Disquiet Junto Project 0393: Mix Master

Disquiet Junto Project 0393: Mix Master
The Assignment: Make a new composition from your favorite parts of three of your previous recordings.

Step 1: Choose three pieces of music you recorded previously.

Step 2: From each of those three pieces, choose one element you particularly like.

Step 3: Create a new piece of music combining the three elements whose selection resulted from Step 2. (Additional elements may be added, certainly.)

Seven More Important Steps When Your Track Is Done:

Step 1: Include “disquiet0393” (no spaces or quotation marks) in the name of your track.

Step 2: If your audio-hosting platform allows for tags, be sure to also include the project tag “disquiet0393” (no spaces or quotation marks). If you’re posting on SoundCloud in particular, this is essential to subsequent location of tracks for the creation a project playlist.

Step 3: Upload your track. It is helpful but not essential that you use SoundCloud to host your track.

Step 4: Post your track in the following discussion thread at llllllll.co:

https://llllllll.co/t/disquiet-junto-project-0393-mix-master/

Step 5: Annotate your track with a brief explanation of your approach and process.

Step 6: If posting on social media, please consider using the hashtag #disquietjunto so fellow participants are more likely to locate your communication.

Step 7: Then listen to and comment on tracks uploaded by your fellow Disquiet Junto participants.

Additional Details:

Deadline: This project’s deadline is Monday, July 15, 2019, at 11:59pm (that is, just before midnight) wherever you are. It was posted in the evening, California time, on Thursday, July 11, 2019.

Length: The length is up to you. Shorter is often better.

Title/Tag: When posting your track, please include “disquiet0393” in the title of the track, and where applicable (on SoundCloud, for example) as a tag.

Upload: When participating in this project, post one finished track with the project tag, and be sure to include a description of your process in planning, composing, and recording it. This description is an essential element of the communicative process inherent in the Disquiet Junto. Photos, video, and lists of equipment are always appreciated.

Download: Consider setting your track as downloadable and allowing for attributed remixing (i.e., a Creative Commons license permitting non-commercial sharing with attribution, allowing for derivatives).

For context, when posting the track online, please be sure to include this following information:

More on this 393rd weekly Disquiet Junto project — Mix Master / The Assignment: Make a new composition from your favorite parts of three of your previous recordings — at:

https://disquiet.com/0393/

More on the Disquiet Junto at:

https://disquiet.com/junto/

Subscribe to project announcements here:

http://tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto/

Project discussion takes place on llllllll.co:

https://llllllll.co/t/disquiet-junto-project-0393-mix-master/

There’s also on a Junto Slack. Send your email address to twitter.com/disquiet for Slack inclusion.

Image associated with this project adapted (cropped, colors changed, text added, cut’n’paste) thanks to a Creative Commons license from a photo credited to splityarn:

https://flic.kr/p/4oYuCN

https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/2.0/

3 Likes

Fridays are like Christmas for me. I wake up and look for these placeholders and imagine what they might be when the wrapping comes off.

7 Likes

same, except that it’s thursday afternoon and beer drinking has commenced :smile:

6 Likes

Nice. Sometimes that’s part of my process too.

Other times, as an Antipodean, it already feels like I’ve lost a day.

2 Likes

That’s a great song idea.

2 Likes

It’s alright, you get it back on Monday.

3 Likes

Can I make music from these three vegan sausages?

2 Likes

Only if it’s a banger!

7 Likes

‘Fridays are like Christmas for me’ will be my ode to the Junto :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Is it theoretically possible to have bangers without mash?

1 Like

Hmm. I’d file that under “experimental” :smiley:

2 Likes

You could put the bangers in a mash up mix

4 Likes

Add some broth, a potato… baby, you got a stew going!

2 Likes

The project is now live.

1 Like

Hey All, Not much to say other than I used 3 tracks and made a remix using a crossfader and some fx. I always look forward to the Junto assignments-big ups Marc.

Peace, Hugh

5 Likes

This thread was going places, Christmas, beer, song titles, vegan sausages, stews, time zones and bangers were discussed, still no music. :wink:
Thanks Hugh for bringing it back to track.
But still, loved the experience, every junto placeholder should start with at least 20 posts of gregarious philosophical chitchat like this.

6 Likes

Merry Christmas everyone.

For this project, I decided to remix three demos that I have not used before. I chose three of my favourite styles - ambient, noisy rock, solo guitar. I loaded the three .wav files into Ableton, and simply faded them in and out, one after the other. (I have no idea how to do a genuine remix).

Section #1: “(2019.05.14) LIMBO” - a demo for Dante’s Inferno - self-oscillating guitar pedals

Section #2: “(2018.12.20) BLACK SLUDGE (melvins demo)” - Joe Preston era Melvins - midi bass and drums, live electric guitar noise

Section #3: “(2018.04.07) WESTERN NOISE DEMO (em cm am)” - lo-fi crackly solo guitar demo, recorded while thinking about western movies and Cormac McCarthy’s Blood Meridian

Had a lot of fun doing this one. Thanks Marc!!

8 Likes

Good idea!
I often do this, taking some used and unused takes and blend them together, as I accumulate idle recorded ideas and unfinished demos I do that recycling sometimes.

For this one I used a previously recorded but unused Indian Harmonium improvisation in Ebm using one of the harmonium’s drones (a Eb note) and the “Low” stops.

The I took an electric piano and synth pad tracks that was at a different tempo and key but as it was midi I could easily make it match the harmoniums tempo and key.

Third I took a couple of bowed upright basses playing a free-tempo drone, just bowing on the open E note. Pitch shifted that stereo track down to Eb and blended all together.

Then I added today a second stereo harmonium recording playing a melody using the “High” stops. Last, I played some high pitch Ebm notes on my chromatic harmonica.

11 Likes

Great prompt Marc! I’m making a bunch of sketches as I prep for a show in a few weeks so this gives me the opportunity to think about what I’m trying to do for that show. (Which can change between now and the show, or during the show.)

All this stuff is coded in ChucK. One thing I like about ChucK is that if I’m running a piece of code and I think (say) “hey I wonder what that would sound like if I pitched in up a major third and sped it up 2x” I can modify it and launch that as a new instance, so that they play together. I do that in some of the constituent pieces.

The first sketch (Trust)runs a flute model through an envelope, echo, and reverb (echo is panned to one side). The first harmony (at about :10 ) is me introducing a second copy of the code pitched up by a fifth. Then I just start layering copies of the audio recording as it fades.

The second sketch (Chamber) has a saxophone and clarinet model in a duet. The sax is given a starting note, then picks a note displaced by random number of fifths (up or down) for the next note. The clarinet then picks a note displaced by a random number of fifths off that note. (It can be zero fifths). At some point I launched new copies of the program where I increased the starting note by a fifth and (if memory serves) a fourth. (I really like fifths! lol)

The last piece (Points/layer) is my attempt at a cheapo arpeggiator. (another reason I like ChucK–it’s free!) I set up ChucK with 8 repeating notes, each with echo and filter, and mapped the filter cutoffs to the 8 knobs on my Akai LPD8 (I love that box!) I then mapped 4 of the buttons to delay times and 4 to beat lengths. I then just fired it up and tweaked.

It was fun this week to see how they fit together! There is a natural coherence because when I gear up for a show I generally work up pieces that have similar tempos and keys.

I might use all of these in my live show, or none of them–I don’t really know. But I like the process of sketching things out just to explore without too much commitment. (Narrator: he will probably use a lot of fifths)

8 Likes

Pretty simple. It’s just a blend of a lot of ideas I had for an unfinished song. I don’t recall ever mining the tracks for anything prior. I like this grimy, sad feeling that lined up with that emotion of having unfinished things hanging over your head. I wish I could tell you something technical about what I used, but I don’t see any notes. I tend to keep everything I improvise when I’m writing and I work really quick initially to get the ideas down. Life is hectic here, so I’m often working in 15 minute increments then later taking an extended time figuring out what’s pyrite and what’s shit. I mixed in Logic, but I don’t think that’s significant. You could’ve mixed this on a Gateway desktop with Windows 95 and pulled it off. I tried to select tracks that gelled in such a way as to not need to be brought in and out, but that could blend naturally in a mix.

7 Likes