Disquiet Junto Project 0339: Rude Mechanicals

A cautionary tale wherein nature (portrayed here by the clarinet) occasionally sings out over the din of the rude mechanicals only to ultimately be mechanized itself.

Clarinet, samples and Cocoquantus

This piece includes a background drone created by a single guitar note processed with a Count to Five effects pedal. Additionally I included in separate tracks; typewriter key strikes from my Underwood, sounds from saw blades and bobby pins mounted to my electric Kalimba as well as tape delay swells from an Echo Park delay pedal feeding into an Avalanche Run delay-reverb pedal. The “rudeness” is exhibited by all of the various mechanical sounds falling over themselves shamelessly vying for your attention.

This combination of sounds had me imagining a future-past business office tucked away in the corner of an industrial manufacturing plant. The industrial floor sounds are seeping into and mingling with the clerical routine of a harried office worker scrambling to fill the daily orders.

It was during a midsummer night’s heat wave in 2018 when the Singularity finally happened. The robots celebrated by dancing all night long, aware that the coming days and weeks and months would be challenging for robots and humans alike. Thus was born the genre “rude mechanicals,” the preferred dance music of the robots.

Despite the association with Midsummer Night’s Dream (the rude mechanicals are the (human) laborers who perform the play-within-a-play in Midsummer Night’s Dream), the phrase “rude mechanicals” makes me think of mechanical robots doing things humans might consider impolite. “Be polite around human beings” is not one of Asimov’s laws. Don’t be surprised if you hear some robot farts while listening to this music.

Created in Ableton Live over a period of two days using Live and Z3TA+ patches and effects. I chose sounds that hint at mechanical equipment being played at a dance tempo. Although there are a few scattered chords, there is no melody and the piece is predominantly percussive.

The cover art is an adaptation of a piece of robot art I created a couple of years ago called Being Alive.

I decided to go with “what if rudeboys, but all mechanical”.

My ideal was to use just mechanical sounds (tugboats, metal fences, gates squeaking) to compose a little rocksteady. Didn’t have time to do the ideal, so settled for same sounds more or less positioned, over a basic rocksteady beat. Some tracks then drenched in reverb… I for one welcome our dancehall overlords.

ps - yeah, that’s one of the old murals from the Western Front (sadly now closed after a very long run…)

This is my first contribution to the Junto so I hope I’ve got things right!

I went for a noisy, probabilistic clanking effort. Quite different to anything I’d normally create so in spite of its very definite weirdness I’m quite pleased with it!

Here it is, full notes in the Soundcloud link.

Great stuff so far from everyone, and what an inspiring idea!

Thanks,

Pete

Made it with 8 hours left…Cheers!

Machine Ugly(disquiet0339)

Not sure this was going to happen, not sure it should have…but here it is. I had a few different thoughts on Rude Mechanicals as a genre, something mechanical but mixed with rude boy reggae taste, something automated and dirty or maybe just a club for unresponsive and narcissistic devices and machines. I went with the latter. I had so many fortuitous samples to record after reading the prompt. Just stepping out to the back yard within minutes, yielded many insistent mechanical sounds. Training semi trucks(!?), woodworking neighbors and the usual assortment of cars and planes. Work place noise is always readily available, motors, fans, server rooms and lab equipment. And so I began collecting samples all around. AudioShare is my preferred iOS recording software, so all the samples started there and were trimmed if needed before being sent to other apps. I had a try with Samplr and liked some sounds but not the overall feel, so the good bits were sent to Cubasis. Two instances of truck training, server rack fans, elevator moans, torch clicks, scanner racking, router and air brakes were all assembled into a working piece. Which I didn’t really like. I left it thinking this week wasn’t happening, but gave another listen at lunch Monday. Wholesale deletes, destruction and rearranging and it started to make sense. The bass of the truck launch stayed, but new patterns were formed around it and unused samples were brought in. Then while making a mixdown something went painfully wrong. The mix bloomed with a loud and unexpected feedback/noise loop that I haven’t been able to recreate, but that DID mix down. It was so good at lower levels that it was brought alongside the regular mix and automated for varying intensity. The effects include Replicant, Duplicat, Discord4, Kosmonaut, RoomVerb and some stereo width adjustments. It still lacked a little something, so a simple Kauldron bass line was added for mood. So many parts I’m sure I missed something, but you get the idea. Hope it works.

Normal WAV - meh

Noisey fun WAV - Holy Feedback Batman!!

Here’s mine: https://soundcloud.com/plusch/rude-mech-disquiet0339

No access to most of my music tools this time, so here’s a small algorithmic Pure Data patch, with some processing in Audacity.

Pauline Oliveros - Bottoms Up 1

Rude Mechanicals- I imagined lots of accordions and sin waves. I attempted to play an accordion and recorded while dancing a jig.I created a MIDI slice from a small loop of the recording. I took a second instance of this and ran thru Curve2. I then used Curve 2 again to take another processing of it with the first version of the accordion and some additional 808sounds to add additional layers. I found using the Curve2 since I am so visual helped me to be able to see this Electro Accordion Rude Mechanicals genre experiment.

Here’s my first post to this group. I did this in SuperCollider. Music made with sounds relating to the trades of the ‘rude mechanicals’ characters in Shakespeare’s ‘Midsummer Night’s Dream’ Sampled sounds of hammering, sawing, handling cloth, and bellows(bagpipe) triggered and placed by stochastic process.

Welcome to the Junto!

Welcome to the Junto, Peter.

@yobink
wonder what that clarinet would sound like through distortion.

!

!

[quote=“sarmism, post:45, topic:14690”]
inspiring

[quote="

"Music cannot exist without sound. The sound exists in itself without the music. It is the sound that matters. "Giacinto Scelsi