Disquiet Junto Project 0348: Hot Mise en Abyme

Love this. Leads somewhere so unexpected - not at all where i thought this approach would take me. Some of the subtle transformations are downright transcendent.

I was super short on time with this one. The first though I had about a song within a song was about fugues, wherein one melodic line is transposed, sped up or slowed down to created the other lines for other instruments. So i did that, and then used wavetable samplers to sample parts of the song and re-insert them (the intro for instance, and throughout the track).

Brook. Thank you for the reply. I really love the idea of letting different music bits fall together and hearing the unexpected melodies or rhythms appear. Glad you noticed the subtle transformations. =)

Thanks! I had other plans for the orchestral vs. synthesizer sections, but playing them back and forth like this turned out to sound much more interesting. I’m imagining a live performance with a classical sextet at stage left, versus one guy with a synth stack on the right.

Dealing w some family health issues the past few months but this one is too good to pass up…

the length of the first note is doubled by the second note. Then the following sequence of 2 notes has twice the time, the next sequence of 4 notes has 4 times the time and so on. The second pitch is a step above the first. The next two pitches are a step above the first two pitches, the next 4 pitches are a step above the previous 4 and so on…

When I heard the concept I thought of fractals. I’ve been studying Tabla (a set of Indian drums) for the last year or so and I’ve learned that it’s not uncommon in Tabla music to take a set of Bols (strikes on the drum) and double the speed of them. In a sense, a copy of a copy.

I took one of the tabla beats I’ve been learning and programmed it into my Drumbrute Impact Drum Machine, then doubled and redoubled the speed. I made some drone sounds with my modular setup. Hearing that the modular doesn’t speed up while the drums do, gives you an Idea of the fractal-like nature of this practice.

I’m not fast enough to play this Kaida at the speed that it goes in this piece, but it is by no means unrealistic for tabla masters to play this fast. My instructor could play faster than this in his sleep.

Nesting loops from a piano improv, with incidental bird chirps.
I only used Sonar’s Groove Clip Looping for processing, which creates it’s own kind of granular delay side effect as it stretches files. I stretched a short clip from the original recording to 2, 3, 4, and 8 times its length, and also shortened it to 1/2, 1/4, and nearly 1/8. All the resulting tracks were then put back together in the mix, with changes to panning and levels.The piece ends after the longest stretched iteration of the phrase has finished playing.

Thankyou! It was a simple solution and executed quickly. So there’s definitely room for improvement. I do think there is a possible composition technique in this that I’m tempted to investigate further. Starting with melodies from different scales, I suppose the accidental formation of chords could take on different moods and atmospheres. To not make things cluttered I chose a fast percussive sound, but with a little longer release maybe more interesting textures could be achieved. Cheers!

Great track. Amazing how that piano ended up sounding like a Cymbalo.
Cheers to a fellow Sonar user.

this is really good! thank you for sharing

Thanks! Yeah, the quick little attacks that came out when I shortened the loop really do sound like one. Fun to use a feature that can be a little hinky at time in Sonar for the creative greater good. Cheers back!

This came out as a beautiful counterpoint piece! Your editing really did justice - it feels very cohesive. Really lovely!

Great interpretation of putting a sound inside a sound. I hadn’t heard of singing sands before, your recording made me curious. Went down a nice little rabbit hole of discovery because of it - thank you!

Really enjoyed this. Thanks for sharing.

Overall I have really been inspired by the different interpretations people have had.

This is a wonderful piece!

Thanks! Yes, same here. Enjoyed hearing and reading about your interpretation, too.