Disquiet Junto Project 0376: Pi Filling

The playlist is now rolling:

Took a few recorded flute tracks from the natural history museum, sped them up and slowed them down by 3.14 and various multiples, plus some echoes for the long tail.

The length is 3.14 divided by 3, to keep it short. :slight_smile: *note: well it WAS… guess the echoes added more length…

love it! reminds me a bit of penguin cafe orchestra :slight_smile:

Sorry Marc, bad title numbering on my part, it was very late! Fixed now I hope :-/

Gotcha. Thanks. It’s in the playlist now.

In ancient times, pi was thought of as 22 divided by 7 (3.142857…). Now, we calculate pi to be 3.141592… I wanted a piece of music that encoded 22 and 7 and 3.141592…, as if the ancient and modern ways of thinking were speaking to each other.

I started by arbitrarily assigned numbers to notes: 1 = C; 2 = D; 3 = D#; 4 = F#; 5 = G; 6 = G#; 7 = A#; 8 = C; 9 = D. A piano in the left channel plays the first 7 values of pi (3.141592) over 7 bars. The piano in the right channel plays the first 22 notes of pi (3.141592653589793238462) over seven bars. (More arbitrary decisions to get the notes to fit). Both channels loop after 7 bars. In the centre of the mix we have bass and cello following the piano in the left channel. All these looping tracks play 3.142857 times = for 22 bars.

Starting at bar 15, a keyboard plays clusters of notes (3 then 1 then 4 then 1 then 5 then 9) run through a random note plugin tied to the above scale.

Quiet drums added for variety. 22 x 7 = 154 bpm.

Have a great weekend!!

Your PI pun in the title is very PI’nful! Nicely done.

My track for Pi Day, simply named “Pi”, is derived from the number Pi in several ways.

The first 109 digits are pulsed by the rhythm instruments (3 pulses for the digit 3, 9 pulses for the digit 9, etc.).

The first 10 digits of Pi are used to determine the pitches of the pulses and chords. The pitch is based on a chromatic scale of 10 semi-tones (0 through 9). The duration of each pitch is also determined by the first 10 digits of Pi. The higher the digit, the higher the pitch and the longer the duration. For example, the digit 9 has the highest pitch and longest duration, which lasts for 9 measures, the digit 3 is six semi-tones lower than 9 and only lasts for 3 measures, etc.

The result is a pleasant ambient track, with a slowly changing “melody” marking the first 10 digits over the full length of the track, created from the faster pulses of the first 109 digits.

The cover art is a photograph I created several years ago. How did they stuff all the digits of Pi into that fortune cookie?

Turning the assignment in early, for once, since I’m going to be away from home for a few days.

I took the first 64 digits of pi to produce the score.
I mapped the digits 1-5 to a Db pentatonic scale. Digits 6-0 were mapped an octave higher. This gave me an 8-bar phrase of 8th notes at a moderate tempo.

I created a second layer, mapping all digits to the same octave this time, and twice as slow. Then a third layer, four times as slow, and an octave lower. The first layer is played 4 times, the second one twice, and the third one only once. I added a three-bar intro playing a Gb, for the “3” before the decimal point, of course.

I selected three patches for Blamsoft’s Expanse synthesizer, EQ’d them to make sure they remained distinct, and assigned them to each layer. There’s a fair amount of reverb to give a sense of space. And that’s it!

For this challenge, §I made up the theme by using the first 30’ish digits of Pi (as many of us did!). They are played by a virtual Buchla at 314bpm.

The theme is doubled through different instances of more orchestral instruments with very different envelopes - and finally, everything is sprinkled with effects and other rhythmic​ elements.

Here’s mine!

Music to celebrate Pi day!

For this week’s Junto I made a track using 3.141592654 in several ways.

The main melody is in C major and literally plays Pi - 3rd note of scale, followed by first, followed by fourth etc. Added some harmonies and a bassline.

The main beat also uses Pi. 3 kicks, one snare, four hats in the first bar, 1 kick, 5 snares, 9 hats in the second. Added a bit of probability based hits for good measure and there you go!

All created on the Synthstrom Deluge.

That’s very pleasing! Good work.

Title: Octopuses on Saturn Singing the Pi Number for disquiet0376.
ID: TEFE-22-disquiet0376-2019-03-16-09-47-01
Author: Miquel Parera
Date: 2019-03-16

Duration: 00:09:00.19

Composition: It’s an improvisation with code (livecoding), using samples recorded during the week. All the algorithmic processes involved in numerical decisions have been replaced by the number pi.

License: CC-BY

More on The Eternal Feedback of Existence:

Bandcamp: https://tefe.bandcamp.com/

You can download the source code, the samples and the images on:
https://archive.org/details/TEFE022disquiet0376Source

tags: electronica,idm,glitch,breakcore,experimental,acousmatic,disquietjunto
#electronica #idm #glitch #breakcore #experimental #acousmatic #disquietjunto

hello all

I very much enjoyed this project
I chose chords based on Pi in the key of CMajor
up to about 30 or so places
so for example 3.14 turns into
chord 3 is Eminor
chord 1 is CMajor
chord 4 is Fmajor
and I played those chords on my newly gifted pedal organ
(featured in Pedal Putty disquiet371)
I then added drums, bass, and a melody on the electricity guitar
(which is a strange guitar like instrument I made last year)
I hope the tune makes you feel like eating pie
hence the title “Pie Time”

sityphoxx

I am not exactly happy how it turned out compositionally but I liked the timbre that I achieved so I decided to share my entry nonetheless.

About the process:
I used Monte Carlo technique to approximate PI. The digits of this approximated value were treated as scale steps. These steps developed the short motif and in the style of Prolation Canon I added two higher melodies with the same notes as the original motif but played two and three times faster. I used TAL U-NO, VintageVerb and Reaktor ensambles (VHS degradation suite and grainstates FX) to transfer these notes into sound.

I love freestyle Latin disco from the 80s. That’s probably not surprising :slight_smile:

The hits that open the song and recur throughout are in Pi formation, i.e., three hits, one hit, four hits, etc.

Thanks for listening :+1:

PI
14 tracks of bowed upright basses (harmonics, effects and multiple layered bass and hi pitched notes)
Some samples (harp, violin)
Sound effects, noises.
Cello.

Composed and performed by DD
Pars, France, Friday 15 and Saturday 16 march 2019

I made this as thick as a pie. And it is round. There are some pi-like ratios in there, but I mostly played around them.

Wow, thats a really nice outcome :smiley:

The Soma Ether looks great too

A small metal ball (Pi!) rotates (circular, ergo Pi) on the inner walls of a gong to which a Korg CM-300 contact microphone is attached. Track one of two delivers this relatively realistically with reverb (lighter tones), a second track (darker tones) alienated by an DIY Clouds (all parameters controlled by an Doepfer Quad-Sinus-LFO, Pi again).

All these circular movements (especially my hand movement of the gong to make the ball circulating) are not perfect … so they are just an very rough Approximation Of Pi.