Not really a third of a full track, even—hopefully that’s helpful for someone in the future—just a synth line that wants friends.
I’ve been thinking about, like, process, a bit the past week, trying to figure out how to get past the point of little noodles with my modular. I realized (again? I think I’ve had this same realization like four times now) that I ought to build a patch I can stick with for a long time. Doing so will let me focus on the “playing” aspects of the patch rather than the “design” (okay so is Teletype or Ansible doing the melody? Is Just Friends an envelope generator or an oscillator? Is the second Three Sisters more of a filter or more of an oscillator? what about W/?).
Anyway, this is recorded on what I’ve come up with so far. Mangrove and self-oscillating Three Sisters are set up as one voice, with the possibility for each to FM the other (resulting in noise at the end of this piece), through a second Sisters as a filter, mixed by Cold Mac, and then into W/ set up as a sync’d looper, with an inverted envelope follower off of the dry signal modulating the amount of overwriting. In this recording I was surprised by how seamlessly the looped and dry signals worked together (see the bit near 1:00). In this configuration, Mangrove’s formant knob is magical and strange—many of the big timbre shifts in the recording came from turning it.
I call it a “study” because not only has the patch got plenty of room to add things, my ability to play it capably is definitely not all there yet. To wit, for a good thirty seconds I was trying to effect a timbre change without realizing that I had turned Mangrove’s air all the way down