Disquiet Junto Project 0372: Honeymoon Phase

So my most recent ‘paid-for’ acquisition was Frozen Plains ‘Frostpoint’ collection of weird impulse responses, which in order to use I had downloaded the free SIR reverb vst (https://www.siraudiotools.com/sir1.php). As a sound source I used a field-recording that I made yesterday (Saturday) of a wonderfully creaky door hinge, and ended up using only one snippet which is the sound that opens the piece.

Tried automating some parameters in SIR. Result: crash of plug-in. Every time. GREAT

Undaunted - well, fairly daunted (I’m addicted to modulating parameters) but whatever - I discovered I could mangle the sample very nicely by feeding it through a chain of SIRs. One of the IRs (‘Sustained’ in the White Noise folder, if anyone’s interested) gave a quite musical result, so I set up 4-5 chains with that IR at the start and then feeding it through other IRs and different settings to vary things up. Rendered each chain on separate tracks in Reaper and faded them in and out and here’s the result:

https://soundcloud.com/ohm-research/rekaerb-disquiet0372

Composed with Breaker

Last weekend i built 2 expander modules for my Music Thing Modular Turing Machine - the Volts and Pulses. Briefly, these are random sequencers. I got the idea for this piece from a review video by DivKid to clock the Turing Machine at audio rates, and effectively turn it into an oscillator. So the only sound sources are the Turing machine and its expanders. Pitches are performed via the pattern length knob - different length patterns at audio rate provide musically related pitches.
Volts acts like a wave shaper. Pulses with different clock divisions (not audio rate) provide the “drums” - these are literally the CV pulses used to clock other things sent out as audio. I did add some EQ to keep it from being too abrasive, and a little reverb and delay for rounding out the sound. And I kept it short - its a very up front, chip tune kind of sound.

I was so intrigued and charmed by PICO-8 that I purchased a license on a whim. Decided to learn the basics over the weekend. What motivated me were 1) being a passenger in a 4-hour total road trip, and 2) this week’s Junto. Because of #2 I’m submitting it as an entry, although I’m not sure if it qualifies being that it isn’t pure audio.

Recorded a video of the result: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnsX_JU6t3E

(My daughter insisted i name the project Blinky Blinky)

I “performed” the music using the 6 available input buttons (up, down, left, right etc.). Each button has a note mapped to it, except for two which randomizes between two notes - 8 notes in total. I post-processed the music through Ableton, adding delay and reverb (Valhalla) effects.

Playable “game” here: https://pirxthepilot.itch.io/blinkyblinky

Hello fellow music makers. Here is my submission for this week. I just got the wonderful OP-Z from Teenage Engineering and I decided to create a piece of music as a means of learning how to use it. I had already begun the composition a few days before the Thursday email arrived about this week’s project but it seemed appropriate to post it here as I am very much in the Honeymoon Phase with the OP-Z! Enjoy. I welcome your feedback.

PS there is a video version on Youtube as well using some of the motion graphics that come with the OP-Z https://youtu.be/z5hf_zmQdU4

Fantastic. Simply Fantastic.

Thanks man, I dig yours too. It’s one crazy little box of awe and wonder. Have fun!

At 13u by 104hp, my eurorack synthesizer is probably too large to be considered a single instrument. But it’s all new enough that I’m definitely still in the honeymoon period. As my first (and so far only) method of making music, it’s opened up a new world to me. Sometimes I forget that I’ve only been making music for 4 months!

In the spirit of the Junto, I stuck as much as possible to my recently acquired modules. Featured in this track are Tides, Supercell, Arpitecht with Triad, and QPAS. (I might have pretty bad GAS, but everything is still so exciting right now!)

0372disquiet
How do I do that?
1) Purchased Ableton Live 10 Intro a couple of weeks ago. This is the first time I have used it for a project… Still learning.

As luck would have it, I started to learn SuperCollider a few days before this Junto was announced. I created this track entirely with SC.

This is my very first SC program. My ambition for learning SC is to play with algorithmic composition, so I created a program that takes text as input and generates a melody and chords. I used Marc’s Junto announcement email as the text. The algorithm is very simple since I’m just getting started with SC. I spent more time fighting with the details of SC than with the algorithm. I like the chords it makes, but the melody generator could use a little refinement. The tones are simple sine waves with little modulation. I’ll evolve it as I get farther into SC.

Sound source: Recently acquired Teenage Engineering OP-Z
Process: Tape loops, digital loops, sequencer loops.

My ears are pleased that you have chosen melody vs noise! Nice textures and simple melody. All the makings of something enduring.

Thanks! Haha… Well, I’m a big fan of noise, but I’m trying to push myself to leave the comfort of atonality. :slightly_smiling_face:

A very late entry for me this week.

I decided to use Quanta granular synth VST and recorded in Reaper.

The render is simply made of two tracks.
One using a preset called “Tin Can Guitar” that I messed with and gradually modulate across some MIDI notes (gradually fading in / out an oscillator & noise, and just generally messing with the grain params).
The second is another instance of Grains using an audio clip of my girlfriend saying “jump like a yoyo” (although thats possibly beyond perceptible at this point :sweat_smile:)

Quanta is the latest bit of software I’ve been using and I’d been watching videos about Reaper FX automation. So this project came at quite a nice time :slight_smile:

I’d been busy, feeling lonely and a bit sick over the weekend. So, it was quite hard to motivate myself to sit down and properly work on the project.

I’m not over the moon about the final result. I was hoping to evoke a strong sense of memory and melancholia for a specific time in my life, but ultimately it feels a bit aimless. I like some of the tones, the wave like sounds and the rain on a tin roof effect. But I don’t feel the dialogue snippets properly gel within the sound or add very much.

But in reflecting on the process I can see the value in uploading even “failed” attempts. And an enjoyable peek into granular synthesis :smiley:

Hi everyone! It’s been a long time, and I’m happy to be back. :grinning:

Here’s my entry for this week.

I most recently bought a couple of plug-in instruments from Rhythmic Robot Audio. They make cool synths and weird little instruments. Check them out - https://www.rhythmicrobot.com/.

Of the most recent batch that I got, I picked a Hurdy Gurdy, because I love the drones and the sounds of the keys engaging, and the Haunted Piano for this track. Both plug-ins happen to have a delay setting that is delightfully imprecise but also sounds really cool. I tried to figure out what would sound cool and what would give me great happy accidents.

The beat that oscillates left to right is from the hurdy gurdy and I think it contrasts nicely with the piano.

All sounds from those two plug-ins with a little bit of verb, some EQ and gentle mastering.

Hope you enjoy!

I bought some new VST’s before the new year but haven’t had any chance to use them! So, for this track, I tried to use Klevgrand’s monophonic synth VST “Enkl” for every sound except drums.

I also tried to work differently than usual - I started in Ableton’s Session View, rather than Arrangement View, and got down ideas using the computer keyboard instead of a traditional MIDI keyboard.

I also tried to play first, judge later - which got me some fun results, like the arpeggiated “chorus” being 3 measures long instead of the traditional 4.

I also experimented with sidechaining gates to create new rhythms (in the synth especially). At one point the synth was sidechained to the kick drum which was sidechained to the synth…that didn’t work out so well.

This track was also the test run for a beats-driven album I want to make in 2019. A fun first step!

Just got a Volca Modular a couple weekends ago, it is both my first semi-modular and first west-coast style synth so I am only beginning to understand what all it can do. Korg has several patch examples on their site, so for this project I decided to create a song using only those patches.

I started off with a chord progression created by Chord Progression Generator. Then, I used the sequencer on the Volca Modular to record two simple sequences that follow the progression. I also wrote a couple melodies that can be played on the ribbon keys.

This song uses a single synth recorded six times, with a different patch used in each recording. During each recording, I listened to all of the previous recordings while playing. I recorded the percussive patch (“western bongo”) first, using the sequencer, to set the tempo. I recorded the most expressive melodic patch (“vibrato”) last, to make sure that it fit in with the rest of the song.

The soundcloud description includes links to a video of myself playing each part, Chord Progression Generator, and each of the patches used. Didn’t want to include any more links besides the soundcloud one here because I am still a relative newbie with lines & have accidentally screwed up forum posts by using too many links before :slight_smile:

Hey All, Being a gear slut and also having no money makes for a hard time but I have too many possibilities as it is so I like the limitation part of the assignment. I recently bought Pigments soft synth from Arturia as I received an email for a greatly reduced price because they know how a gear slut’s mind works.

Peace, Hugh

I’ve had an off/on love/hate (too strong, infatuation/disappointment?) relationship with iPad music making for a solid number of years now, but I got a new iPad recently. Felt slightly contrary to the spirit of the thing to avail myself of every iOS tool at my disposal, so I limited to apps I’ve acquired since getting the new device.

Aum served as file playback/processing hub. Sound sources were a pair of cheesy GarageBand loops and an iPhone recording of out of sync airport tvs. A reverb and the audio damage pitch shift/delay on aux sends, feeding into one another (and back into themselves) rounded the deal out.