Disquiet Junto Project 0352: Layering Permutations

Hey Y’all.

I made a pretty simple piece using piano, twelve string guitar, cellos, bass and some drums. I thiiiink I accomplished the goal of this project?

Thanks for listening xo

Hi here! – I created a melody and two permutations of it (D harmonic minor). These are introduced in the order of A, B and C and then permutated in different combinations. To avoid too much obvious minimalism, I varied the melodies over three octaves, used some delay and reverb, and the whole score changes between three layers of instrumentation (sine, saw, piano).

(Nerd alarm: This image of M82 is a composite with three layers combining data from the telescopes Spitzer, Hubble and Chandra. Credit: NASA/JPL-Caltech/STScI/CXC/UofA/ESA/AURA/JHU)

Glad you did go to the vaults. I listened to your track 4 time sin a row. Excellent.

Here’s mine for this week.

I was pleased to take delivery early in the week of an Instruo C-SL complex oscillator for my Eurorack system, which with it’s multiple outputs and volt per octave ins seemed ideal for such an exercise.

However, that would be well within my comfort zone. So I choose to use bass guitar instead. I only made two layers as soon became apparent that three layers would be far too muddy.

I added some percussion and a sample of some air traffic control from freesound.

This very short melody experiment involve effects, a looper, acoustic guitar, electric guitar and a drum machine (which does very little).

I played around with the Mono sequencer by Max For Live in Ableton Live 10, then I added some ambient chords in the background to make it deeper. I automated volume and filters and cut some parts to create variations.

Hey all,

A variation of the piano melody used in an earlier work, ‘Waltz for a Dark Dream’. The basic melody structure carries throughout, with three piano tracks emerging and weaving in and out of the lead. The intro piano has some tape delay, the second has a lengthened tail delay and the third has some stereo effects. As the piece progresses, two more pianos are playing complimentary chords, one eq’d with a Klevgrand Degrader and the other running DLYM delay modulator. A final piano plays a wandering arpeggio mess and uses AudioDamage Discord4 and some stereo processing for a distressed and worn turn towards the end. A simple bass anchors the melody with some depth. Not sure here, your results may vary :-/

Listen to disquiet0352 - Layering Permutations - Polymetrics by Sarmism #np on #SoundCloud

Made a simple melody on the Deluge. Copied. It, applied a different voice and added the occasional bass note.

Repeated similar process again.

I then decided polymeters would be a good way to go and cut a few beats of each track.

Waited 8 minutes for the meters to line up after which I got bored and lined them up myself!

Hey All, I had done the classical version earlier but thought the two other melodies did not match the original very much so I did a synth version that I thought matched the idea of the assignment better but i do like kinda like what happens in the classical also.

Peace, Hugh

I did this Junto while on Catalina Island for a wedding weekend, so all I had was my PO-33 and my Bastl Kastl. I recorded some tones with my Kastl and layered three melodic lines into the PO-33. I also added some percussive elements I recorded on the island. Simple but effective.

https://soundcloud.com/ohm-research/seise

With only a few hours to spare on a Sunday and a new Synthstrom Audible Deluge waiting to be explored, I decided to use this Disquiet Junto as a way to get to know the machine. It’s a great machine. All sounds are from the Deluge. My main goal with this sequencer is to use it with my Eurorack system. Using the internal sounds is convenient, but I miss the instability and character of the modular.

Missed last week, but happy to rejoin this week! I’m terrified of writing melodies - I’m usually a more ambient, atonal, long-drawn-out-chords kind of composer But I wrote a little 8-note melody, then wrote two variations with varied lengths and looped them…and was so surprised at the result. Added a Euclidean percussive loop underneath created with the Box O Tricks Kontakt library and some delay/down-sampling effects. Totally surprised by the outcome, but super happy with it!

It works really well imo. Nice subtle grit in the sounds too.

I did a similar trick with loops of different lengths, but I like the result of yours more. I find this Steve Reich type musical phasing sometimes suggests echoes, but the variations mess with your expectations enough to be more energetic-sounding than straight echoes. I also think introducing actual delay as you go works really well in this case.

hi everybody,

hope, you’re all doing well! it’s great to participate here and start again - after a long ‘baby-break’ - to activate processes…

i started with a quite short melody for piano and then recorded two permutations of it (just the simple form of shifting the chronology of notes).
then i slightly changed also the length of the loops (1:original 2:a bit longer 3:a bit more longer)
After all i also inverted each of these three, and so i got 6 different loops based on the same notes.
i recorded the whole thing, adding layer by layer. after all of them were into the circle, i additionally send the whole signal through a microtuner and a spectral harmonizer, to add a little bit of varied frequencies.
after all, i faded out variation by variation, until only the original finished the piece.

have a good week everybody.
with best
C H I L D

Dates are hard. Can I submit by midnight tonight, or is this over? (I have a project for a grad class using permutations that I’d like to adapt and see what happens)

Disquiet0352
Motif/Melody
• Composed a one measure motif then used this to create the other motif/melodys
• Placed it on three different tracks
• Synth, Bass and Guzhen
• Used an action in Reaper that randomizes the notes in a midi piano roll
• Cut and pasted the media items in Reaper and mixed, mastered

Really nice and interesting

Quite nice and calming:pray:

Max patch that fills a coll with 24 permutations from a four note string. Copied it three times, and then had urn/random choose different octaves for one voice in each string every bar, where each voice can be set +12, -12, or 0.