Disquiet Junto Project 0365: 2018 Tracker

Disquiet Junto Project 0365: 2018 Tracker
The Assignment: The Assignment: Create a sonic diary of the past year with a dozen (or more) super-brief segments.

Many thanks to Junto member Glenn Sogge (@GlennSogge) for having pointed out, awhile back, that this 365th project was coming into view. And thanks to member Nate Trier (@natet) for having introduced me to the idea of a “habit tracker.”

As is the tradition at the end of each calendar year, this week’s project is a sound journal, a selective audio history of your past twelve months.

Step 1: You will select a different audio element to represent each of the past 12 months of 2018 — or you might choose even more elements, perhaps building on the idea that this is the 365th weekly Junto project, and there are 365 days in the year. These audio elements will most likely be of music that you have yourself composed and recorded, but they might also consist of phone messages, field recordings, or other source material. These items should be somehow personal in nature, suitable to the autobiographical intention of the project; they should be of your own making, and not drawn from third-party sources.

Step 2: You will then select one segment from each of these dozen audio elements (if you’re doing a dozen items, one for each month, then five-second segments are recommended).

Step 3: Then you will stitch these segments together in chronological order to form one single track. There should be no overlap or gap between segments; they should simply proceed from one to the next.

Step 4: In the notes field accompanying the track, identify each of the audio segments.

Six More Important Steps When Your Track Is Done:

Step 1: Include “disquiet0365” (no spaces or quotation marks) in the name of your track.

Step 2: If your audio-hosting platform allows for tags, be sure to also include the project tag “disquiet0365” (no spaces or quotation marks). If you’re posting on SoundCloud in particular, this is essential to subsequent location of tracks for the creation a project playlist.

Step 3: Upload your track. It is helpful but not essential that you use SoundCloud to host your track.

Step 4: Post your track in the following discussion thread at llllllll.co.

Step 5: Annotate your track with a brief explanation of your approach and process.

Step 6: Then listen to and comment on tracks uploaded by your fellow Disquiet Junto participants.

Additional Details:

Deadline: This project’s deadline is Monday, December 31, 2018, at 11:59pm (that is, just before midnight) wherever you are on. It was posted in the morning, California time, on Thursday, December 27, 2018.

Length: The length of your track is up to you.

Title/Tag: When posting your track, please include “disquiet0365” in the title of the track, and where applicable (on SoundCloud, for example) as a tag.

Upload: When participating in this project, post one finished track with the project tag, and be sure to include a description of your process in planning, composing, and recording it. This description is an essential element of the communicative process inherent in the Disquiet Junto. Photos, video, and lists of equipment are always appreciated.

Download: Please consider setting your track as downloadable and allowing for attributed remixing (i.e., a Creative Commons license permitting non-commercial sharing with attribution, allowing for derivatives).

Context: When posting the track online, please be sure to include this following information:

More on this 365th weekly Disquiet Junto project — 2018 Tracker / The Assignment: Create a sonic diary of the past year with a dozen (or more) super-brief segments — at:

https://disquiet.com/0365/

More on the Disquiet Junto at:

https://disquiet.com/junto/

Subscribe to project announcements here:

http://tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto/

Project discussion takes place on llllllll.co:

https://llllllll.co/t/disquiet-junto-project-0365-2018-tracker/

There’s also a Junto Slack. Send your email address to twitter.com/disquiet to join in.

And the project is now live. Happy (almost) new year, everyone.

And here we go!

12 selection from 2018 in 5 second segments (links are to the full piece and score).

1. From The High Line (https://racketinmyhead.wordpress.com/2018/04/18/from-the-high-line/)
  2. Forms Of Japan (https://racketinmyhead.wordpress.com/2018/02/17/forms-of-japan/)
  3. The Default Mode (https://racketinmyhead.wordpress.com/2018/03/06/the-default-mode/)
  4. 327 (https://racketinmyhead.wordpress.com/2018/04/06/532/)
  5. Lucky Rounds (https://racketinmyhead.wordpress.com/2018/05/14/lucky-rounds/)
  6. Hold Music (https://racketinmyhead.wordpress.com/2018/06/01/hold-music/)
  7. Rude Mechanicals (https://racketinmyhead.wordpress.com/2018/06/30/rude-mechanicals/)
  8. Mise en Abyme (https://racketinmyhead.wordpress.com/2018/09/01/mise-en-abyme/)
  9. Music For Insomniacs (https://racketinmyhead.wordpress.com/2018/09/14/music-for-insomniacs/)
  10. Ground Swell (https://racketinmyhead.wordpress.com/2018/10/26/ground-swell/)
  11. 12 Hours (https://racketinmyhead.wordpress.com/2018/11/02/12-hours/)
  12. Walkthrough (https://racketinmyhead.wordpress.com/2018/11/30/walkthrough/)

Cheers -

george

Somewhat surprised to find I had many options to choose from for most months!

Hey All, 2018 the year I turned 50. The most traumatic event was Ginger getting bitten by a copperhead snake so I guess all in all it was a very good year for me. I hope everyone has a great 2019! Cheers to Marc for another year of disquiet. Peace, Hugh

Another year older & what do i get? Uh, well, gigs & gigs of wavs, if nothing else.

As ever, i scrolled through my audio dumping folder for 2018, picking out things that i couldn’t quite hear in my mind’s ear from title alone.

CONTENTS : : :

0.00:0.05 St Mary’s waves NYD.wav [modified 01 ‎January ‎2018, ‏‎21:25:01]
0.05:0.10 oatmeal+.wav [modified 15 ‎February ‎2018, ‏‎20:07:05]
0.10:0.15 thing.wav [modified 11 ‎March ‎2018, ‏‎17:49:58]
0.15:0.20 160418.wav [modified 16 ‎April ‎2018, ‏‎21:57:00]
0.20:0.25 SR172MS++±04.wav [modified 28 ‎May ‎2018, ‏‎15:38:26]
0.25:0.30 strangefragment.wav [modified 10 ‎June ‎2018, ‏‎09:03:18]
0.30:0.35 drone thing++f.wav [‎modified 10 ‎July ‎2018, ‏‎08:22:21]
0.35:0.40 200818_Insert 1.wav [modified 20 ‎August ‎2018, ‏‎21:02:33]
0.40:0.45 tedious advert++.wav [modified 02 ‎September ‎2018, ‏‎08:38:41]
0.45:0.50 151018+.wav [modified 15 ‎October ‎2018, ‏‎11:56:37]
0.50:0.55 staticburst.wav [modified 18 ‎November ‎2018, ‏‎12:03:50]
0.55:1.00 SR003.wav [modified ‎09 ‎December ‎2018, ‏‎17:38:14]

(modified date , rather than created date listed, as i’ve been obliged to migrate relatively prematurely. i have learned this year - though i think i knew it anyway - that i get a kind of acquisitive, delinquent self-archivist lust when acquiring storage media.)

Peace to all lines & disquiet folk, from a room of dust, wires, books & unfiled comics.

for this diary cut-up thing i’ve decided to use bits of my “tracks” from the folder ‘kuckuckwißenschaft’ which is my pseudo-‘project’ that features sketches and never-to-be-finished bits and pieces — because those definitely need reverse amputation (i think that’s when not a limb but everything but the limb is amputated) which about wraps it up for their opportunity to see the light of day (outside of an unadvertised soundcloud account that i was too ‘busy’ (read: lazy) to update anyway). it might be not ‘autobiographical’ however but rather antibiorgaphical in terms of not dealing with nostalgia of any sorts but instead dealing with shame i still remember in pristine detail and out of which i’ve made a decision to abandon them. haha only serious. each bit was carelessly selected from a variety each month of 2018 unmercifully had to offer. i decided to vary the length of each bit in a way that would be as short as possible to make however little sense it was originally capable to make :slight_smile:

Hello everyone, here is my retrospective for 2018.

Tracks with “xx” in the date refer to rough period of composition:

2018.01.22 BOSS DD7 into BOSS TE2 [demo]
2018.02.03 stereo mix (-48dB low pass filter) [2018a E.P.]
2018.03.17 track #2 [2018d E.P.]
2018.04.16 [1594] The Comedy of Errors [Shakespeare I E.P.]
2018.05.16 [1613] The Two Noble Kinsmen [Shakespeare IV E.P.]
2018.06.02 Return [how the night came // less than one split E.P.]
2018.07.23 Roy [The Tower mini-album]
2018.08.xx Interstellar Blues [RED E.P.]
2018.09.xx Ijuyr [BLUE E.P.]
2018.10.xx As You Like It [YELLOW E.P.]
2018.11.xx Morning is color and mist [GREEN E.P.]
2018.12.26 WOLF [BLACK E.P.]

Thank you Marc for working so hard for the benefit of everyone here.

Best wishes to everyone at DISQUIET // LINES. I stumbled across the community by chance and it’s been a source of happiness and inspiration ever since.

I hope everyone has a peaceful and productive 2019!!

1. Recording of the automated alert system at work
  2. “Ode to Denny” by Phil Kuhlenbeck, from the album Asynchronous (music and production by me)
  3. “Lysine” from my album “The Variations”
  4. Rain storm field recording
  5. “Fly Along Lines” from my album “Salted Garden”
  6. Distant thunder field recording
  7. Indian-style music I made
  8. “Deep Hover” single, also from my album “Throughput”
  9. “Throughput”, title track to the album
  10. More Indian-style music I made
  11. “Haunted by the Past”, new single to be released on January 4, 2019
  12. Even more Indian-style music I made

Cover image is a painting I made while listening to “The Unveiling” by Noveller.

I got accepted into a fine art gallery in Kansas City in 2018. My first ever representation. My paintings also started showing up in my albums and singles this year…

One second from sixty videos I’ve produced this year

Brilliant. More manic than John Zorn’s Naked City, and that’s saying something!!

I selected 12 sounds from my FreeSound.org account.
From these 12 sounds I selected short segments.
Lined them up from January to December. Ready.

I took 5 second snippets from the following tracks (allowing the final part a few extra seconds to fade out the piece):

Jan: Winter Light - a piece made for Naviar Haiku
Feb: Rain Soaked Hangover- a piece made for an Elecreonic Music Philosophy group exercise, using the 808 cowbell sample as the only sound source.
Mar: The Boat Rocks Gently - used on my EP “Undercurrents”
Apr: Birdsong In A Spring Garden - a piece for Disquiet 0327 where three parts are playing in three different time signatures at the same time: 3/4, 2/4, and 7/4.
May: Selene - Although this piece was not made this year, it was the title track of my album ‘Selene’ that was released by Naviar Records on cassette in May - this was my first album released by a label, and on a physical medium.
Jun: Live at The Birdcage, Norwich - part of my set at the Naviar Haiku Fest
Jul: Father Time - the electronic rendition of a piece I wrote for an Electronic Music Philosophy group challenge in odd time signatures.
Aug: Nightfall - a piece for Naviar Haiku challenge, later used on my album ‘To The End Of The Field’.
Sep: The Insomniac’s Lullaby - my piece for disquiet 0350 that I used in the EP ‘A Long Winter’s Night’ - that formed a seed used in…
Oct: Part of my live improvisation at the London Naviar Haiku Fest
Nov: The Infinite - a piece of space ambient used to close out my album ‘To The End Of The Field’
Dec: And The Sun Stood Still - a piece that developed out of my drone patch for Disquiet 0364.

All in all, quite a busy year!

I also stretched it using Paulstretch to 36.5 times the length, for a 40 minute long version. (365 times would have been over 6 hours, which is a bit excessive!)

The playlist is now rolling:

I used a small sample from each month in chronological order from a loop section of a clip for each of the 12 months.1-6 month had a 8th note common setting and 7-12 had setting of 16th notes. I used varied tempo for each month’s loop.I then played a slice using a setting for a max of 5 bars before going to the next clip stoping on month 12. I used a MAX for live EQ I built on the midi. I then used this to play thru with then 808, 707,909,606 bank on the Roland DJ 808 swith an instance on the 1 and the 2 ting it together with some effects on the tables. I then relayered it. I have been working on how to bring my experimental process to a more mainstream sound. I then played thru a looped slice of each month fading from January-December a few music memo clips and other stuff, with a MAX for live EQ I built this year also. I then played each clips loop section and faded thru the months over the 808. I hope you enjoy and I hope this made sense. Thank you for the awesome year!

Month
dis0316 clip of my first instance here 0 1.5
Jossified image PS photo sounder edit of a picture process testing 1.5 6.5
March Zoom Zen Zildjan 44196 clip of a magnet on cymbal on a 44.1 to 96 k conversion test 6.5 9.5
April_3274timeallmine clip of a clip from disquiet junto 327 9.5 11.9
mayolegenius Freestyle clip from music memo 12 12.5
june don’t go remix clip of my vocal from a remix I did 12.5 15
july galenite unused Freestyle clip from music memo 15 17
aug lakeside Neon img 0707 Photosounder sound of MAX for live image used in VJ set :17 :19
DJ 0352 img 1722 Photosounder sound of MAX for live image used in VJ set :19 :21:
oct 354unused Roli clip unused clip created on the ROLI for disquiet junto 354 I never submitted :21:5 :23:49
Nov clip Rolii Jam session Set up the ROLI to jam with a friend on i pad , block, seaboard :23:50 :26: 08
Dec Roli clip used for correction project Created a clip in the Roli to use to cover up sounds in a restorative project. :26:08 :26:89
![disquietjunto365 570x500](upload://dadX8gN8SmlYTe3CoTLijCHlYdN.jpeg)

<3<3<3 the found poetry of these namelets… oatmeal+, thing.wav, strangefragment, drone thing++f [AND ALL OTHERS]

2018 was my first year participating in the Disquiet Junto. Thank you Marc for your efforts and the opportunity to play along. The Junto prompts have been a huge boost to my creativity and inspiration.

My retrospective for 2018 is one minute of audio comprised of twelve 5-second snippets of original music and nature recordings I made throughout the year. It’s an eclectic mix of electronic music and birdsong, bots and nature, frantic and calm. Except for the final segment, the recordings are in the order I created them, almost but not quite month-by-month.

The cover image is an artistic rendering of my photo of a Sandhill Crane at Bosque del Apache, New Mexico.

1. Black Ripples - my first contribution to Disquiet Junto (0319)
  2. Hardly at Work (Junto 0324)
  3. Red Wing Blackbirds in Boulder (nature recording)
  4. Deep Thought (Junto 0327)
  5. I Am All Alone (Junto 0331)
  6. Birdsong in Orlando (nature recording)
  7. Singularity (Junto 0339)
  8. Kitchen Sinkology (Junto 0345)
  9. Counting Sheep (Junto 0350)
  10. Beyond the Trees (Naviar Haiku 246)
  11. Sandhill Cranes and Crows at Bosque del Apache (nature recording)
  12. Numerology (Junto 0332)

January: Six Legged Chair (disquiet0315)
February: Metal Biped, live performance (unreleased)
March: Organ45 (disquiet0326)
April: Ripples 2018
May: Skipping Through Sheherazade (disquiet0332)
June: Live at Resident, SF
July: rehearsal
August: rehearsal
September: Pond Walk, Infinite Set 3
October: Ritual of Recycling (disquiet0354)
November: Mechanism
December: Gymnopédie 1₁₃ (disquiet0363)

my work-in-progress naming discipline is… shaky.

Keeping with the autobiographical nature of the brief, I’ve kept these snippets fairly raw. Also, this is a mix of my solo composition and my bands.

January, 00:00 - 00:05: A clip from my very first Junto contribution - 冰 / Ice [disquiet 0314] - overlaid with a snippet from The Mindwarp Pavillion David Bowie tribute concert where I played guitar.

February, 00:05 - 00:10: A clip from another Disquiet contribution, The Resurgence [disquiet 0318].

March, 00:10 - 00:15: Snippet from Persian Love [where I play guitar] when we played at the Nannup Music Festival, with two field recordings done during my residency at the Burren College of Art, Ireland.

April, 00:15 - 00:20: Snippet from the In The Pines festival, where I played with the Furchick Orchestra.

May, 00:20 - 00:25: Some field recordings from my time at the Bundanon Artist Residency in NSW, Australia.

June-July, 00:25 - 00:35: A clip from the first track of my EP I released around this time, Truth and Consequences. The guitar from that track was originally taken from disquiet 0315, my second-ever Junto contribution.

August-November, 00:35 - 00:55: Clip from Marley Wynn [where I play guitar], along with:

October, 00:45-00:50: Clip from Corridor [disquiet 0348] that I played live;

November, 00:50 - 00:55: Clip from when I played live at WAMFest as part of the Experimental Showcase.

December, 00:55 - 1:00: Clip from a Furchick/Samarobryn live collaboration.

This was a really interesting exercise, really made me think back and appreciate all my experiences this year!