So my most recent ‘paid-for’ acquisition was Frozen Plains ‘Frostpoint’ collection of weird impulse responses, which in order to use I had downloaded the free SIR reverb vst (https://www.siraudiotools.com/sir1.php). As a sound source I used a field-recording that I made yesterday (Saturday) of a wonderfully creaky door hinge, and ended up using only one snippet which is the sound that opens the piece.
Tried automating some parameters in SIR. Result: crash of plug-in. Every time. GREAT
Undaunted - well, fairly daunted (I’m addicted to modulating parameters) but whatever - I discovered I could mangle the sample very nicely by feeding it through a chain of SIRs. One of the IRs (‘Sustained’ in the White Noise folder, if anyone’s interested) gave a quite musical result, so I set up 4-5 chains with that IR at the start and then feeding it through other IRs and different settings to vary things up. Rendered each chain on separate tracks in Reaper and faded them in and out and here’s the result: