Disquiet Junto Project 0394: You & Me

Disquiet Junto Project 0394: You & Me
The Assignment: Accompany the music made by a species other than your own.

This is a project for World Listening Day.

Step 1: Think of an animal you would like to accompany. It may be one in your possession, like a household cat, dog, or bird, or perhaps it might be one for which you’ll need to locate a recorded example.

Step 2: Acquire audio of the animal you selected in Step 1, either by making a recording or locating one.

Step 3: Create a new piece of music by playing along with the audio acquired in Step 2. In the final mix, you and the animal you accompany should be heard at equal levels of prominence (of course, you may also trade off).

Seven More Important Steps When Your Track Is Done:

Step 1: Include “disquiet0394” (no spaces or quotation marks) in the name of your track.

Step 2: If your audio-hosting platform allows for tags, be sure to also include the project tag “disquiet0394” (no spaces or quotation marks). If you’re posting on SoundCloud in particular, this is essential to subsequent location of tracks for the creation a project playlist.

Step 3: Upload your track. It is helpful but not essential that you use SoundCloud to host your track.

Step 4: Post your track in the following discussion thread at llllllll.co:

https://llllllll.co/t/disquiet-junto-project-0394-you-me//

Step 5: Annotate your track with a brief explanation of your approach and process.

Step 6: If posting on social media, please consider using the hashtag #disquietjunto so fellow participants are more likely to locate your communication.

Step 7: Then listen to and comment on tracks uploaded by your fellow Disquiet Junto participants.

Additional Details:

Deadline: This project’s deadline is Monday, July 22, 2019, at 11:59pm (that is, just before midnight) wherever you are. It was posted in the evening, California time, on Thursday, July 18, 2019.

Length: The length is up to you. Shorter is often better.

Title/Tag: When posting your track, please include “disquiet0394” in the title of the track, and where applicable (on SoundCloud, for example) as a tag.

Upload: When participating in this project, post one finished track with the project tag, and be sure to include a description of your process in planning, composing, and recording it. This description is an essential element of the communicative process inherent in the Disquiet Junto. Photos, video, and lists of equipment are always appreciated.

Download: Consider setting your track as downloadable and allowing for attributed remixing (i.e., a Creative Commons license permitting non-commercial sharing with attribution, allowing for derivatives).

For context, when posting the track online, please be sure to include this following information:

More on this 394th weekly Disquiet Junto project — You & Me / The Assignment: Accompany the music made by a species other than your own — at:

https://disquiet.com/0394/

More on the Disquiet Junto at:

https://disquiet.com/junto/

Subscribe to project announcements here:

http://tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto/

Project discussion takes place on llllllll.co:

https://llllllll.co/t/disquiet-junto-project-0394-you-me//

There’s also on a Junto Slack. Send your email address to twitter.com/disquiet for Slack inclusion.

Image associated with this project adapted (cropped, colors changed, text added, cut’n’paste) thanks to a Creative Commons license from a photo credited to Nehama Verter:

https://flic.kr/p/dDGnbv

https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/2.0/

2 Likes

The project is now live.

googling what kind of compressor to use on a Chihuahua vs an elderly pit/lab mix

11 Likes

Sled dogs mixed with a guitar with a warped neck that won’t intonate to play well with anything else. I messed around with the pitches here and there so that we weren’t all at the same frequency all the time. My kiddo is laughing while playing with one of the dogs at some point. I compressed it by improperly using a Studer UAD plugin. I’m looking forward to hearing what everyone else does.

5 Likes

Hey All, If I had to pick a spirit animal it would be be Bear, I am curious what people think the bear is in this poem. (poem in sc description)

Peace, Hugh

6 Likes

Very quick (75min) concoction. Downloaded a nice robin song from the interwebz. Loaded into Digitakt, 7 tracks of robin, 1 of bass drum. Composed an ambient beat. Recorded and dumped into daw, added drums and bass and ambience.

4 Likes

Hello everyone, I’m taking a word and being very literal with it here. In Canto 5 of Dante’s Inferno, the lustful Francesca is summoned from a vortex of souls who are swirling like starlings in the winter wind. Dante, still naive at this point in his journey, is overcome with emotion upon hearing Francesca’s story - which itself is a web of half-truths, silences, and bad faith concerning her lover Paulo - and faints. Unseen by Dante, Francesca’s soul returns to the vortex.

This track has four levels:

(i) creative commons sample of starlings = the constant background whirlwind

(ii) self-oscillating pedals = Dante’s trepidation, confusion

(iii) nylon string Yamaha guitalele = Francesca’s seductive but heart-breaking story, its omissions (silence in the solo) and references to / quotes from other cultural figures (echoes emerging in the lead guitalele near the end)

(iv) second swelling layer of starlings = Francesca’s return to the storm

Have a great weekend!!

7 Likes

And the playlist is rolling:

3 Likes

Seven tracks of different whales chanting, singing and making their noises.
3 synthesizer tracks performed by DD, Paris, Friday July 19th 2019, in the morning.

5 Likes

Cicadas, frogs and birds recorded in various places. They are collaged together with some electronic tracks I played to accompany them.

5 Likes

Soft knee usually works best…:laughing:

3 Likes

Greetings! This track was created with audio extracted from a video my partner had made of our cat, Neko snoozing in the afternoon. Her snore is supringly musical. I looped the recording in Max with a fzero~ object employed to detect the fundamental frequency of Neko’s snore. The fzero~ is then delayed and used to provide the frequency for a triangle wave; in effect, creating a call and response to Neko’s snore. In addition to this, each time a fundamental frequency is detected by fzero~, this triggers a snapshot~ with the output controlling the waveband of a noise filter. A couple of signal buses are also set up with tapout~ feedback set to near-infinity, creating a consistent sonic texture. Panning of the channels is controlled with cycle~ objects, whose respective phases are constantly shifting.

The title of this track is taken from a quote I came across recently by Japanese sound artist, Toshiya Tsunoda: “If you think about it carefully, the activity of an actual space always moves. […] Place is always moving, like a sleeping cat.” [1]

[1] www.thewire.co.uk/in-writing/essay…_toshiya-tsunoda

5 Likes

AKA piggy theme tune
AKA jeez they didnt use to be so demanding

when our guinea pigs, fudge and treacle, sense that breakfast is coming they squeak really loudly. they knew something was different when they were being recorded this morning so were a lot more quiet and wary. still, i managed to get some squeaks and a grumble.

i played along in zebra cm and had the midi running through protoplasm with some random variation, repeated with a bit more fx

3 Likes

My daughter sent me a video of our smallest, fiercest dog, our 15-pound Chihuahua named Denver. Denver will bark at anything and everything, terrorizes visitors, steals food and toys from the other dogs–like a diminutive, really adorable Hell’s Angel.

On the original audio Denver is making a variety of barking, growling and snuffling sounds, vaguely reminiscent of a young Robert Plant. I cut them up into separate samples, then formed a major chord from them (the 3rd and 5th drop in and out), and ran it through a soft knee compressor (thanks for the tip @pineyb!), stereo delay, glitch processor, limiter (he gets loud), glued in a bunch of loops and samples and voila! It gets unreasonably loud and out of control at points, just like the vocalist.

6 Likes

the sound of gulls and crows from my bedroom window

I recorded and deleted numerous attempts for this - non seemed quite ‘alien’ enough or to be truly playing with the birds as opposed to just imposing my nonsense upon them. I’ve no idea if I’ve achieved it with this but at least it seems in roughly the right direction.

5 Likes

Ducks!

5 Likes

My cats are always hungry. Just stay with me, It doesn’t stop.

2 Likes

I recorded some cicadas out North Zulch, TX, last evening. I knew the rhythm wold be a bear, but I think I got everything tucked in pretty well. I also included a weird voicemail I got, and when I dropped it into Ableton it went nuts and really made the track.

4 Likes

The Tsunoda cat quote made me recall some lines of T. S. Eliot, which also seemed to be perfectly expressed by your composition:

The yellow fog that rubs its back upon the window-panes,
The yellow smoke that rubs its muzzle on the window-panes,
Licked its tongue into the corners of the evening,
Lingered upon the pools that stand in drains,
Let fall upon its back the soot that falls from chimneys,
Slipped by the terrace, made a sudden leap,
And seeing that it was a soft October night,
Curled once about the house, and fell asleep.

3 Likes

I’ve used a recording of a frog that was outside my house earlier this year.

5 Likes