Disquiet Junto Project 0403: Filter Box

Disquiet Junto Project 0403: Filter Box
The Assignment: Record music a piece of music in which a sequence of sounds is treated by the same filter or process.

Step 1: Come up with a filter or process that might be applied to a wide variety of sounds. It could be a preset in a piece of equipment, or a matter of recording something through a closed door. It’s up to you and your ears and your imagination.

Step 2: Select a sequence of sounds that are unrelated. The number is up to you, but between a half dozen and a dozen is recommended.

Step 3: Create a recording that consists of the sounds from Step 2 being played in sequence, with little to no overlap, with each sound being treated by the filter or process from Step 1.

Seven More Important Steps When Your Track Is Done:

Step 1: Include “disquiet0403” (no spaces or quotation marks) in the name of your track.

Step 2: If your audio-hosting platform allows for tags, be sure to also include the project tag “disquiet0403” (no spaces or quotation marks). If you’re posting on SoundCloud in particular, this is essential to subsequent location of tracks for the creation of a project playlist.

Step 3: Upload your track. It is helpful but not essential that you use SoundCloud to host your track.

Step 4: Post your track in the following discussion thread at llllllll.co:

https://llllllll.co/t/disquiet-junto-project-0403-filter-box/

Step 5: Annotate your track with a brief explanation of your approach and process.

Step 6: If posting on social media, please consider using the hashtag #disquietjunto so fellow participants are more likely to locate your communication.

Step 7: Then listen to and comment on tracks uploaded by your fellow Disquiet Junto participants.

Additional Details:

Deadline: This project’s deadline is Monday, September 23, 2019, at 11:59pm (that is, just before midnight) wherever you are. It was posted on Thursday, September 19, 2019.

Length: The length is up to you.

Title/Tag: When posting your track, please include “disquiet0403” in the title of the track, and where applicable (on SoundCloud, for example) as a tag.

Upload: When participating in this project, post one finished track with the project tag, and be sure to include a description of your process in planning, composing, and recording it. This description is an essential element of the communicative process inherent in the Disquiet Junto. Photos, video, and lists of equipment are always appreciated.

Download: Consider setting your track as downloadable and allowing for attributed remixing (i.e., a Creative Commons license permitting non-commercial sharing with attribution, allowing for derivatives).

For context, when posting the track online, please be sure to include this following information:

More on this 403rd weekly Disquiet Junto project — Filter Box / The Assignment: Record music a piece of music in which a sequence of sounds is treated by the same filter or process — at:

https://disquiet.com/0403/

More on the Disquiet Junto at:

https://disquiet.com/junto/

Subscribe to project announcements here:

http://tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto/

Project discussion takes place on llllllll.co:

https://llllllll.co/t/disquiet-junto-project-0403-filter-box/

There’s also on a Junto Slack. Send your email address to twitter.com/disquiet for Slack inclusion.

Photo used (cropped, text added) thanks to a Creative Commons license. Photo by Thorsten Sideb0ard:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/sideb0ard/7360670580/

https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/2.0/

The project is now live.

1 Like

I did this in Ableton Live.

I used the following sounds from Freesound:

1. metro.m4a
  2. Piccadilly_Circus_Ambience.WAV
  3. Ambulance_Traffic_Mic inside of car.WAV
  4. London Underground, Arriving, A.wav
  5. SUBWAY_01.WAV
  6. Dog Bark.wav

I put each of those songs through a Beat Repeat effect called Brain Dance.

Finally I added me reading Maya Angelou’s poem, “Awaking in New York”.

8 Likes

I used the vocoder on SM7B the Roland DJ 808 I processed thru some vocals,plastic icicles, paper shreds in plastic bags, a maraca with a drum sequence programmed in. I then took the clips from the filled bags and using follow action in Abelton Live moved thru the clip to create 4 new clips. I then took these clips and added to the other clips. I then reran the follow action with a 1 1 1 setting to get the final layered tones. This one was fun to make, I enjoy bringing the ASMR sounds of the paper and the plastics into my creations.

6 Likes

hello everyone,

i used excerpts from six of my own recordings:

1. thunder storm in england
  2. canto xxvii from my recent album inferno
  3. recording outside a temple, around 6.45 a.m., from my daily 12km walk
  4. semis (cicadas) from sakura park opposite my house
  5. the classic MSX konami game “penguin adventure” played at 1% speed (many thanks to my brother for the great sessions setting up a retro gaming system on a raspberry pi)
  6. a baby crying in amsterdam airport

i sequenced the samples then played them twice: once panned left at an octave down, and once panned right at regular tuning. for a “filter” i simply applied a volume cut every bar on the right in channel. i was horrified at the way the baby sample came out, right near the end, all zombie-like…

(track subtitle is a reference to that great song from the cure’s album “the head on the door”)

other than hearing the scary baby from amsterdam, have a great weekend!!

3 Likes

I thought it would be interesting to see what it sounds like to use samples to process other samples. So Ioaded up six samples, some of which I’ve used for other Junto stuff:

1 piano notes
2 lawnmower
3 a fountain at the Watergate hotel
4 sounds made by the planet Saturn
5 random voice mail left by some telemarketer
6 a crosswalk light saying “wait”

then I put the samples in a list (1 to 6) and ran through each one, doing two things:

1. adding or subtracting a function of the sample just before it in the list
  2. skipping a number of milliseconds (basically downsampling) with the skip size dependent on the value of the other sample

when I fiddled with the parameters of these two functions, some really interesting tones emerged. I also got a ton of high-frequency noise, so I applied an actual low-pass filter that I swept using two LFOs. I put some reverb on there to smooth it a little.

the whole thing is coded in ChucK, i’ll stick it up on my Github.

6 Likes

Hey All, My filter was actually taking the sample and spreading it over 6 tracks with various fx of all sorts, pitching up octaves and down octaves. I used a lot of guitar rig and ableton fx. The filter works better on some sounds than others. I really like what it did to the fox bark, the bongos and the mouse click. I start with the clean sample then the filter and back to the clean sample to give you an idea of what the filter is doing. It changes according to pitch and attack and decay so gives a good variety. Cool assignment Marc.

Peace, Hugh

2 Likes

Righto, I stuffed up my initial submission since I didn’t read the brief properly. I’m blaming this on the fact I’ve just started some long service leave and my soul is buzzing a bit at present. Notes for this new submission (adhering to brief this time) below:

I used the following sounds from my personal collection:

• tape hiss emulation
  • radio static with a high frequency tone
  • microwave oven operating
  • the resonance of a tank/cannon shaft
  • walking through the city
  • Climate Strike protest
  • Blue Faced Honeyeater (from a 1950s EP of Australian Birdsongs)
  • Runout groove of the above EP.

I sequenced these tracks in Ableton and applied a 3 band Filter Delay. A bandpass for low, mid and high frequency bands.

4 Likes

@tristan_louth_robins I love how you twist something musical - really musical - out of what I’d consider to be non-musical sources. You’re making me think that I need to change how I listen to the world…

3 Likes

The playlist is now rolling:

Hello everyone!

I used 7 sounds

• boiling water
  • analogic telephone
  • wood door
  • a key falling to the floor
  • My own voice
  • voices of a crowd
  • One VST

I used the same effect filter in all sounds: beat mosaic from Ableton Live, but I changed some parameters.
In my voice I used also a delay and I repeated the phrase: You can talk in Portuguese.

2 Likes

@disquiet, can you please omit 0403a and include my resubmission (0403b - below) instead? The first one didn’t really follow the assignment brief properly. Thanks!

1 Like

Sure thing. Just made the switch.

1 Like

I feel like I kind of screwed up this task because it mentioned there should be a variety of successive, unrelated sounds that don’t overlap, and I didn’t have much time. However, I really wanted to do this one anyway, because I really liked the idea of building a filter in weird ways.

I recorded about 6 different sounds on my phone (though only playing the cello and guitar made it through clearly, and I only used one other, a tambourine) then I took a speaker to a nearby riverbank with an abandoned building across the way and pointed the speaker at it with a microphone set back to record the reflections. Despite feeling like I messed up the task, I had fun and I like the character of the sound that resulted from it. So, I can’t really feel that bad about it.

2 Likes

@disquiet, thank you for that!

1 Like

2 Likes

@howthenightcame: thank you! Yes, particularly enjoy seeking out musicality from sounds - especially resonances and complex frequencies. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I grabbed six samples from Japan, Luxembourg, Copenhagen and New York and recorded them to tape and added to a Eurorack Hacked Tape-machine by Xavier Gazon - voltage controlled and put through filters and delays - and re-recorded back into Ableton live for some minor EQ’ing and Eventide reveeeeeerrrrrrbbbbb.

I limited the original 6 samples to 7 seconds (Bells in Luxembourg, Restaurant in Tokyo, Shinkansen in Kyoto, Airport sounds, Ice packing in the Northsea, Sounds from Chinatown in New York).

Check out the Tape Player from Xavier here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1ebCvCmNUo

Thank you for a fun assignment - that for me, pushed me to go more on the experimental side than usual…

1 Like

I made a layered patch using 3 synths, which can be heard towards the end of the piece. Then I passed each separate voice through a notch filter using filterstation2 on the ipad, and finally passed the layered patch through the filter as well:

I also used this patch on 2 other pieces, This path I’m on, and Sisyphus, although the latter also includes some additional retro patches.

I am having some uploading issues, sorry for the deletions and repostings. I hope you enjoy.

1 Like

Hi All,

A bit of a recursive process on modular - using a randomly switched CV to control various parameters …

Have a great week!

h u :slight_smile:

2 Likes