Disquiet Junto Project 0371: Concrete Ambience

Disquiet Junto Project 0371: Concrete Ambience
The Assignment: What could concrete wallpaper music sound like?

Step 1: Consider the concept of wallpaper music.

Step 2: Consider wallpaper designed to look like concrete.

Step 3: Consider what concrete wallpaper music might sound like.

Step 4: Record concrete wallpaper music.

Seven More Important Steps When Your Track Is Done:

Step 1: Include “disquiet0371” (no spaces or quotation marks) in the name of your track.

Step 2: If your audio-hosting platform allows for tags, be sure to also include the project tag “disquiet0371” (no spaces or quotation marks). If you’re posting on SoundCloud in particular, this is essential to subsequent location of tracks for the creation a project playlist.

Step 3: Upload your track. It is helpful but not essential that you use SoundCloud to host your track.

Step 4: Post your track in the following discussion thread at llllllll.co:

https://llllllll.co/t/disquiet-junto-project-0371-concrete-ambience/

Step 5: Annotate your track with a brief explanation of your approach and process.

Step 6: If posting on social media, please consider using the hashtag #disquietjunto so fellow participants are more likely to locate your communication.

Step 7: Then listen to and comment on tracks uploaded by your fellow Disquiet Junto participants.

Additional Details:

Deadline: This project’s deadline is Monday, February 11, 2019, at 11:59pm (that is, just before midnight) wherever you are on. It was posted in the morning, California time, on Thursday, February 7, 2019.
Length: The length is up to you.

Title/Tag: When posting your track, please include “disquiet0371” in the title of the track, and where applicable (on SoundCloud, for example) as a tag.

Upload: When participating in this project, post one finished track with the project tag, and be sure to include a description of your process in planning, composing, and recording it. This description is an essential element of the communicative process inherent in the Disquiet Junto. Photos, video, and lists of equipment are always appreciated.

Download: Please for this project be sure to set your track as downloadable and allowing for attributed remixing (i.e., a Creative Commons license permitting non-commercial sharing with attribution, allowing for derivatives).

For context, when posting the track online, please be sure to include this following information:

More on this 371st weekly Disquiet Junto project (Concrete Ambience / The Assignment: The Assignment: What could concrete wallpaper music sound like?) at:

https://disquiet.com/0371/

More on the Disquiet Junto at:

https://disquiet.com/junto/

Subscribe to project announcements here:

http://tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto/

Project discussion takes place on llllllll.co:

https://llllllll.co/t/disquiet-junto-project-0371-concrete-ambience/

There’s also on a Junto Slack. Send your email address to twitter.com/disquiet for Slack inclusion.

The project is now live.

I jumped out of my seat when I saw the new junto went up! Really excited to get back on this!

Probably how my ex would describe my music :grimacing:. I Should give this one a go.

The timing here was great, since I was working on a malformed idea. With a little coaxing, it evolved into this. I began thinking of what concrete represents. It obviously must have some aesthetic meaning if it’s replicated in a wallpaper pattern. That leads one to wonder what wallpaper represents. We are covering something with an image of something often covered by something with an image of something covered… how absurd. Drawing from that, I imagined this ersatz concrete wall being present for a wide array of experiences but unable to interact or intervene.

Hi everyone!

Messing with Mysteron …

Have a lovely week,

h u :slight_smile:

thinking about concrete as hauntology - invisible in ubiquity, bland grey merging with uk skies; at the same time hard ugly imposing. there, always there.

made in piano genie then slowed down/distortion/ reverb applied over and over to make it brittle abrasive and yet aethereal

LOVE this quote, and your composition did it justice. Great opener for this week’s challenge

I fixed the length. I had the wrong text there. It now reads:

Length: The length is up to you.

hey. i’ve decided to take a rather literal approach and sampled a bunch of things scratching my wallpaper. these went into ER-301 to serve as source material (there are 1 manual grains and 3 sample player units involved). then (since wallpaper concrete pattern (as opposed to real concrete) is pseudo random (being but our attempt at recreating randomness found in real concrete)) i decided that the track should be generative, driven by pseudo random generators. here it is (the only sound source besides wallpaper samples is verbos harmonic osc whose amplitude is modulated by verbos bark filter envelope following, again, wallpaper samples) :slight_smile:
it involves some comb filtering / karplus-strong from the 2hp comb filter, too.
recorded live with no editing.

thanks!

And thanks for having caught the length error in the instructions.

Hey All, I guess we now know how OCD Marc is noticing the wallpaper. I on the other hand find myself many times walking into walls.With wall paper I like when the patterns are off just a tad so you notice the pattern. I don’t know why people feel locked into a pattern. My daughter is about to redecorate her room and shed the hottest pink known to Behr for something more 4th grade. I think now wall paper could be a cool accent. I must google. Hope all are well.

Peace, Hugh

The playlist is now rolling:

I envisioned a patterned concrete wallpaper with various nested shapes. To create these “shapes” I picked up some objects from the kitchen (storage containers, measuring cup, whisk) and recorded the sound of them scraping on a concrete floor (that’s my cat, FURRY KITTY, prowling that very floor).

I then sequenced the sound of each of these in ChucK with some high-pass filtering and reverb. At the end, the entirety of the wallpaper is revealed as all sounds come together and their pitch is altered while the reverb intensity increases and the gain fades.

code is here: github.com/charliekramer/ChucK…rete%20wallpaper.ck

made some mpc beats, feedback-ing through the echoplex

I really love wallpaper. I love how it’s a material that has to find a right balance between being aesthetically pleasing but ultimately ignored, like smooth jazz or elevator music.

I also don’t think that concrete is as solid and simple as we often believe it to be. I live in a city full of cracked sidewalks, crumbling bricks, and potholes. These decaying urban materials gradually take on an increasingly organic quality, as nature and the elements gradually reclaim the landscape.

This piece was created in Supercollider using the harmonies from the jazz standard “Autumn Leaves.” Some further processing and griminess was done in Logic.

Hello everyone. Well, it’s my birthday today so I booked the day off work. Woke up to Marc’s email - a great present!!

Having the house to myself for once, I really enjoyed spending some slow time with this. I sampled my palm thudding against concrete for a kick drum, my finger tip tapping concrete for a snare, and my hand lightly brushing wallpaper for a hi-hat. I used these samples to build a drum rack in Ableton. I set up six different drum patterns and programmed them to play in random order. Another two rhythm tracks were set to silence, which was my attempt at having rips or gaps in the wallpaper … or something like that. Next, I layered cello, violin, pads and piano. Finally, I played guitar >> volume pedal >> Strymon TimeLine (Lucid Dream) for some gentle swells. I took the high end off almost everything to get a sense of enclosure. I wanted the concrete walls to press in, exert pressure.

About an hour into the project, I realised that I was actually writing a track that would slot perfectly into my current project. I’m working on a soundtrack for Jorge Luis Borges’ masterful short story “The House of Asterion,” and needed a composition to represent the Minotaur’s maze. Concrete walls >> Maze. I couldn’t believe my luck!!

On the small off-chance that anyone is interested, I made a (terribly lo-fi) video for this week’s disquiet track and have put it into my slowly growing Borges’ playlist on YouTube.

Have a great weekend!!

Fantastic! Happy birthday!

I decided that concrete wallpaper music should sound like a very low rumble, a bit oppressive and disturbing. Not pretty really.

For this one I recycled ad Indian Harmonium improvisation I did some weeks ago for a collaboration with junto fella @howthenightcame . He did excellent use of it on his Babel Library EP here that I recommend.

But I wanted to do something with a very little melody that appears half way thought it.

Instead of building a new thing out of those little notes, inspired by this concrete junto I went for a different approach:

I routed the harmonium stereo mix through some extreme filtering to make it sound like it is played very loud inside a concrete bunker or building and you just hear hints of it through the walls. I played the little melody with several synths and electric piano, all filtered and sent through a “concrete basement” convolution reverb.

The final mix of the harmonium and the new tracks is heard as a very wet signal with loads of another convolution reverb: “giant concrete room”.

Features:

Indian Harmonium as it sounds listened through concrete walls

Synths and electric piano buried on “concrete basement” convolution reverb.

Happy birthday to you!