Disquiet Junto Project 0353: Warp & Weft

Best of the lot thus far. Nicely done.

It’s not weird at all (at least not in a bad way). It’s wonderfully inventive and futuristic, without being trite. Kind of recalls Erik Lindgren’s solo synth works before he formed Birdsongs of the Mesozoic.

Cheers everyone!

Dissonus (disquiet0353)
Torn from a different cloth, the alternate title for this weeks piece. Took a very macro interpretation of this weeks prompt. Taking in the whole cloth reminded me of a black midi score, but I was looking for something more intimate. So I zoomed in and tried to find a note progression that fit.
I had settled on an organ sound, more gritty than most, that possibly sprang from some subliminal spiritual crisis deep within the dark recesses of the mind :wink: So naturally I added more of this torn sound.
Four organ/keyboard sounds in total and one lone percussion that enters halfway in.
The effects most in play with the organs include eq, amp sims and panning, but also included are a few sends to Degrader, Duplicat and Replicant2. The unusually lonely percussion hit gets tape delay and a big overdrive. Most of these sends were live automated for varying levels of grit and destruction. Not exactly like the fine pattern in this weeks prompt, more like one that’s been torn, tattered and frayed over time.
dissonus(latin) - discordant, confused; different

Great, so don’t ask an expert if you are not ready for an ensuing answer…
There’s no harm on overthinking actually, it was enlightening to read your expert’s explanation.
Great track really.

Having trouble with descriptions atm …

Suss Müsik loves experts. That’s why the Junto is so wonderful, week after week.

I used the Orchestron Choir (the same used by Kraftwerk on RadioActivity :slight_smile: ) played on Nord Electro 5D.
A single continuous chord throughout the track is the scarf.
Well, I gather patterns by type and I assigned a note to each one, the width of each “bar” is the duration. I transcribed each note/duration on a Excel sheet and thanks a simple macro I made a midifile txt. I played the midi file with MaxMsp and after all this mess, I finally used Live for recording and mixing.

I’m a bit stuck on this one. Normally I’d painstakingly convert something like this to data manually, but one weekend isn’t enough time to do something like that. There seems to be an awesome max for live patch that can convert this to MIDI data, but I don’t have Max 4 Live.

Can anyone lend me a hand and turn this file into midi for me? As long as the data is read left to right I’m fine with it and I’ll find a way to make it sound musical.

I cropped it and made it black and white to make the data more crisp. Thanks in advance.

Hope this helps you!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7j5vtw0v6qgghrt/warp%20midi.mid?dl=0

My response started out as a more tangible response to the picture: using the elements as cues for timings and timbre; and then abandons this for a more conceptual approach as the pieces start to fit together and the sounds start to dictate their own needs, so to speak.

The basic idea was to use a Mannequins Just Friends to represent the warp yarns, with some chords and other things representing the weft. Together with various clattering and noisy stuff as the loom in action.

Weaving, Righting, Rythmatics

My first contribution to Disquiet Junto Projects.

semi randomly generated stripes. Each stripe contain a random number of whefts. Wefts evolve in a stripe. Wefts are made of phasing patterns.

Programmed with Supercollider.

I was happy about this piece not only because I created some music based on a visual score, I also wrote the outline/score away from any instruments and in large part stuck to what I wrote (I didn’t use the section about the frayed ends and changed the math a little to make one of the patterns sound better). Here’s the score I created:

I chose to create two layers. The first one on the score is what I’m calling the meta pattern. It’s a small subset of the full warp & weft image from the prompt. You can see which part I was working with in the soundcloud image. I wrote out the “rhythm” for the first two lines (which repeat on the third and fourth lines). Those rhythms are boxed in on my score; although I wrote them on two lines each boxed in area represents one line, with the black and white colors alternating. The rhythm here follows eighth notes in 9/8, a black count means play and a white count means rest.

The second layer, which I’m calling the texture layer, was based on the description above about the warp & weft technique, which I copied onto my score. The warp, longitudinal lines are held taut, so I used repeated notes to keep tension, and made a pattern of four descending notes to represent different warps. The rhythm here you could call quarter notes in 9/8.

The weft layer goes above and below the warp layer, so I created two patterns that would go above and below the pitch of the warp notes. The weft patterns move down when the warp notes descend. I played both variations of the weft patterns (notated one and two on my score). The rhythm here you could call eighth notes in 9/8.

The outline of the piece is this:

1. warp pattern
    2a. weft pattern 2 (as notated on the score)
    2b. weft pattern 1
    3a. meta pattern 1, using first note of weft pattern 2, then first note of weft pattern 1 (follows the descending pattern, although harmonic rhythm is four times faster)
    3a’. meta pattern 1, using third note of weft pattern 2, then third note of weft pattern 1
    3b. meta pattern 2, using second note of weft pattern 2, then second note of weft pattern 1
    3b’. meta pattern 2, using forth note of weft patter 2, then forth note of weft pattern 1

I hope that’s clear! If you just want to hear the all the layers, jump to 4:30.

I played all of this with my guitar into my boomerang looper.

Also nice tracks @DrTutut, @Autogeneric, @wkujater, and @janglesoul.

Thanks a gazillion! I’m going to get cracking on this now.

https://soundcloud.com/ohm-research/ww-disquiet0353

First off, thanks a zillion to @samarobryn for converting the image to MIDI for me! That was an enormous help. Check out samaobryn’s bandcamp at samarobryn.bandcamp.com/

Basically I took the midi files and loaded them into Reaper, and used my mutant brain to control my eurorack. So all external controls on this track come from the MIDI files generated from the image. All sound was generated from the rack.

I tried to add elements that semi-spontaneously added some "Warp and Weft to the piece, in the way I interpreted it. Random enough to keep it interesting, but predictable enough to lull you in a bit. It reminded me a bit of the “Music for Insomniac’s” Junto we did a few weeks ago.

I’m working on an aggressive electro-metal project, that I hope to be my main focus, but i’m enjoying the more laid-back atmospheric stuff more than I thought. Perhaps I’ll simultaneously work on something for chilling out. Either way, it’s fun to expand your horizons.

Try Spitfire Labs. I don’t like when a plugin editor makes me install a map but their instruments sounds awesome - and they’re free. They’ve got some electric and soft pianos, strings, drums…

Disquiet0353
Soundweaver
• Downloaded the picture of the loom-woven fabric
• Imported the picture into Iannix https://www.iannix.org/en/
• Used Iannix as a midi sequencer to play 6 different vsti’s in Reaper

I like the voices cool

Lovely! Enjoyed the way you interpreted the pattern decaying at the end.

I enjoyed it! There’s good nuggets here if you chose to continue on and shape it more to your liking. There’s both pattern and a bits of chaos in the weaving, and I think you captured that. I especially liked imagining the quick lof’d sound as ‘stitches’ (or rather, the tiny, individual pieces of weft that make up the pattern?). Bonus that you used a synth called Loom!