Disquiet Junto Project 0363: Gymnopédie Rats

This was a lot harder than I thought it would be. Still not perfect, but, it’s a start :wink:

Took Satie’s Gymnopédie No. 1, sped it up, added a few rhythm tracks and some classic metal yells. It’s hard to make a “metal waltz”!

Inspired by and derived from Gymnopedie, I just set about making something groovy which became more and more French as I took it forward, the last addition being the vocal samples. Another weekend well spent!

Genre: High School Jazz Band

This song sounds (to me) like something that would be playing in a lounge bar somewhere. It almost reminds me of Miles Davis’ “Kind of Blue”.
I would have loved to spend more time on this track, but what I am left with is somewhat of a High School Jazz Band rendition.

A Shout out to my buddy Jonathan Siemasko (an occasional contributor here at Disquiet Junto and overall nice guy) for the drum track and for his general help on the track. Thanks Jon!

Anyway, go grab a drink, sit back, and let the smooth jazz put you in a mellow mood. enjoy!

Transcribed the first 21 bar of Gymnopédie No.1 from www.8notes.com/scores/10375.asp into midi and used an Abelton marimba. From around the last bar fed the sound a simple delay return and used the feedback.

Gorgeous!! If it’s not too much to ask, how are you running through your guitar pedals and then back into Ableton?

In keeping with the spirit of the project, I started working on this Thursday evening and am turning it over three days later. It was around twice this length and I hope to eventually see it to fruition as a longer piece, but for now, this is my take on Erik Satie’s Gymnopedie No. 1.

Thanks! I recorded snippets of the track via Ableton onto the Microgranny, then ran the MG through the pedals and an audio interface back into Ableton. A lot of cable switching back and forth to get a version I liked. :slight_smile:

I would have missed the deadline, but for a last minute space-time relocation to Yakutat, Alaska, immediately prior to the tragic 1983 Yukon Time Zone expungement. (If there are any questions re: rules violations, I will defer to the authority of the Department of Temporal Investigations and the World Anti-Doping Agency. My only defense is: It was too late to turn back.)

My method this time was three parts sloppiness to two parts KeyKit Markov Maker to one part free online French text-to-speech. My chosen genre is: Rearranging the Deck Chairs.

It’s cold here in 1983.

Thank you for sharing. MicroGranny looks cool!!

Really enjoyed listening to all the Gymnopedie variations.
What needs to happen to all these Gymnopedie’s is for someone to time-stretch them all to exactly 10 minutes in length and play them all at the same time - would love to hear that!

love this! :slight_smile: