Disquiet Junto Project 0405: Trustable (C. Remix)

I did this project in Ableton Live. First, I imported all the stems. I let Ableton warp the stems without any intervention on my part. I then created four tracks, drums, bass, piano, and lead. These would more accurately be called rhythm, bass, harmony, and melody. I put each stem in whichever track I thought best described it. Some stems were rhythmic, and others melodic, but it was hard to categorize others. So some of my classifications were somewhat arbitrary. Also, I made sure each track had roughly the same number of measures by moving some clips from one track to another. This moving about of clips added a bit more arbitrariness to the categorization.

I converted each clip into a loop of length 2^n where n was the largest number so that 2^n was less than or equal to the number of measures Live had warped the clip to.

I then used follow actions to trigger the progression of clips downward through each track. With a probability of 1/3, each clip would repeat, and with a probability of 2/3 would go down to the next clip. Then I started the first row of clips and let them go.

In the final mix, I let the last loop in each track continue to its end, rather than ending abruptly in the middle.

I added a little echo and reverb but did not alter any track (other than the warping done by Ableton). I used every track and did not add anything of my own.

If I had to use all of the tracks, as I did, I think I had to come up with a mechanical, deterministic process like the one I used. Otherwise, the choices I would have to make would be overwhelming.

3 Likes

many thanks to marc and c.reider for organizing this project.

i heard something like a jazz rhythm in the opening thirty seconds of track 2. i used ableton to convert the sample to a drum beat and accompanying keyboard harmony, then played a guitar solo which i doubled up and pitch shifted. have a great weekend everyone…

3 Likes

The playlist is now rolling:

I worked only with the first track from the album. In keeping with the spirit of the “free tools” theme, I decided to rework some samples from the track using Micah Frank’s free Grainstation-C software (a thread on that nifty software is here). It’s effectively a microlooper so my samples from Reider’s album (I used four in total) are very small–each only about 2 seconds–but no outside sounds are added. I did end up arranging some excerpts from the Grainstation session in a (commercial) DAW, but the only plugin or effect I used was the free version of the TDR Nova (a robust EQ plugin). Thanks to C. Reider for his generosity of spirit~

3 Likes

I took the opposite approach with c’s music, in that I added rhythm… he usually doesn’t do that. I took a section from the album version of Cloud #4 and added some of usual synth stuff.

4 Likes

I took a sample from Cloud 1 and used it for percussion, then had fun with some stabs and animoog:

4 Likes

Disquiet0405
???
• Key: ? BPM: 140 Time signature: 12/8 DAW: Reaper
• Instruments: VSTi’ s
• Plug-ins:Ozone 8, visual mixer
• Downloaded track 3 after it was chosen randomly by Random.com
• Changed the tempo to 140 bpm
• Changed time signature to 12/8
• Used audio to midi plugin in Reaper to send downloaded track to Massive X and Absynth 5
• Recorded the audio output of Massive X and Absynth 5 on to their own tracks
• Used Hybrid keys ( NI ) another track

2 Likes

I was excited to see this project pop up, this album is ripe for a full junto treatment.

I used the same procedural system for this one that I’ve used for other recent juntos. I’ve been working on another project for a while so the system itself hasn’t changed at all since the last junto I used it for. This time I just fed everything available (all the stems and all the tracks from the album) into the thing, set a seed – 56711140 arrived at by rolling my seed dice :slight_smile: – and asked it to generate about an hour of output. Otherwise, this is just untouched, raw output from the system.

I was interested to see – since some of the processes in the system are proportional based on the overall length, and that trickles down somewhat into other decisions as well – what a fairly long render would sound like. Before this I’ve only done renders between a few minutes and about 20 minutes in length.

Also I just wanted to hear what would happen when Chris’ album took over the system – there’s such a variety of timbre in it!

2 Likes

Remix of cloud 3 from C. Reider’s a trustable cloud album. Experimenting with half-speed and distressed tape effects.

All sounds were taken from cloud 3 but some were augmented with resonators.

3 Likes

Enjoyed remixing. Used Ableton and a spoon…

2 Likes

Sampled two segments from 2&3 and merged. Used Tardigrain and my horn. Been watching protests from XR and think it’s affected my mood tonight!

3 Likes

Definitely past the deadline, so no worries if this is fully disqualified.

I enjoyed the album so much and I’ve been watching from afar for many years, and since I have wanted to reengage with music, this seemed like the perfect opportunity.

1 Like

No problem. There’s always some wiggle room.

2 Likes