Disquiet Junto Project 0358: Rhythm + Blue(s)

a primitive notion of rhythm and blues–heavy sodden beat with wailing in the background.

Here, heavy guitar, dank drums,and a vocal loop cribbed from Hypoid’s amazing remix of the Disquiet 305 samples (I used the same loop in another non-Disquiet song: North_woods – Ceylon-blues)

all recorded in Ableton Live using the included amp plug-ins, two drum loops, and the strat copy shown here (a kit that my daughter and I built together when she was about 5 years old).

Love Swans. Love this!!

I’ve been thinking of selling my Digitakt, so I promised myself I’d give it one more solid go for this piece. TL;DR: Digitakt is staying. Some piano sample manipulation, some generative/glitch drums, some Satchmo. I went with a somber read of blue and the let the machine run wild on the rhythm.

I looked at the term thinking what I could do – electronic rhythms and blues scales.

Hi,
Sorry to have missed the last two weeks. Great challenge as always!

Swedish folk music has its own blue notes. In the old folk tradition I even believe I’ve heard they use quarter-tones. Anyway, so I figured I’d find some folk and fit it to rhythm.

Kulning is an old traditional singing that women up North sang to call their cattle home for the night. I found some kulning on youtube and set it to rhythm.

I happened to be examining wah-pedals last night and decided to record the plugging/unplugging and static noises. I chopped it up, improvised randomly and quantized hard to 16ths, chose a loop. I also added some 808-drums that I have downsampled with a zoom sampletrak.

The piano is AfroDJMacs 100yearold-piano sample set that he gave away for free (last week?) I have a handy app called Keyfinder which suggested the kulning sample was in G minor. So I worked from that.

here is mine!

I thought a lot about “Blue Notes” and rhythms.This was recorded live in one take. This is ciat-lonbarde’s sidrax and Norns Foulplay through cocoquantus2 into an ER-301 for reverbs and loops, then RIP :sweat:

https://soundcloud.com/ohm-research/a-bad-sine-disquiet0358

A Ladik R-120 throwing out the random voltages of a blues scale, triggering a Doepfer A-110-4, then processed by Clouds and an RT-60.

I figured I should finally post again since it was my suggestion. :wink:

This is the first thing I have done in VCV that I think is “complete.” It’s a simple soundscape: the pads are a standard blues progression, albeit broken down and taken apart. The bassline uses a blues drum loop into an envelope follower to trigger the synth.

I thought of the idea of “rhythm in blues” to get started. I…think it was successful? There’s certainly some occasional wailing.

Here’s a screenshot of the patch.

I started with a sequence in 7/4 beat (because it seemed so odd), went on with a very standard blues scale on a very basic CFG blues scheme and followed my instincts … until I lost interest. Because of that, I hated it for a while – now I like it very much.

Rhythm with the color blue. I attempted an idiot blend of those two ideas.

RRR&B - Raga, Reggae, Rhythm & Blues.

I didn’t really follow through on the ‘had you never previously heard “rhythm and blues” music’. It’s like i can’t unsee it;) I used a 12 bar blues for this piece, and focussed on layers of rhythms from different genres: Indian, Reggae, Funk, and the Blues. In keeping with Marc’s MO of applying constraints, I made this with BeatHawk on an iPhone. The stems were moved to Logic for a little polish.

Hey! I just started out focusing on the rhythm, hoping to add some blueish chord stabs down the line, but then I hit upon a vibe and just went with that - developing it as much as I could in the time given - resulting in this track. Another great experience!

What is Blue? Man, could go on and on and there is no time…still thinking about this.

NON_SUBMISSION Hey All, A little ditty using some of the Junto tracks I enjoyed so far. Just for anyone interested-it is pretty short. (TWSS) Peace, Hugh