Disquiet Junto Project 0397: Numbers Racket

Disquiet Junto Project 0397: Numbers Racket
The Assignment: It’s 808 Day. Do it up.

Step 1: It’s 808 Day today, August 8, the start of the latest Junto project. Let’s make it last through Monday.

Step 2: Make music with or about or somehow in the spirit of the Roland TR-808.

Seven More Important Steps When Your Track Is Done:

Step 1: Include “disquiet0397” (no spaces or quotation marks) in the name of your track.

Step 2: If your audio-hosting platform allows for tags, be sure to also include the project tag “disquiet0397” (no spaces or quotation marks). If you’re posting on SoundCloud in particular, this is essential to subsequent location of tracks for the creation a project playlist.

Step 3: Upload your track. It is helpful but not essential that you use SoundCloud to host your track.

Step 4: Post your track in the following discussion thread at llllllll.co:

https://llllllll.co/t/disquiet-junto-project-0397-numbers-racket/

Step 5: Annotate your track with a brief explanation of your approach and process.

Step 6: If posting on social media, please consider using the hashtag #disquietjunto so fellow participants are more likely to locate your communication.

Step 7: Then listen to and comment on tracks uploaded by your fellow Disquiet Junto participants.

Additional Details:

Deadline: This project’s deadline is Monday, August 12, 2019, at 11:59pm (that is, just before midnight) wherever you are. It was posted shortly in the early afternoon, California time, on Thursday, August 8, 2019.

Length: The length is up to you. Shorter is often better.

Title/Tag: When posting your track, please include “disquiet0397” in the title of the track, and where applicable (on SoundCloud, for example) as a tag.

Upload: When participating in this project, post one finished track with the project tag, and be sure to include a description of your process in planning, composing, and recording it. This description is an essential element of the communicative process inherent in the Disquiet Junto. Photos, video, and lists of equipment are always appreciated.

Download: Consider setting your track as downloadable and allowing for attributed remixing (i.e., a Creative Commons license permitting non-commercial sharing with attribution, allowing for derivatives).

For context, when posting the track online, please be sure to include this following information:

More on this 397th weekly Disquiet Junto project — The Assignment: It’s 808 Day. Do it up — at:

https://disquiet.com/0397/

More on the Disquiet Junto at:

https://disquiet.com/junto/

Subscribe to project announcements here:

http://tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto/

Project discussion takes place on llllllll.co:

https://llllllll.co/t/disquiet-junto-project-0397-numbers-racket/

There’s also on a Junto Slack. Send your email address to twitter.com/disquiet for Slack inclusion.

Image associated with this project adapted (cropped, colors changed, text added, cut’n’paste) thanks to a Creative Commons license from a photo credited to Brandon Daniel via Wikipedia:

https://wikipedia.org/

https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0/

The project is now live.

1 Like

In case I don’t get time over the next few days (likely) - I did this a while back for the Electronic Music Philosophy group challenge that involved making music using the 808 Cowbell sample. This was my track - unusually for me no modular used. It was all done using Reaper, to manipulate the sample and also send midi to control my other synths / record the audio back in. The 808 sample is used for the pad sounds that you hear at the beginning and also in the panning rhythmic element. My synthpop roots are showing - I feel this could benefit from a vocal and a bit more tweaking to add a contrasting chorus section maybe? (If anyone wants to do that - feel free!)
https://electronicmusicphilosophy.bandcamp.com/track/rain-soaked-hangover

5 Likes

I’ve got what was a $7K (plus option$) Roland V-Drums kit, first generation, with an inch of dust on it. It has an 808 preset with all of the sounds. This sounds fun thank you.

2 Likes

Happy 808 day! I used the 808 sounds on the DM1 app on iPad and then mixed in Logic with no post-processing or plug-ins. Any weirdness and glitching was done in the DM-1, playing the drum machine and app fx.

7 Likes

Hello! Lately I have been exploring Lindenmeyer Systems in my work. I have been focusing primarily on finding ways of using L-Systems to generate organic harmonic structures, but today (in honor of 808 day), I decided to try out some rhythms generated with L Systems. This has been a very satisfying workflow – the beats have motivic coherence but still feel organic and unpredictable. All of the coding was done in Supercollider. Additional processing in Logic with Soundtoys and Slate plugins. Samples from Mars 808. Here is beat #8 (naturally):

And here is a playlist of all eight beats. Each beat uses different rules in the generation of L-Systems.

12 Likes

Hey All, All hail the 808. I remember first seeing drum machines at the corner music store in the early 80’s and really liking them but I had no idea of what was in the pipeline for those little babies. Music technology has exploded what is possible but I have a feeling an 808 kick will always be around. I used only sounds from an 808 sample kit. I added a delay on the snare to kind of get a dubby/stick roll thing going. The rest is all crossfader. The crossfader has been around a while but it is one of my favorite pieces of technology. Simple and effective. That’s a 2 year old Buddy Rich on drums in the picture. I guess I was thinking this is what a solo would sound like on an 808.

Peace, Hugh

9 Likes

A while back I made a stab at coding a drum machine in ChucK using a technique that I guess is similar to the 808, that is, oscillator, envelope, filter, plus I threw in some delay. The tones aren’t too far off and I can get the booming bass by cranking the Q on the kick-drum filter.

I thought it would be fun to throw in some other audio, so I clipped “eight” and “zero” from two recordings of numbers stations (Lincolnshire Poacher and Tyrolean–the latter is in German), made “eight zero eight” phrases and looped them.

Kick it!

11 Likes

NON_SUBMISSION Hey again, I did something with _greathorned’s track. I wanted to make the kick more prominent -samples only his track.

Peace, Hugh

2 Likes

I wanted to play with something old school feeling. Using the Roland DJ 808 and Abelton Live, I took a ride down memory lane, to a video game that none existed. I programed in some drum patterns into the 808. Then I used a sequencer in Abelton live with flux, extra Boom and compression. Happy DAy!

9 Likes

A quick and dirty one this week. I used an iOS 808 emulator, sent it through a stereo amp driving a couple of my corked speakers, using the vibrations to move and rattle objects. I stuck some old guitar strings in the cork of the left speaker to wobble about and strike a tambourine; on the other speaker I layered a tin foil bowl to rattle about. Then I move the objects around and incorporate a bit of tinfoil. I’m quite fond of the outcome; my partner, not so much.

10 Likes

wanted to do something ambient just with 808 samples
made it easier by using some tonal ones: cowbell, hi conga, lo conga, reverse cymbal (i didnt realize i had hundreds of 808 samples, these were in a ‘lo fi set’ subfolder)
plugged them into iris 2 and played something to fit
had vinyl and ambient reverb in the chain too
a bit of processing in audacity

9 Likes

I always wanted to find a place to incorporate a numbers station (or UVB-76, Russian Woodpecker, etc.) but never did. If ever there was a place for a numbers station recording, this is it.

3 Likes

Getting value from my Roland cloud subscription :slight_smile:

I’m not a nostalgic person but wanted to get something of that thrill of first hearing drum machines. Went with as un-ironic (as I could manage) “I’ve just got a drum machine and a sampler and I’ve not heard much like it” kind of approach :slight_smile:

Basically making patterns and then sampling and mucking about with the samples. Couldn’t help the choir sample - it seemed appropriate (if naff :slight_smile: )

(also this is one times with the most tracks I’ve ever used in a piece - 12 or something. How do people not get bored mixing massive recordings! 12 was bad enough (I normally use a DAW as a 4 track tape kind of thing & I’m not in the least bit detail oriented or obsessive about mixing - which I’m sure shows but never mind))

6 Likes

@junklight Cool! I kept wanting the bassline to transform into the bass part from Ghetto Defendant by the Clash

2 Likes

The playlist is rolling:

1 Like

Norns + Shallow Water + Norns + op1 =

it’s quite a bit wonky, but was done in one quick take… so, i am more or less happy with it. :sweat_smile:

8 Likes

Well, I sure do :heart: this challenge!

4 Likes

I took a line from “Old Town Road” and deconstructed it in the spirit of Prefuse 73. I sliced it to MIDI and fingerdrummed around with it, then quantized my improvisation, found the best parts, looped them, and added Beat Repeat and delay. I put a simple 808 beat underneath it for rhythmic anchoring.

8 Likes

NON_SUBMISSION Hey All, I did another one. The 808 sounds were making me nostalgic. In my boombox days I was probably pumping out not very hip music such as Phil Collins “No Jacket Required” as you may be able tell. Samples sevenism’s great track.

Peace, Hugh

2 Likes