Disquiet Junto Project 0384: Breath Beat

I’m really fond of how you tied this assignment to an emotional impetus.

2 Likes

Of all our fundamental activities, breathing requires nothing but the heart.

1 Like

I recorded an inhale, an exhale and a whispered “where’s the mic on this thing” with my ipad mic and tweaked that recording with Borderlands Granular. Compression and normalization in Audition.

2 Likes

not the glitchy micro-sample thing i maybe should have done, but the abstract soundscape with a soundbed of cold metalic sounding breaths

2 Likes

A slight twist on the instructions - I didn’t like the sound of my own breathing, so this piece is instead based on the sound of my dog Nira sleeping :slight_smile:

I’ve often wondered what she is dreaming about as she twitches and moves about in her sleep. Perhaps she is still dealing with the massive transitions in her short life - being surrendered with her pups, living in a shelter, then being adopted and moving from a small country down to the Big Smoke.

To make this piece, I layered the original recording with time-stretched and manipulated versions in Ableton 9, then used the Sennheiser Ambeo plug-in to pan the layers across the sound field.

Layer 1: Original [looped]
Layer 2: Original slowed 800%
Layer 3: Original slowed 800% + Moscow Resonator
Layer 4: Original slowed 800% + Ring frequency shifter + Five grain delay + Around The Head pan effect
Layer 5: Sound of one breath slowed 3200% + Brooklyn Resonator + Five grain delay
Layer 6: Sound of one breath slowed 3200% + Rome Resonator + Five grain delay

3 Likes

haunted :slight_smile:
nice work

1 Like

https://soundcloud.com/ethanhein/breath-rhythm-disquiet0384

My plan was to use the amplitude envelope of my breathing to control various synth parameters, directly via vocoder, and indirectly using Max For Live CV to control filters and arpeggiator rates on a couple of Ableton synths. Mainly, I wanted this to be relaxing and not anxiety-producing. You be the judge.

2 Likes

I love the 800% stretching. I have ableton live, but I don’t know if that’s an option. I definitely want to explore this tool.

2 Likes

Weirdo track this week. Recorded myself breathing, then used that (processed) as a background track and to gate the drums. Synths are all sourced from Legowelt sample packs.

3 Likes

iphone recording

3 Likes

:yum: You are not alone. I breath rhythms. Often before I fall asleep. Not popular with my wife… #wearenormal

2 Likes

My interpretation is probably too literal but here goes anyway! I started out using breath through my trumpet to make rhythmic sounds rather than musical notes and I ended up making the whole track - percussion and music - using the trumpet. No other instruments! The breath sounds throughout the track are from pulling the mouthpiece away early before a note is finished and letting the air carry through. I do enjoy the Disquiet Junto project thanks.

5 Likes

I actually participated this week. I don’t usually manage such a thing:

The short version of the process: I recorded my breath (something closer to a breathy vowel), then cut it up into slivers, then enacted some alterations on those individual slivers, then triggered them, then recorded a second variation triggered differently, then combined the two tracks by overlaying them, and then uploaded. When working with the sample-triggering, I set the pace of this to 60bpm, which is sort of my happy pace. I didn’t think of the start of each breath as the pace, but instead various moments within the breath.

I did the whole thing on my iPad: AudioShare -> ReSlice -> AUM -> Autony -> Cubasis 2 -> AudioShare.

More details at the link.

9 Likes

Process:

1. Microphone fed into guitar looper pedal; breathing looped and layered ‘live’ resulting in an increasing layer of breaths…
  2. Take the recording, reverse it and overlay it on the end of the first part;
  3. Add a little Absynth (Native Instruments) to indicate where part 2 starts.
  4. (Oh, and shoved the whole thing through a Cathedral reverb)

I’ve been suffering from a heavy cold/flu these last couple of weeks, so it was all I could do to not cough and splutter through this one!

1 Like

hehe cool, I knew it :wink:

cool sounds
:slight_smile:
dig the iOS system notes, nice work

1 Like

Thanks very much. I put up more details and some screenshots, mostly for my future reference, here:

https://disquiet.com/?p=54431

Disquiet0384
Breathing
• Key: BPM: 126 Time signature: 4/4 DAW: Reaper
• Instruments: Recorded my voice along with some background sounds
• Plug-ins: Waves, Cockos, Izotope
• Recorded several voice samples
• Used FX on some of the samples
• Copy and pasted other voice samples

1 Like

recorded my breathing through a mic connected to lots of guitar fx in podfarm
there was some no-input feedback at the start, used noise reduction on that so it was (in some sense) left with the breath

2 Likes

It’s one of my favorite of his! So, much extra lore with this one.

2 Likes