Disquiet Junto Project 0363: Gymnopédie Rats

Disquiet Junto Project 0363: Gymnopédie Rats
The Assignment: Make over Erik Satie’s “Gymnopédie No. 1” in your chosen genre.

Many thanks to Peggy Nelson and Alex Hawthorn (aka @otolythe + @Hawthorn) for having proposed this project, at the tail end of last week’s project.

Just one step this week: Make over Erik Satie’s “Gymnopédie No. 1” in your chosen genre: metal gymnopédie, britpop gymnopédie, R&B gymnopédie, high school choir gymnopédie, slowed-down-800% gymnopédie, …

Six More Important Steps When Your Track Is Done:

Step 1: Include “disquiet0363” (no spaces or quotation marks) in the name of your track.

Step 2: If your audio-hosting platform allows for tags, be sure to also include the project tag “disquiet0363” (no spaces or quotation marks). If you’re posting on SoundCloud in particular, this is essential to subsequent location of tracks for the creation a project playlist.

Step 3: Upload your track. It is helpful but not essential that you use SoundCloud to host your track.

Step 4: Post your track in the following discussion thread at llllllll.co.

Step 5: Annotate your track with a brief explanation of your approach and process.

Step 6: Then listen to and comment on tracks uploaded by your fellow Disquiet Junto participants.

Other Details:

Deadline: This project’s deadline is Monday, December 17, 2018, at 11:59pm (that is, just before midnight) wherever you are on. It was posted in the morning, California time, on Thursday, December 13, 2018.

Length: The length of your track is up to you.

Title/Tag: When posting your track, please include “disquiet0363” in the title of the track, and where applicable (on SoundCloud, for example) as a tag.

Upload: When participating in this project, post one finished track with the project tag, and be sure to include a description of your process in planning, composing, and recording it. This description is an essential element of the communicative process inherent in the Disquiet Junto. Photos, video, and lists of equipment are always appreciated.

Download: Please consider setting your track as downloadable and allowing for attributed remixing (i.e., a Creative Commons license permitting non-commercial sharing with attribution, allowing for derivatives).

Context: When posting the track online, please be sure to include this following information:

More on this 363rd weekly Disquiet Junto project — Gymnopédie Rats: Make over Erik Satie’s “Gymnopédie No. 1” in your chosen genre — at:

https://disquiet.com/0363/

Many thanks to Peggy Nelson and Alex Hawthorn for having proposed this project, at the tail end of last week’s project.

More on the Disquiet Junto at:

https://disquiet.com/junto/

Subscribe to project announcements here:

http://tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto/

Project discussion takes place on llllllll.co:

https://llllllll.co/t/disquiet-junto-project-0363-gymnopedie-rats/

There’s also a Junto Slack. Send your email address to twitter.com/disquiet to join in.

Image from the International Music Score Library Project:

https://imslp.org/wiki/3_Gymnopédies_(Satie%2C_Erik)

The project is now live.

This is not really a Junto entry, its something I posted 3 years ago but thought it would be something for people to listen too whilst we wait for the metal gymnopedie’s to roll in!

https://soundcloud.com/user-208393504/gymnopedie-1-disquiet0363

Going for an early SWANS or MELVINS sound.
Impossible in two minutes, but fun to try.

Love it. reminds of the pixies also and certain QOTSA Tracks,
Great mix too!

Hey All, I was familiar with this piece as it pops up in many places and is a very lovely piece. I was unfamiliar with Satie and he seems like a very interesting cat. He later wrote what he termed furniture music that was music meant for a specific place to set a mood. He kind of was predicting the muzak of the future but I don’t hold him responsible for the bland muzak of today. So I went with the furniture idea and imagined all the pieces of furniture singing different parts like in Beauty and the Beast. So I put this in the Furniture Muzak genre.

Peace, Hugh

That made me feel a little sea-sick, but in a good way!!

Very carefully balanced - thing keeps stretching into space, but always manage to find their original shape again. Good work!!

I made this ambient version of Gymnopédie No. 1 back in 2013.

I decided to go with dub techno a la Rhythm & Sound.

My process was simple: I found a midi file online that split the piece into left- and right-hand piano parts. I chucked that into Reaper and played each part back on different synths (I use the free Synth1 way too much). Lots of delay fx (free Spaceship Delay, Valhalla UberMod and free SpaceModulator) and saturation (Reaper’s built in one). Tape drum machine sounds from Goldbaby. It probably took an hour at most.

I thought to do an ambient version but thought it would be kind of redundant. You’ve proven me wrong. Nice!

Well, that was brilliant. Loved the complex layering, and especially the stop-start dynamic.

This is what I love about disquiet - everyone’s contribution is different.

Wow, people are inspired this time around. Intimidating and lovely early morning listen. Bravo.

MIDI file of Gymno#1, SoundDust Emotional Piano, fed through 3 effects chains consisting of: 5 instances of Zynaptic Wormhole, 2CAudio Aether, Audio Damage Replicator 2, 2 instances of Zynaptic Adaptiverb (7th intervals). Output of one effect bus modulates send of another effects bus causing volume swells and weirdness.

Overnight, my brain decided to have Jean Michel Jarre play it in my dreams, in an Oxygene style… So that is what I am doing. Streichfett through a Smallstone phaser, with opposite panned delays, plus BS2 for the oxy-voice, MFB383 for drums, and a patch on the modular for the oxy-noises, and 0-Coast for the random drippy noises at teh start and finish.

This is a work in progress, I hope to get time to finish it this weekend, but I am not sure if I will, so I will update the track as it progresses.

In 2016, I challenged myself to get make some variations of Satie’s Gymnopedie. For this particular recording I took the MIDI-file recording, reversed it in Ableton, and just added some fairy-dust reverb to it.

What I like about it that it somehow resembles the mood, but still is unrecognizable as Satie’s piece. And I particularly fell in love with the melodies starting around 1:30 and 3:40.

I love how the mood is still there, it really compliments the original.

Wow - this piece can take a hell of a beating and still come out sounding great!