Disquiet Junto Project 0376: Pi Filling

Disquiet Junto Project 0376: Pi Filling
The Assignment: Celebrate Pi Day.

Step 1: There is only one step for this project: Make music by applying pi (3.14159…) in celebration of Pi Day, March 14, 2019.

Seven More Important Steps When Your Track Is Done:

Step 1: Include “disquiet0376” (no spaces or quotation marks) in the name of your track.

Step 2: If your audio-hosting platform allows for tags, be sure to also include the project tag “disquiet0376” (no spaces or quotation marks). If you’re posting on SoundCloud in particular, this is essential to subsequent location of tracks for the creation a project playlist.

Step 3: Upload your track. It is helpful but not essential that you use SoundCloud to host your track.

Step 4: Post your track in the following discussion thread at llllllll.co:

https://llllllll.co/t/disquiet-junto-project-0376-pi-filling/

Step 5: Annotate your track with a brief explanation of your approach and process.

Step 6: If posting on social media, please consider using the hashtag #disquietjunto so fellow participants are more likely to locate your communication.

Step 7: Then listen to and comment on tracks uploaded by your fellow Disquiet Junto participants.

Additional Details:

Deadline: This project’s deadline is Monday, March 18, 2019, at 11:59pm (that is, just before midnight) wherever you are on. It was posted shortly before noon, California time, on Thursday, March 14, 2019.

Length: The length is up to you.

Title/Tag: When posting your track, please include “disquiet0376” in the title of the track, and where applicable (on SoundCloud, for example) as a tag.

Upload: When participating in this project, post one finished track with the project tag, and be sure to include a description of your process in planning, composing, and recording it. This description is an essential element of the communicative process inherent in the Disquiet Junto. Photos, video, and lists of equipment are always appreciated.

Download: Consider setting your track as downloadable and allowing for attributed remixing (i.e., a Creative Commons license permitting non-commercial sharing with attribution, allowing for derivatives).

For context, when posting the track online, please be sure to include this following information:

More on this 376th weekly Disquiet Junto project — Pi Filling / The Assignment: Celebrate Pi Day — at:

https://disquiet.com/0376/

More on the Disquiet Junto at:

https://disquiet.com/junto/

Subscribe to project announcements here:

http://tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto/

Project discussion takes place on llllllll.co:

https://llllllll.co/t/disquiet-junto-project-0376-pi-filling/

There’s also on a Junto Slack. Send your email address to twitter.com/disquiet for Slack inclusion.

Image associated with this project adapted (cropped, colors changed, text added, cut’n’paste) thanks to a Creative Commons license from a photo credited to Emily:

https://flic.kr/p/82D1bt

https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/2.0/

The project is now live (and there was a one-digit typo in the email version but it’s fixed here).

What better way to celebrate Pi Day than to record an improvisation on the Groove Pizza? I used the Afro-Cuban kit and started with a two-slice pizza. As the improv continued, I added slices one at a time, until by the end, there were sixteen (the maximum number possible.) Along the way, I added and removed drum hits and rotated the patterns. I added some compression and reverb in Ableton but didn’t otherwise edit.

musedlab.org/groovepizza/

To build the melody for this piece, I first found the expansion of pi in base 12:

`3.184809493b9..._12`

Since it’s in base 12, I was able to match each digit to a note in the 12-note chromatic scale.

I then did some slicing and dicing, sprinkled some fairy dust on it, and I was done.

Various different ways of number crunching going on here from time signature to bpm to the rate of the lfos and the parameters on various fx etc I used several different resources after some google time, if you wanna find out more click on the link

I used the new Audio Damage looper called Enso inside an AUM session on the iPad utilizing Ravenscraft 275 piano, Cyclops and Mood (plus various FX).

Here’s what I did:
To determine my root note, I used a wavelength of 3.14cm, or 110Hz = A2
I decided on a lydian mode because I am fond of it
I played the first 14 notes of pi using A2 lydian notation (so the 3rd,root,4th etc,…)
I played 4 chord voicings using the same pi order, the first 3 chords in 4 note voicings and the last chord in a note 2 voicing (for the first 14 digits of pi)
I brought in 2 3rd/root/4th chords at 1:57 (half of 314)
I recorded exactly 3:14
I faded out at the end for 31.4 seconds

Really kinda pleased with the way it turned out. More musical than I would have originally thought.

Hi y’all,

for this track I used the first 20 digits of pi to create a sequence of four-note chords. I established a base note and then added the successive digits of pi to that base note in groups of four, as

[base + 3, base+1, base+4, base+1] = first chord
[base + 1, base+4, base+1, base+5] = second chord

and so on. The individual notes are FM voice synthesis; I modulated the phoneme for each note randomly and played each voice for a randomized length of time. The chords are run through three delays set to different times and a reverb. The piece is coded in ChucK, available at my GitHub here:

github.com/charliekramer/ChucK…uiet0376%20PiPad.ck

was really unhappy with my original upload so i did some editing, sometimes i’m far to eager to upload! Anyway the updated version is up at the same link

https://soundcloud.com/user-507251108/circle-disquiet0376

Hey All, I did my part and ate some of Papa’s Sweet Chocolate Pie. I may have to go snag me another piece.

video version

Peace, Hugh

I wanted to get this done within PI Day (3/14) itself - Thanks for another surprising and mentally bending challenge!

Got the Soma Ether this week so radio is on my mind a lot. Here’s a track interpreting a Number Station doing a reading of PI to the six numbers Marc referenced in the description: 3.14159

Cheers all!

πι ιν θε σκι (disquiet0376)
This week began with an idea for a syncopated rhythm in 3/4 time. Each part was a variation of three beats spread across fifteen sections in Patterning. These were routed to AUM and into two sends, one dry, another through EOS 2. The patterns were originally intended for a more percussive sound, but serendipitously ended up sounding nice on a modified version of the RAV Vast Pan kit, making for an unusually serene mix(for me). Now for the numbers:
In 3.14 tracks there are 3 hits of varying note values on fourteen segments with the initial reverb perimeters in AdVerb2 set at 3.14ms pre-delay, 3.14 seconds in reverb time and 31.4 meters in size. Missed the 3:14 length by a smidge, but apparently my internal timekeeping was a bit off on the live mixing in Patterning. The beginning and ending are are where I used the infinity button on the reverb. So that part correlates with our prompt as well. The title, because its all greek to me…Pi in the Ski. Set in lowercase cause it looks cool and with an “i” in sky cause no “y” in Greek!? The art is…wait for it…a peach pan(drum) pi. =-D
It’s late and I’ll probably regret this in the morning, sorry

Hi Folks,
Wasn’t going to do this week’s challenge, then came across this soundbite of Tom Hiddleston reading out the Pi equation on BBC Radio 1 and thought: “Why not”? Sprinkle some eq and some Optigan loops and it’s done… :slight_smile:

Heya everyone!
First time poster here, even though I’ve been subscribed to the project for a couple of months now.
I recorded my contribution with Cubase Pro 9.5 & a UAD Apollo Twin with the main ingredients being 8 vocal stems from the Acid humble bundle and a Canterbury Suitcase.

Basically, I used Pi in controlling the actual glitch as well as having the first 16 numbers determine the order and settings of things.

Nothing to regret there, that was a very meditative piece. Beautiful work…

For my submission I took the first 12 numbers of pi and used them to create 4 groups of 3 note chords (314, 159, 265, 359). I then used those first 12 numbers to decide on key centres in which to play these 4 groups in…arbitrarily choosing A as 1 gave me C#, A, D, A, E, B, B, F#, E, C#, E, B. So the piece is just me playing guitar going through the four 3 note chord groups in order, through each of those keys in order, and then it ends. Repeating motifs naturally emerge using this method but I used variations in voicings, voice leading, and right hand picking to give it some structure.

I had some slightly grander schemes in mind, but in the end I knew that I would not have any other time before Monday to record anything, so I kept it fairly simple. Too much reverb is used to somewhat disguise the fact that the only guitar that I have to hand today has ancient strings and a few tuning issues!

Made a simple drum loop approx. 3.14 quarter notes long. Added a synth line that I ran through a pitch shifter (50 percent wet) set to +3,14 notes. Added audio from the movie Pi, cut it up and messed a bit with it. Added some additional instruments.

Long story not that impressive result…
I use the first 5 digits in pi - 3,1415
5 numbers. I will use the time signature 5/4.
I will use a pentatonic scale (black keys in this case).
I make it simple. The tones are
(3 - f#), (1 - c#), (4 - g#), (1 - c#), (5 - a#)

First instrument. Number 3 - cello [(3),1415]
3 tones per bar and 5 bars simply playing F#, C#, G#, C#, A# (3,1315) repeat…

Second instrument. Violin 1 [3,(1)415]
1 tone per bar and 1 bar offset compared with the cello part

Third instrument. Violin 2 [3,1(4)15]
4 tones per bar and 4 bar offset compared with the cello part.
Oooops… made a mistake there. Used only 3 bars offset. My intention was 4. :crazy_face:

Fourth instrument. Flute [3,14(1)5]
1 bar offset compared to cello part
Special rule and pattern… “building up” pi (first 5 digits) forward and then backwards.

Fifth instrument. Violin 3 [3,141(5)]
5 tones per bar and 5 bars offset = no offset…

Made in Anvil Studio. The built in midi sounds are - interesting.
I connected my computer to a guitar amp and put it outdoors.
Recorded with Zoom H1. Done. #MeanwhileInSweden

EDIT: Wanted to know how my pi-track could sound… (less original, but…)
Tried the www.midipro.org Maybe not that “pro” but I got sounds.
https://soundcloud.com/sliversounds/irrationalonlinebb190501
Maybe someone can make this sound great? :thinking: Here is the midi-file (5/4, 120bpm).
https://app.box.com/s/8ms6avmxmh8u5oq6zao1mclpudj4426v

This follows a Disquiet Junto challenge to create a piece of music which uses PI (3.1.4159). To that end:

1. there are 3 voices (drone, bass, melody).
  2. the piece is 31 bars long (4/4 time signature).
  3. bass line is made from the steps of the dorian mode in the order 314159, repeated in that order.
  4. the melody uses the the same steps of the dorian mode, 2 octaves higher and played in a random order.

The piece was played using the Strum script (by me @carvingcode)on the monome norns musical computer. The drone is from the String Studio 3 AU by Applied Audio System.

This sounds really delightful, gis