Disquiet Junto Project 0351: Selected Insomniac Works Volume II

The Assignment: Rework some very quiet music by making it even more sedate.

Step 1: Last week, about 60 members of the Disquiet Junto recorded ambient music for the middle of the night. The specific request was to “Make very quiet music for very late at night for very fragile psyches.” This week, we’ll each select a track from last week and proceed to dial it down even further.

Step 2: Listen through the tracks from last week’s project, and choose the one whose ambience you want to employ in your track.

In addition, there may be some other tracks from the project in the Lines discussions, here:

https://llllllll.co/t/disquiet-junto-project-0350-selected-insomniac-works/

Step 3: Having chosen a track in Step 2 above, confirm that your chosen track is downloadable. If it isn’t, either get in touch with the musician who made it, or choose another track.

Step 4: Listen closely to the track you selected in Step 3. Consider what edges it has that might be smoothed out, what drama it has that might be subsumed. Consider how you might do such things while retaining something that is inherently listenable, should someone choose to turn up the volume and focus on it.

Step 5: Rework the track you selected in Steps 2 and 3 to achieve the goals that arose from Step 4.

Six More Important Steps When Your Track Is Done:

Step 1: Include “disquiet0351” (no spaces or quotation marks) in the name of your track.

Step 2: If your audio-hosting platform allows for tags, be sure to also include the project tag “disquiet0351” (no spaces or quotation marks). If you’re posting on SoundCloud in particular, this is essential to subsequent location of tracks for the creation a project playlist.

Step 3: Upload your track. It is helpful but not essential that you use SoundCloud to host your track.

Step 4: Post your track in the following discussion thread at llllllll.co:

https://llllllll.co/t/disquiet-junto-project-0351-selected-insomniac-works-volume-ii/

Step 5: Annotate your track with a brief explanation of your approach and process.

Step 6: Then listen to and comment on tracks uploaded by your fellow Disquiet Junto participants.

Other Details:

Deadline: This project’s deadline is Monday, September 24, 2018, at 11:59pm (that is, just before midnight) wherever you are on. It was posted just before noon, California time, on Thursday, September 20, 2018.

Length: The length of your track is up to you.

Title/Tag: When posting your track, please include “disquiet0351” in the title of the track, and where applicable (on SoundCloud, for example) as a tag.

Upload: When participating in this project, post one finished track with the project tag, and be sure to include a description of your process in planning, composing, and recording it. This description is an essential element of the communicative process inherent in the Disquiet Junto. Photos, video, and lists of equipment are always appreciated.

Download: Please consider setting your track as downloadable and allowing for attributed remixing (i.e., a Creative Commons license permitting non-commercial sharing with attribution, allowing for derivatives).

Linking: When posting the track online, please be sure to include this following information — as well as the name of the individual whose original track you’re reworking, and a link to that source track:

More on this 351st weekly Disquiet Junto project (Selected Insomniac Works Volume II / The Assignment: Rework some very quiet music by making it even more sedate) at:

https://disquiet.com/0351/

More on the Disquiet Junto at:

https://disquiet.com/junto/

Subscribe to project announcements here:

http://tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto/

Project discussion takes place on llllllll.co:

https://llllllll.co/t/disquiet-junto-project-0351-selected-insomniac-works-volume-ii/

There’s also a Junto Slack. Send your email address to twitter.com/disquiet to join in.

Image associated with this project is by Chris, used thanks to Flickr and a Creative Commons license:

https://flic.kr/p/yfhgm

https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/2.0/

The project is now live. Can’t wait to hear what people make of each other’s work.

I used the track: Nightpatterns Dascott – Disquiet0350-nightpatterns

Please note, I made a small edit to the instructions, bolded here:

Linking: When posting the track online, please be sure to include this following information — as well as the name of the individual whose original track you’re reworking, and a link to that source track:

I’m holed up in a hotel in Shinagawa, Tokyo this morning avoiding the rain, and as I was listening through last weeks list I was struck by Bjarl Stedt’s track “A walk in the sun” and sevenism’s track “midnight solo (falling leaf)”. In my head I was hearing the interplay between the two tracks, the bits that were harmonious and the bits that were dissonant. I decided to combine both tracks and see where that went. I only have a very barebones setup with me, basic Logic install and a few plugins. I used grain delays to process both tracks, a little EG and compression. Thats it.

I reworked Sevenism’s “midnight solo (falling leaf) disquiet0350” - 7777777777 – Midnight-solo-falling-leaf-disquiet0350

The original track was cut up into six sections and loaded into the iOS program Samplr on my iPad where I made some adjustments until I was pleased with the results.

This is just the first 2 minutes. There is a 20 minute version in my podcast: http://ambient.libsyn.com/falling-midnight-sevenism-ambient-rushton-podcast-141

Hey All, Wow 60 tracks! That’s a Jumbo Junto so I did a random number generator and hit the jackpot with 31. It was Daniel Diaz’s excellent track from last week. This was a good assignment for me as I usually stomp all over other people’s tracks when remixing them. This called for subtlety a trait not usually applied to me but I really wanted to really make this a dreamy faintness of a mix. I did other mixes and I will include an earlier one as a non-submission but it might be good for comparison to the final track. That original shrimpy track may be a better mix but it still sounded too full for what i wanted. On the shrimpy I first made a -12 transposed track unwarped and a midi converted track of piano and both were loaded with reverb and mixed in with the original and I added a track of pitched down whispering. Those tracks were heavily EQed so that just a thin spectrum was allowed. The “Shrimpy” track was then taken and really EQed and compressed heavily and volume had to be lowered cause it was rumbling big time in my speakers. I copied that and panned right and left to really spread it out and thin it out. The original would be hard to top mix wise but I do think this subdued it. I had a lot of fun looking on google images for Skimpy Dress DD. Real cool assignment Marc.

Peace, Hugh

I wanted to combine all the tracks into an ambient stew but soon realized my DAW would bleed out my computer ports if I did that, so I took the first 8 I could download and load into my DAW, sorry everyone else, I did want to put you in. Maybe one day!

After that each was equalized and reverbed to taste. You all sound very good. Here’s the tracks used:

Cboulter – September-13th-disquiet0350
Dot_slash_noise – Disquiet-junto-project-0350-selected-insomniac-works-disquiet0350
Klaatuberada – Apob-tan-lines-version-3
Markrushton – Dohm-rushton-disquiet0350
Detritus-tabu3 – Sleeps-with-the-fishes-disquiet0350
Glsmyth – Music-for-insomniacs-disquiet0350
Ethanhein – Its-oh-disquiet-disquiet0350
Hypoidsound – Reliqua-disquiet0350
Healthylives – Five-borders-disquiet0350-selected-insomniac-works

Cheers everyone!
An early entry in preparation of busy times :-/

Counting Sheep(Hypoid remix)[disquiet0351]
Thanks @Morgulbee for the inspiration and use of your track!
Rational - I am always leery of changing anothers work, especially when subtracting elements. Adding a little something seems less intrusive than removing from the originally intended work. Maybe it’s just me. Counting Sheep was one of my favorites last week, but rather than dampen the original I wanted to create a new piece inspired by, using the original as a starting point. I hope it works…
Method - I took a section from roughly one minute in and about one minute long. This was both time stretched 992% and transposed down an octave with some eq applied. The next section is the last minute of the track stretched 524% with eq, chorus and a vintage delay in Discord4. These were stacked as new tracks in Cubasis playing simultaneously. Some volume automation and fades finish those and the master track has some minor eq as well.
I thought it came out well, with those lovely bells changing in tone and tempo, but remaining recognizable to the original, like an extension slowing further into the night :slight_smile:
Hope you enjoy!

Hi, I just looked up how to enable downloads (not too complicated :wink: )

remix of @anatol https://soundcloud.com/analoc/dorchester-pink-disquiet0350 i loved this track. we were in dorset the other day and happened to be near dorchester - which is meaningful for me and my partner as our first home was on a road called dorchester court (i slept better there!)

the lazy choice to smooth something out is by increasing the time resolution in paulstretch. i didnt just do this.

i duplicated the track a couple of times. in audition i applied chorus and convolution reverb
in live 8 i used 6 string ambience and valhalla freq echo (lots of feedback)
back in audacity i had the first 2 tracks fading in and out and the 3rd track fading in throughout. eq’d the low end a bit.

Wow great Hugh, thanks for this, good job taming the gentle little beast.
Your track is fabulous and I look awesome on that skimpy dress!
Love/DD

The Assignment: Rework some very quiet music by making it even more sedate.

Used this track: https://soundcloud.com/klaatuberada/apob-tan-lines-version-3?in=disquiet

I have fabulous souvenirs about last week’s playlist that I listened all the way thorough and founded awesome, but I’m lazy, I just went to the playlist, listened to the first track and went for that one, APOB’s Tan Lines.

I wanted to add a repetitive, hypnotic component to APOB’s already oneiric track.
First I slowed it down a bit, changing pitch at the same time, from Bmaj to Amaj.
Created a 4 bar loop out of it.
Then made a second track an octave lower.
I recorded an Epiphone electric guitar through several pedals (loop and pitch shift delay ) to create a real time performance in 3 tracks.
Then I just edited and mixed in and out those 6 tracks and that’s it.

Thanks APOB for such an inspiring track.

love

DD

Love it! Much improved :slight_smile:

@Hypoid this is awesome! It’s what my track might sound like after falling asleep and the dreaming starts. And thanks for describing your technique. I don’t play around much with audio transformations, so I can use this to learn!

I chose Amelie’s wonderful track High on Defalgan. Instead of (following the directions) smoothing it out, I did the opposite. I added bass, trumpets, strings and a synth wash while (I hope) keeping the integrity of the original track. Thanks Amelie!

And the playlist is now rolling:

Thank you very much! I’m glad you enjoyed, it’s always a little unnerving changing someone’s work. I also wrestled with the title…originally it was ‘Count Morgulbee’. Which do you prefer? Thanks again for the great start :slight_smile:

//disquietJunto0351

~b0 = Buffer.read(s, “/Users/evanhartzell/Desktop/minidesktop/SCpractice/junto0351/slip under mixX.wav”
);

(
SynthDef.new(\junto0351, {
arg amp=1, out=0, buf, freq=0.15, start, end;
var sig, ptr;
ptr = StandardL.ar(freq).range(start, end);
sig = BufRd.ar(2, buf, ptr);
sig = sig * amp;
Out.ar(out, sig);
}).add;
)

x = Synth.new(\junto0351, [\buf, ~b0.bufnum, \start, 0, \end, ~b0.numFrames-1, \freq, 0.1]);
x.free;

//thx @Zedkah

Very nice track. Would love to listen to the original track you used, can you link to it?
Cheers
dd