Disquiet Junto Project 0352: Layering Permutations

Yes, especially the octave up really exposed the inconsistencies in the dynamics of my playing. Certain notes really stand out.

I experimented with actually playing the melody an octave lower and half speed, then removing the highest line and lowering the octave lower to get two octaves lower and four times as slow as the original…but that sounded bad (in context).

It would definitely be worth being more conscious of what will happen to the original loops. Like if I knew one of the loops was going to be raised an octave, playing it with a more mellow tone on the guitar, or maybe a little softer.

I love the 16th note offsets in your piece. It’s so cool to hear the little melodies emerge in your mind from within the originals. It reminds me I have to get back into trying to learn to play Steve Reich’s Violin Phase! It’s a big challenge.

Hi all, I am just back from a retreat up a mountain in Wales, where I had no access to my music making tools or the internet - hence being a little late to this. I am also in preparations for the Naviar Haiku Fest gig on Saturday, at which I plan to improvise some music on piano with added effects - so my take on this week’s challenge was to use long delay to create three layers that will play on top of each other like a sort of improvised canon. I tried to make sure that with each round the melody was changed only a little, so there are nice moments where it all lines up amid the sections where it becomes syncopated. The resulting piece had a ‘swirling’ feel that to me evoked the falling leaves I have spent the last few days watching.

Brought to mind simultaneously both ‘Ohm Sweet Ohm’ by Kraftwerk, and Ivor Cutler - which is a great combination :smiley:

For those unfamiliar with Ivor:

Actually - there seem to be quite a few entries that have that ‘homemade’ feel using simple sounds this week, love it!

Really lovely piece!

Bravo! Fantastic piece.

Cosy, but not too much - like a cool pillow.

The value of being more conscious… Well, I believe it’s worth exploring both ways. Totally intuitive and without thinking, as well as really planning ahead. Lately, and especially doing the Juntos, I’ve taken the chance to work really fast and reckless. Moving forward with “no undo” and letting the happy accidents happen.

Brian Eno has presented his concept Control/Surrender in many interesting talks and I’ve been very inspired by it.

Oh yeah…that stuff’s way easier to say when you’re Brian Eno!

Love it. Somewhat recalls the quieter moments of Wim Mertens.

Mm, it’s not really about being Brian Eno, but about an underlying principle of how a succesful creative process in any artform often changes between stages of control (planning/engineering etc) and surrender (intuition/acceptance/adapting to the circumstances):

At around 9 minutes in this interview Brian Eno explains his view of surrender:

There are A LOT of articles, lectures where he goes into this subject.

Yes! I love this interview. Eno’s philosophies…there’s not much that can be said.

All I was trying to do with my comment was to poke the sort of student/master distinction. Thinking about the emphasis required to learn basic techniques (in my case, controlling my dynamics better) as the control side, and the masters way of “thinking about the music” (not having to worry about their dynamics) as the surrender side.

The control/surrender divide is also really nicely emphasized with these disquiet junto projects, which is why I’ve been attracted to getting into them for a while. You have to take what you have (your gear, past experiences) and make something in a short amount of time. Then just put it out there. It may not be your greatest work, but it’ll be fine and a learning experience.

I got the humor in your Eno comment. It reminded me of this experience in tai chi class two days ago. I was new to the class and this other person was new, too. We were at first the only ones in the room. Then this much older person walked in, and the other new student asked the new person, “Are you the instructor?” The new person’s response was “I lead the class,” I love how the person leading the class expressed mastery by denying mastery. (Handled the wrong way, this denial of mastery can come off like a humble brag.)

Thank you, I really enjoy playing it and it’s getting easier setting it up as time goes on.

My bum is Cold! Great lyrics, I’m going to have to check out more Ivor.

He was a playful eccentric genius. His Morse code message in that song says ‘I am Here’ :slight_smile:

Ha ha nice - both of these tunes are new to me, thanks.

I used an old Wurlitzer organ, so it definitely has a low-tech, living-room feel!