Disquiet Junto Project 0346: Drum Machinations

The Assignment: Make a beat with new drum machine sounds provided by other Junto musicians.

Major thanks to Matt Nish-Lapidus (@emenel) and Jason Wehmhoener (@jasonw22) for having helped put together this project.

Step 1: Last week in the Disquiet Junto, musicians made beats for their own imaginary drum machines. The beats appear at the start of each of the participating tracks in the week’s SoundCloud playlist, here:

https://soundcloud.com/disquiet/sets/disquiet-junto-project-0345

In addition, there may be some other tracks with beats in the Lines discussion, here:

https://llllllll.co/t/disquiet-junto-project-0345-sample-time/

Step 2: Check out the tracks in Step 1. Choose one track whose opening drum machine sounds hold the most appeal for you. Then confirm the track is downloadable. If it isn’t, either get in touch with the musician who made it, or choose another track.

Step 3: Make an original piece of music employing the sounds from Step 2.

Six More Important Steps When Your Track Is Done:

Step 1: Include “disquiet0346” (no spaces or quotation marks) in the name of your track.

Step 2: If your audio-hosting platform allows for tags, be sure to also include the project tag “disquiet0346” (no spaces or quotation marks). If you’re posting on SoundCloud in particular, this is essential to subsequent location of tracks for the creation a project playlist.

Step 3: Upload your track. It is helpful but not essential that you use SoundCloud to host your track.

Step 4: Post your track in the following discussion thread at llllllll.co.

Step 5: Annotate your track with a brief explanation of your approach and process.

Step 6: Then listen to and comment on tracks uploaded by your fellow Disquiet Junto participants.

Other Details:

Deadline: This project’s deadline is Monday, August 20, 2018, at 11:59pm (that is, just before midnight) wherever you are on. It was posted in the afternoon, California time, on Thursday, August 16, 2018.

Length: The length of your track is up to you.

Title/Tag: When posting your track, please include “disquiet0346” in the title of the track, and where applicable (on SoundCloud, for example) as a tag.

Upload: When participating in this project, post one finished track with the project tag, and be sure to include a description of your process in planning, composing, and recording it. This description is an essential element of the communicative process inherent in the Disquiet Junto. Photos, video, and lists of equipment are always appreciated.

Download: It’s important for this project that your track is set as downloadable, and that it allows for attributed remixing (i.e., a Creative Commons license permitting non-commercial sharing with attribution).

Linking: When posting the track online, please be sure to include this following information — as well as the name of the individual whose beats you’re using, and a link to that source track:

More on this 346th weekly Disquiet Junto project (Drum Machinations / The Assignment: Make a beat with new drum machine sounds provided by other Junto musicians) at:

https://disquiet.com/0346/

Major thanks to Matt Nish-Lapidus and Jason Wehmhoener for having helped put together this and the preceding project.

More on the Disquiet Junto at:

https://disquiet.com/junto/

Subscribe to project announcements here:

http://tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto/

Project discussion takes place on llllllll.co:

https://llllllll.co/t/disquiet-junto-project-0346-drum-machinations/

There’s also a Junto Slack. Send your email address to twitter.com/disquiet to join in.

Image associated with this project is by Jeff Howard, used thanks to Flickr and a Creative Commons license:

https://flic.kr/p/bCCEZi

https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/2.0/

The project is now live.

And if you made beats this past week, please make your track downloadable, so that other Junto musicians can make use of your beats as part of their tracks this week.

Hey All, I used PiL - Let Kick The Bass cause it sounded so frickin cool. I don’t really sample Aretha but i wanted to dedicate it to her soul.

NON-SUBMISSION I also had done this one last night which was a mix of many kits.

Peace. Hugh

Cripes its late again :open_mouth: Cheers all!

Tormentas Pasan (disquiet0346)

Thanks for the inspiring beats:

Detritus Tabu - The No - Joker (disquiet0345)

PiL - PiL - Let Kick The Bass (disquiet0345)

morgulbee - Kitchen Sinkology - Disquiet0345

Really enjoyed listening to this weeks submissions and found some great noisy beats to play around with. The first half of this weeks piece uses four samples from Detritus’s The No-Joker, two samples from PiL’s Kick the Bass and three samples from morgulbee’s Kitchen Sinkology. Most of these had some form of transposition and eq. While the effects are pretty limited there is some compression, a few amp plug ins and of course some reverb. Forgive me for not remembering the specific hits, I couldn’t keep an original side by side in Cubasis, too many tracks open and it crashed. I will go through things tomorrow and update. You know, freezing is great but no more adjustments then :-/ I also snuck in a gong crash, inspired by widdly’s Alat Kompang. His piece wasn’t downloadable yet and I was away from the Webs all day, so a GarageBand gong would have to do. It was reversed anyways, so the poor quality wouldn’t show as much.

The second half uses a single hit, the last sample from morgulbee’s Sinkology with a bit of tape delay and reverb along with two synth patches and a glockenspiel patch from Micrologue and MicroSonic played live but with clumsy hand corrections. The two parts were recorded separately so the master bus would be easier to manage and I knew the second part would get a Very heavy dose of reverb. Also tried out the Waves L1+Ultramaximizer, but only for the analog tape simulation. No, that hiss you hear wasn’t made from metal to tape induction, but I kinda enjoyed it! Let me know what you think :slight_smile:

The title best describes the sound I was hoping for, a big steaming mess of noise and confusion giving way to a more peaceful and hopeful time.

Thanks to Marc and everyone for the asynchronous collaboration!

The Assignment: Make a beat with new drum machine sounds provided by other Junto musicians.

I picked Sevenism’s track “holobiont” for the drums. Interesting set of sounds. Programmed a quick and dirty “dumb” beat in Logics UltraBeat.

All synth parts are a John Bowen Solaris played live and recorded into Logic Pro X. Additional Dumb Beats added.

Ran out of time today, so this is as far as I could go.

Outstanding !! All drum sounds come only from my track ?
The beat is massive, could be a Chemical Brothers track.

So cool, I love it.
Thanks !

The Beast & the Beauty !

Great great :wink:

Hi Everyone,

I was really inspired by Yasha’s lovely track and great idea to include vocalisations in the sample set … as you can probably hear!

Have a great week!

h u :slight_smile:

As with all of my content, this entire process was documented in a live stream at www.twitch.tv/zeromeaning

The percussion used in this track was sampled from @DetritusTabuIII’s ‘The No - Joker’.

No other sounds were used aside from the vocals, performed in one take by Zero Meaning.

if I could bleed,
I’d bleed all over you
all my filth turns you into me

skin like scales, knives
tearing through
separating bones from meat

pour salt in the cuts
from molehills to mountains
insects flood from my mouth

my flesh replaces yours
bleeding and lacerating
knives under fingernails

blood pours into the mouth
enters the stomach
the mountain grows steeper
salt drips silver scales in chains
knives of hair form into insects
grind mountains into meat which bleeds
into the grinning host

the shattered briar of cuts floods with
thousands of mouths
thousands of knives
thousands of mountains
thousands of tendrils

I poured salt into my mouth
all over my skin
insects bleed through
tunnelling and burrowing
I just can’t do this anymore
give me
something
anything
they lacerate the flesh
until nothing is left
nothing but skin and bones

if I could bleed,
I’d bleed all over you

The playlist is now rolling:

Source material: https://soundcloud.com/mtnviewmark-bits

I used the kick and snap sounds from Mark’s kit for their intended purpose. But mostly I ended up sampling from his full track, since I liked the grooves so much.

First I cut up some loops and triggered them at random via Follow Actions, with some Beat Repeat for extra stutter. Next, I took some shorter samples, put them in a Drum Rack, and improvised with them through a stutter/reverse plugin from Ableton’s Creative Extensions pack. I ran that through Echo, and swept the delay time up and down. Then I resampled the output of all of that madness and did some editing on it to give it a bit more structure. I pitched everything down a little, applied liberal amounts of saturator and reverb, and here we are.

For this week I was inspired by a range of tones.
I played thru all of the samples at multiple tempos and time signatures.

I then replayed back these modulations thru 2 groups to run 2 variations of modulations of the tracks selected.
Created a MIDI track from the PiL sample to tie the 2 groups of processing to with an 606 Drum Kit from live with the kick replaced with an 808 sample, to anchor the samples.

I then took the second instance from each group and feed it back thru the processing chains of the opposing group.

I then took a few of the clips created on the first play thru and reversed them. I also added some volume automation.

I then ran all of these thru a master track with final compression.

https://soundcloud.com/ohm-research/in-4-disquiet-0346

Drum samples from Hypoid and Plusch.
Rendered in Kasper Fangel Skov’s Grainfields.

I used samples from @mzero’s wonderful submission.

My patch was/ is just friends + teletype into erbe verb into 2x w/ + norns foulplay

It’s probably better with headphones :sweat_smile:

Hi,

I used samples from Daniel Diaz - Tachos number 2
And the voice of JamesHumber’s track

I took the entire track of Daniel because the beat composition is so perfect for me and the sounds are clean so I can put my dirty hands on. I added colors and some sounds of my synth that follow the enveloppe of Daniel’s beat. And the voice of James at the beginning cause it simply sound cool ;).

Those 2 last projects were very inspiring. Thanks Marc !

Enjoy,
PiL

i was pretty taken with the clinks & clunks of @Yasha’s Before They Melt [Yasha – Before-they-melt-disquiet0345], aside from that Junto-familiar ice-in-glass timbre, i was delighted that they had all been named with solid, abstract-syllabic, names.

So, yeah, I cribbed the samples, & begin making an overly convoluted, but still resolutely metronomic set of patterns at 73bpm in my much beloved mid-noughties edition of FruityLoops*.

I added a generic-y & heavily filtered kick/bass sound & generic faux-808 hihat which is then pretty much buried in the mix; and various chopped ‘n’ squashed low-rez version to chop & tangle…

In addition, there’s rain from a couple of months ago, a wavering little sinewave & bonus hiss.

*(6.0 Producer edition, fwiw)

Seems like I wasn’t the only one who got inspirred by @DetritusTabuIII 's drum sound :slight_smile:

No other sounds than the drum sounds found on ‘The No - Joker’ was used.
Mostly been layering and time stretching the sounds and added some slight effects in Ableton (my other gear is currently configured to do a live show in a week).

I’ve sampled @mzero’s drums, creating a percussive groove to which I added 808 samples and my dishes from Junto 323.

I used https://soundcloud.com/user-863178836-956583768/disquiet0345-sample-time. You’ll hear his “kick” clearly, since i don’t really use a ton of drums unless I use a hardware drum machine (and I don’t have one that samples) I stretched the rest of his drums into “crashes” which play throughout the track. I thus shortened the length of the track to the pacing of those drum placements.

Nice, you got a much deeper sound out of the kick than I did.