Disquiet Junto Project 0356: Ground Swell

A recent trip to Ohio was filled with blood (relatives), ancestors, and graveyards. One sunny, windy day we visited a smallish graveyard, adjacent to vast cornfields, to help a family history buff search for tombstones of our distant relatives. Along with the sound of wind whistling and gravelly footsteps, were ringing wind chimes - dozens of them - placed at graves throughout the site. A few families lent extra personality to their gifts: a set of chimes made from recycled glass bottles, one with rad fake skulls affixed to the top and bottom of the chimes, and one grave with pinwheels that rattled noisily in the quick wind.

The effect of it all was like stepping into a mystic’s tent - the chimes ringing out at the entrance, doorbells to another realm. I couldn’t help but think about who the chimes were really for: those of us listening on this side of the door, or those listening beyond.

All the sounds used for this piece are the field recordings of wind, wind chimes, pinwheels, and footsteps captured at Preston Cemetery in Alger, Ohio on October 3, 2018. The recordings were edited into small clips in Audacity, and then imported, processed, and the piece performed live in one take through the Borderlands Granular app on an iPad.

Welcome aboard the Junto, Scott. :slight_smile: A lovely, dark piece… Looking forward to hearing more of your experimental side around these parts.

Thanks so much! I really enjoyed supporting you on that show last month. Hopefully we can do it again soon.

Yes, I enjoyed it, too - mutual support! Hopefully more opportunities to share a bill again soon.