Disquiet Junto Project 0389: Long Then

I can see opening credits rolling as this plays.

Love the crackling, that sort of texture gives me an idea…

2 Likes

Love that sample so so much

1 Like

Disappear ( slow version ) by Whalt Thisney

5 Likes

What a fun and weird idea! This kind of opens up a big barrel of potential re-uses of previous material. (Thanks as always, Marc - These challenges feel really creatively healthy and enjoyable)

Took this track from a compilation of earlier Electronic Recordings of mine. I think this is from 2008:

Slowed it down to five percent and played with pitch then flipped that opening moment and overdubbed the reverse on top of itself. Kept doing that until it felt like a mood and then added some extra elements:

6 Likes

Man I remember “I Said I Wanna Watch Cartoons” from way back in the day. The local college radio station used to play it a bunch. Vanderbilt’s WRVU was big in turning me on to lots of great stuff in my youth. The biggest turn on for me was The Pixies. That was a life changer for me. Now it is a classical music station what a loss for Nashville. Thanks for the memories Northie!

2 Likes

NON-SUBMISSION Hey All, I took five Junto tracks from this week and arranged in a group of 2 and 3 and crossfaded them. I had to pitch and change tempo of some to fit but mostly as is. Thanks to sevenism, bassling, ryan Scott Mattingly and non-sense medicated decay (great name) for making their tracks available.

Peace, Hugh

3 Likes

Samples from Alessandro Alessandroni, “Flirt no. 2”, and from the movie “Her,” chopped on an MPC Live. Set up and mixed in Ableton Live Lite. Then slowed down in Serato, added some reverb.

Here’s the source: https://soundcloud.com/jeff_stadelman/flirt

3 Likes

that made me recall a mitch hedburg joke, something like: “I used to do drugs. I still do, but I used to, too.”

so be optimistic. “I used to make good music. I still do, but I used to, too”

4 Likes

In 2013 I was in a two-piece prog-metal band called In Orbit. We regularly gigged and then released an EP at the end of 2013 before eventually petering out in 2014 when life got in the way. Still, it was really enjoyable for the both of us and who knew how loud and heavy drum-and-guitar could get? :slight_smile:

For this week’s Disquiet, I found a pre-mastered clip from the last track, ‘Time’. The first layer is the clip slowed 800%, while the other layers were made from slowing the track 200% and reversed. I also added a resonator for added ambiance.

Original track:

4 Likes

This was an old experiment with some minimal house - where I, in response to this weeks Disquiet Junto challenge, took a serious dive in tempo compared to the original, shaved off a lot of stuff and put in a few experimental bleeps. It gave everything a very dubby feeling, I think. The original (called “Old House”), is maybe 10 years old…

Hope you like and find a nice summer spot to enjoy!

5 Likes

7-8 years ago we had a truly atrocious summer and I posted a little doodle on thumb jam inspired by the torrential rain.
(https://soundcloud.com/noimspartacus/shitsummertimeblues)
History seems to be repeating itself this year so I took my old track for the source for this week’s Junto project.
I took four bars from the beginning, middle and end and used Paulstretch on a stretch factor of x8 which turned the sound of rain into a slow static hiss.
The clips were set to loop and I faded them in and out whilst i jamming on a Microfreak.

4 Likes

I didn’t expect that bell to be software. Great atmosphere and vibe.

2 Likes

The playlist is now rolling:

1 Like

About a year ago I did this Waltz at 10 bpm. It seemad a nice idea to slow that down even a little bit further. I added a few things in VCV Rack and here’s the result: https://soundcloud.com/henklasschuit/long-then-disquiet0389

3 Likes

This is a paulstretched excerpt of a saxophone quartet rehearsal about ten years ago. It sounds like a recorder choir now.
Just added a litte bit of paulstretched percussion, sounding like breath. I tried several other things, but everything I did made it worse, so I kept to this very simple processing.

Created with Audacity

4 Likes

Extending time between moments provides opportunities for self-reflection. Anselm Hollo’s wonderful poem, titled Bits of Soft Anxiety, examines the mental space in which long-ago memories calcify into decisions we never intend to make:

dreamt: crossroads
drove straight ahead
arrived then with some confusion beating of wings sound of great engines etc.
in a strange country where things kept falling on him and out of him
they didn’t hurt but caused some anxiety nevertheless
maybe they were just cherry blossoms
maybe it was just his old difficulty of remaining in the upright position of
the higher primates
maybe it was May
as it was in the other place where he spent most of his happy waking time

For this piece, Suss Müsik revised our contribution for Disquiet 0275, which in itself was a revision of Disquiet 0272, a version of which ended up on a Suss Müsik Bandcamp release in a different style. This resulted in a derivative of a revision of a revision, which at one point became a derivative of another revision. Got all that?

The piece from Disquiet 0275 consisted of eight polyrhythmic phrases counting six notes apiece. The pace was slowed down to a third its original tempo, which allowed for greater nuances between instruments. The piano was replaced with a heavily treated Wurlitzer sound; the vibes and strings were set at 1/4 and 1/8 their original meters.

The piece began to sound like something out of a David Lynch movie, so vocals were used to add a spot of color. The piece was recorded live to 8-track; the quality is a bit dodgy.

The work is titled Rosaceae. The vocal is by Roses Sabra and used under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported license (CC BY 3.0) . Full details below.

////////////////////////

This work, “Rosaceae [Disquiet0389]”, is a derivative of “Romantic - night hour >> Saturday.mp3” by Roses1401, used under CC BY 3.0. The original source audio was edited, copied and pasted into 16 parcels controlled by a MIDI pad device. Filters and reverb were applied to the individual samples during recording.

2 Likes

Slowed it down to dubtown

4 Likes

Signed up to the community for this project. Though, I’ve been familiar with the lines community for a while. Mostly due to the Sound + Process podcast that I really enjoyed. I learned of the Disquiet blog a little bit after that and finally decided to get involved and give it a try. Anyway…

I chose the climax from a song on my first album because I sometimes still hear it played in clubs and at goth nights and whatnot. Also, I commonly have a small insecurity freakout where I think about that when I was with a label people only listened to my music because of the hype that the label/sound was generating at the time and I got swept up in it and now that it’s passed I’m entirely unsaveable as an artist. Deep breath.

I slowed it by a factor of 5 (IIRC), and filtered it a bit to make some space to add something in. To add something I was originally going to play a cello part to go along with it, and after a little while it was upsetting me that I couldn’t get it to come out right. So, I scrapped that and wanted to do something simple/low-stress so I came up with a small melody on my d-piano to go with it and then improvised with the idea of that using the Spitfire Labs Soft Piano through Native Instruments Replika XT and Valhalla Shimmer.

6 Likes

Welcome to the Junto

1 Like

I took a ukulele drone that I recorded last summer and slowed it down by 1/3. I added some other elements using only a Yamaha PSS-460 and slowed all of that down by 1/3 as well.

7 Likes