Violin, Viola, Cello and String Bass.

The score is available at http://bit.ly/2IetHwd

the closest lottery to me i could find was the robin hood lottery. i assumed there was only national ones not sure why

i used the android app kosmische because the notes are represented by numbers up to 122. i pressed random to get a patch: wasn’t that lucky unfortunately. hid the mild unpleasantness with gradually increasing reverb and played around with cutoff and resonance.

Disquiet0332
I. Used the lottery results for the Euro millions game on Tuesday 08 May 2018.
II. https://www.lottery.ie/dbg/results/view?game=euromillions
III. The winning numbers were 17,25,35,39,44 2 and 5.
IV. I decided to use these numbers as the notes on an 88 note keyboard.
V. The note names are C#2, A2, G3, B3, E4, A#0, C#1.
VI. BPM 88, Time signature ¾
Used the free Sample-science Player preset entitled Tone-wheel organ. Author of the sound is Hammondman and it is a public domain preset. Used a synth bass from Sample-science Player for the A#0 note. The bass synth preset is by Anilogic it is in the public domain. Added some cello by Virharmonic. Added some strings from the Syntronik synth from IK Multimedia.

Yeah, I have a search saved as a bookmark and I go in once a day, sometimes more often, to update the playlist. (Thanks, @mzero.)

Nice a lot going on there :eyeglasses::tada:

Nice, I wanted to use midi numbers also but some were to low to be heard :grinning:

What are the odds that I would pick the same numbers as you! I never looked at this page before I posted here today :globe_with_meridians::us: