Disquiet Junto Project 0349: Got Glitch?

My track:

Propter hoc

More of a technical piece, trying to learn the ins and outs software that I have been remiss about getting to grips with. So generated in AudioMulch, clipped in Audacity, and beatsliced in Renoise.

Also, glitching my schedule so I can contribute to the Junto after a long time :slight_smile:

dl

Glitch, glitch is always about making something as if it was a tear in reality. So what if that idea was glitched? So that maybe reality reared it’s ugly head into something ugly, and made it beautiful again. So here is a single synth line, completely destroyed, fucked up, and made beautiful again, with a hint, of what it originally was. It’s what I call dreamNOISEpop. https://soundcloud.com/collectionsofdeadsouls/ch-3-66-6-bpm-disquiet0349

As my responses are shaped by what I can show in a video, this prompt led me to use my circuit bent instruments.

I have a few machines that have been bent by Diabolical Devices, including two Casio SK-1s and a Kawai drum machine.

This gear with a 707 and Volca Key are driven by MIDI and I’ve recycled a piece from earlier this year but looped it a few times while trying different bends.

I then added a few glitchy effects in Ableton Live, particularly Beatrepeat and Audio Damage’s Automaton.

The result could use an edit but time ran out.

I didn’t have much time to do this one, as I’d spent most of my weekend working and then had homework for a lyric writing course that needed to be finished first. However, from the moment I saw the prompt, I knew I was going to work with a badly cropped loop. In the end I took the first two bars of the song I made for said homework, copied it five times and cropped them all incorrectly but in different ways, then used Ableton’s “launch” settings to trigger a different loop every bar. I then recorded a good minute of that, and added some effects that become more pronounced and more erratic as the track progresses.

Used an old glitch-track I had painstakingly cut and spliced some time ago, stretched it, layered it, added some internet hildegard from an html page whose glitch let you play all the tracks at once, with rhythm provided by contact mics on a chainlink fence, which picked up the sounds of bells in the air, a bit, at the end.

Hi all,

As this assignment addressed one of my favourite music genres, I felt compelled to submit at least a vague idea of what the concept “glitch” encompasses for me – it’s “live-playing-like”, nervous, stuttering, avoiding the obvious “stressed” parts of the bar, lots of non-repetition, and a certain machine funkiness, perhaps? The synonym “malfunctioning” wasn’t a major consideration when I made that track, even though it sounds as if nothing’s working right throughout … Anyway, that was what I was going for in my version. Made in Ableton Live 9.

When I think of glitches, I mostly think of interruptions, stopping something in the middle before it’s finished. This is annoying on your computer, but in music you can use the stops and starts and glitches to make something new.

I usually cringe at stock sounds that come with music gear, I’d rather make something completely new, however my 4ms Stereo Triggered Sampler came with some pretty good samples, perfect for cutting to shreds.

This track is focused mostly on two banks of stock samples I found in my sampler module, I used misc other control devices to constantly mess with the start time, sample length, sample selection, and pitch of these banks, glitching them beyond recognition. I threw in some fairly randomized oscillator sequences as well to add some extra chaos.

Some of the sounds I came up with I think I could certainly use in some more structured music.

Eh, not entirely sure about this piece. I didn’t want to go full-on noise-glitch, and for whatever reason, the first thing that came to my head was to find a 1950’s dancing instructional video…so that’s what I did. I decided to aim for a more “old-school” sense of glitch - vinyl pops and jumps, warbles in tone and pitch, etc. Chopped up some uptempo jazz underneath the vocal, constructed a glitchy gritty percussion loop underneath. Finally, added a few more modern glitches here and there for spice.

Here’s mine: https://soundcloud.com/plusch/the-glitching-hour-disquiet0349

Don’t know if this qualifies as glitch, and it’s probably unlistenable. (Sorry.) I went wild with Glitchmachines’ Cataract, Cryogen, and Subvert; and CableGuys’ ShaperBox; and Bitwig devices and lots of modulation.

To me, basically, glitch is something uncontrolled and unexpected (and often profoundly interesting).

I didn’t have a lot of time, so I did a quick piano improv, trying to leave space for the electronics to answer.

My thought was that this would be a sort of call and response, with the piano exploring different versions of the call and the processed piano provided a steady, constant answer, but with the fx changing its timbre everytime.

However, I already had the call and response built into the “clean” piano improv, and I liked it when the processed piano echoed, so that’s what I went with.

The answering pianos are pitch-shifted with a bit of delay. The lower one makes use of Ableton’s Beat Repeat.

The “clean” piano has a two versions of a vocoder on it that show up in the last half of the track. One is a pitch-tracker, which provides a kind of fretless bass sound. The other is white noise, also with a delay, to provide a bit of white-wash percussion.

I love Pierre Schaeffer’s “Duex Aspects de Piano,” and I think that influenced this piece in spirit.

A glitch as in unexplained and intermittent technical failure. I was playing with a cheap audio toy – a Paperjamz karaoke machine and found when the battery was run down it would squawk, squeal or howl when turned on. Recorded numerous instances of that, and the sound of the switch, mixed something up. I felt like it needed a little organic touch at the end so I added sounds of crickets I had recorded, slowed down to the pace and pitch of Darth Vader breathing.

Webster’s dictionary defines glitch as: “A turn breaking July and these skid rare genuine Glenn during it.” And the prophet Jonah was said to have “glitched furtively like a proto-Canaanite.”

My sense of glitch encompasses multiple senses of the word: electrical or computer malfunctions; datamoshing and/or databending which includes translating digital files from one medium to another, and then sometimes editing them and translating them back to the original medium; and slippery, slidey, skipping, stuttery buffer effects. So I followed several different approaches simultaneously:

I imagined an auto-Mellotron, built to mechanically play classical pieces from MIDI files, whidh has gone awry. I used public domain MIDI transcriptions of Debussy’s “Clair de Lune” and Sousa’s “Stars and Stripes Forever” downloaded from the Mutopia Project, which were provided as both left and right hand piano parts. The MIDI files were sliced into small segments and then played back out of order, the left and right parts each separately randomized. The right hand part is played by sampled Mellotron flutes tuned to Meru (1-1) Scale D and the left hand part by sampled Mellotron violins tuned to Meru (1-1) Scale H. ( see: http://www.warrenburt.com/microtonal_resources/algorithms_microtonality_performance_materials/Proliferating_Infinities_Scale_Catalog.pdf )

I created an audio file by importing Peter Blasser’s shtar firmware into Audacity as RAW audio. The resulting sound was quite short, so I stretched it by 40,000% and it ended up sounding quite buzzy and electrical. It is fed into the plugin Tantra to make it more rhythmic.

I converted the song “Buckle Up for Safety” to an MP3 and then edited it with a text editor, doing some cutting and pasting of text, sorting some lines alphabetically and removing excess white space. The drum loop was slowed down and is played back with irregular swing.

Sorry for the late posting, but there was a (you guessed it) glitch in uploading my track to SC earlier.

This is duet between an accidentally glitched piano track, and a purposefully glitched CD drive.

The piano track was originally recorded in an attempt at a previous Junto challenge (0221: Morning Music). A processor-hungry reverb plugin overtaxed my computer, and the resulting glitched track was made.

The CD drive duet track is a recent recording of my computer trying to read a cracked and blistered CD. I placed an EM pickup on the outside of my CD drive to record the tried, failed, and glitched attempts at reading it. Some edits were made to make the part a slightly more ‘musical’ progression to accompany the piano track. The ‘crickets’ are an artifact in the EM recording, that I highlighted with a bit of filtered delay. There’s a touch of reverb and a second hidden delay in there somewhere, too.

Sounds like it’s in the style of Richard Devine, with a slight industrial lean. Nicely glitched!

Thanks! It felt like it was going off the rails a few times as I worked on it.