Disquiet Junto Project 0375: Despite Yourself

The prompt got me thinking about what my personal theme music would be, my perfect baseball-walk-up-to-bat music. As a middle-aged Canadian white guy - this is not that track…

Created by messing around with pre-sets in GarageBand over my lunch break. It sounds nothing like ‘me’, but the haphazard technique is not that far off my normal style - so there are some underlying similarities to this bizarro strut.

This whole project is fascinating, but should I be liking the tracks that people upload?

If I like a track that is as unlike your usual music as possible, does that mean that I’m implying that I’m usually less likely to like your usual music?

Or… If I don’t like a track that is as unlike your usual music as possible, does that imply that there’s a greater chance of me liking your usual music?

Like most people here, my musical taste is pretty diverse, so I think the answer is “no” in both cases… But somehow I’m still confused!!

Didn’t have a whole lot of time this week because I’m getting ready for a very last minute holiday. :flight_departure::beach_umbrella::cityscape:

So, I figured I would sing an A cappella cover of the chorus of “My Only Sunshine” by Jimmie Davis (see the description on soundcloud for too much research into the song). Which I think I first heard on The Simpsons, this is ultimately a tribute to Marge Simpson. I’ve never taken a singing lesson in my life and mostly try to make electronic music with samples of other peoples voices.

Recorded in one take on a Zoom H1 and tried to sing in a way I never would.
Then I added a ReaPitch with two shifters to make it sound even less like myself:

• One shift of +8.59 semitones
  • One shift of -17.81 semitones down

I think the result is quite amusing, but inconsequential.

Today I heard Gavin Bryar’s amazing "Jesus` Blood Never Failed Me ". Then came the much miraculous task “despite yourself” from Marc.
I decided to wrote a piece of music, record it fast and rough, sing and play on my little Seagulls Merlin…and that was the answer, I never did a before, to sing for my father…

Ha ha. I mean, mine is awful and I would be flattered if I got any likes.

Oh this is messed up. I didn’t like yours, but you have to believe me - I mean that as a compliment!!

yeah, baby it's clear to see
you and i were meant to be
by the smiles in your eyes
when you're with me

can you feel it in your blush?
pulses begin to rush
the breeze dances through your hair
you're the answer to my prayers

the stars are out tonight
so come on, hold my hand
and we'll take flight
across the milky way

worship everything you touch
wish we could be together
is it too much?
is it too much?

got faith in my heart
you're beautiful, a goddess
hold you tight
so we won't be apart

yeah, the moon is in the sky
so come on, let's go fly
among the sea of stars
into another day

My bother-in-law loves polkas, and when he stayed with us for a few weeks at the beginning of the year he played them constantly while he worked from his room.
I listened to a lot of those tunes, and having never played or written one, I thought I’d give it a go…

‘Closer to Knowing’ was inspired by the dream mentioned in the lyrics, as well as a couple of blog posts by women I know.

To get my vocals to sound unlike my voice, I’ve pitched them up an octave.

It’s interesting that it doesn’t quite sound female, more like a man pretending to be a woman – reminding me of Eric Idle in Monty Python films.

Below is the demo version of the song that I recorded last year.

Recorded on 4 track cassette, using crappy old Casio keyboard, banged up electric guitar, distortion pedal and singing in an entirely made up language. That’s not me at all…

Just about all of my music is orchestral, where I make the score available to anyone interested. The music, for the most part, is rather tonal.

Unknown Particles is a departure from both of these, as I decided to jump completely into the atonal arena. While there are orchestral elements in this piece, the electronics work to create areas that are sometimes walls and at other times holes within those walls.

Another really interesting challenge this week. I started this as a drone (thinking I’ve never really made a drone track) which you’ll hear as the sound of a truck moving throught. But then I remembered the envelope component and had a great realization that I DO actually have those envelopes referenced in the description. In 1999-2001 I made a bunch of loops and other sound items to emulate surf guitar and lounge music (at the time) but sort of abandoned the idea. I found them in an old hard drive and sure enough I didn’t recognize myself in them. So I put them into a CD and drove around recording the result to make the sounds more ambient and part of this scene. Really fun endeavor for a Friday night, and something I wouldn’t do without the prompt from this forum. Thanks again.

Incredible. Polka Polka!

I didn’t think I was going to participate this week. I mean… if I could make music that doesn’t sound like me, maybe the music I make would be completely different? But then I heard the polka from @SityPhoxx and I knew I had a song for this week.

It’s a bit of a cheat. I composed this song about five years ago while studying a book on music theory around the same time that the Smithsonian released a library of samples as part of a contest. The result sounds like an 80’s sitcom theme song. Oddly enough, SoundCloud reported that the song received nearly daily play for over a year in Japan, my most-played song ever. Yes, ridiculous.

So here is my song of embarrassment, that years later, still does not sound like me, remastered and reposted for your enjoyment.

Oddly enough, SoundCloud reported that the song received nearly daily play for over a year in Japan, my most-played song ever. Yes, ridiculous.

Ridiculous for you, but I feel so embarrassed right now. Come on Japan, we’re better than this. Go listen to Richie’s other stuff!!

If you were to go back in time and flip through the record collection of 13-year-old Suss Müsik, you might discover a few surprises. Tucked somewhere between Lamb Lies Down on Broadway and the odd Brothers Johnson album, you’ll find the heavy metal classic Paranoid by Black Sabbath. Even today, a casual listen of “Fairies Wear Boots” is impossible to resist. Arms raised, convulsive head shaking, ‘devil horns’ hand gestures … the whole bit.

Birmingham in the 1970’s was a largely working class city, its economic infrastructure dependent on factories and manufacturing. The sound of early Black Sabbath reflects their industrial surroundings: a chugging, blues-influenced slog characterized by low guitar tunings and beastly repetitive rhythmic structures. It was primordial sludge with a lyrical penchant for examining one’s sense of identity under traumatic (and chemically self-induced) conditions.

Suss Müsik wonders if Paranoid had been a different sort of album had the band emerged from, say, London or Berlin. “The ability of each organism to respond to environmental challenges introduces a degree of uncertainty into the physical word,” wrote the physicist Louise B. Young in her book The Unfinished Universe. “Consciousness is the central experience of life … even the most elementary inert forms of matter act in a manner which extends their own existence [over] time.” The appeal of heavy metal music, despite the genre’s increased sophistication and diversity, remains fundamentally distinct: RAWK OUT, DUDE.

Suss Müsik created this warped piece as a sort of homage to “uncertain” heavy metal, investigating the nuances between cosmic self-examination and our rudimentary (almost primal) compulsion for survival. Think of it as Maslow’s Hierarchy of Needs set to 4/4 time with lots of guitars. It’s no “War Pigs” or “Iron Man,” but you might bob your head a bit. Bonus pseudo-mystical nonsense included free of charge.

The piece is titled Dopamine, the brain chemical linked to feelings of pleasure yet known to cause paranoid anxiety when administered in high amounts.

@DetritusTabuIII Much emotion there leads to much mirth here. I remember reading an interview with Kevin Smith, where he said he didn’t need to watch European movies because he saw those they influenced in US cinema. I feel you’ve done a similar service for me, thank you.

@Pineyb The vibe is strong and I dig it. Could enhance any number of scenes. Actually, now I think about it, there’s a 8mm home movie that would benefit from this.

@RupertL Funky AF, which means you’ve failed.

@sevenism Sounds like a band getting thrown out of a gig at one of those bars at the top of all tall building. I’m guessing that’s not your jam, so it’s a win.

@howthenightcame That kick in particular. I’d like to hear a melodica solo, otherwise a pleasant track with lovely spaciousness. You could be a scientist.

@gis_sweden Like the tempo, it got my leg moving.

LOL, you made my day. Loved your comment on SoundCloud too. Now I’m looking for images of green fluffy characters. :joy:

Ha-ha! To plagiarize from Tom Waits: „The computer‘s being funky, not me“ :joy:

@bassling I’m oddly enchanted by this. So mesmerised by the vocal sound that I didn’t listen to a word of the lyrics. I am, therefore, not “closer to knowing”. Glad you didn’t shatter the whispy dreamscape with a melodica solo!!