Disquiet Junto Project 0406: Phoneme Home

Rocket science is easy, transmitting samples back from a distant planet is hard. The audio channels overlap and we got all kind of weird interferences.

I only used the samples from NPS and some FX, no synths. All played and recorded in AUM on an iPad.

1 Like

3 Likes

A quick late night one for me here.

I’ve been quite into Vocoders recently after finally trying one out with my own voice in a track I had been working on. So decided it was appropriate to use again for an alien transmission.

I figured that a visitor to this planet would be equally intrigued by our technology as our nature and want to provide the best factual information possible to their friends and family back home. As it happens, vintage adverts exist showing off the best the park has to offer. I kept one track clean of this advert and a second track slightly delayed with a vocoder on it - with much of the dialogue quite indecipherable.

I sprinkled the recording with a dawn chorus, a maple fire, an Elk bugle (learnt a new word there) and Coyote’s singing. All with various effects added to them.

I’ve wanted to visit the park for the longest time, but still haven’t ever made it to that part of the US :expressionless:

3 Likes

OK I am in with my gritboy mix. Bison Rutting In The Dragon’s Mouth is on the SoundCloud. Having made my own recordings at Yellowstone a year ago I could not resist this one and made the time. A couple I had started did not get there. Had a pretty clear vision on what I wanted to do after listening to the samples and cherry picked three or four from the NPS ones to give it some more oomph. Alien technology provided by Form. I may want to revisit this batch of sounds later.

2 Likes

So awesome to see your name pop up here!

1 Like

Frog chorus with Digitakt.

3 Likes

Transmission following a visit to Yellowstone National Park by, strangely, Dutch-sounding aliens. This transmission contains recordings of Boreal frogs, Spadefoot toads, wolves and the Old Faithfull geyser.

The samples were sliced and played alternately over 16 bars with various filter and grain effects applied.

3 Likes

Went for a darker vibe with this one. Lots of Paulstretch on the various geysers and Granular synths on the animal sounds.

2 Likes

Disquiet0406

linguistics

• Key: BPM: 66 Time signature: 6/8 DAW Reaper
• Instruments:
• Plug-ins: AlterEgo
• Randomly chose the sounds to download and use in the project
• Downloaded 8 sounds
• Imported them into Reaper on to 8 separate tracks
• Added FX like panning, voice synth, reversing, delays

1 Like

Different clips of Bugeling Elk. Those who know my soundcloud (probably just me) know that there are several examples where I have used the wonderful Yellowstone library, including my submission to DJ 0401.

1 Like

Really nice sounds especially the voices

1 Like

Red squirrel and the Uinta ground squirrel trying to send a message.
Processed mainly through the demo version of GRM evolution, Argotlunar, reverb and delay.
Some processing as raw data in Audacity.

2 Likes

I selected a dozen or so samples from the Yellowstone library and loaded them into Logic. From there I decided to use the lake sounds and the maple fire as the backbone of the report – those bodies being the largest lifeforms or explorer encountered – and fit in some of the frogs, elk, birds, the passing automobile, around transitions in those samples. No processing other than a couple of volume fades.
Coincidentally this weekend went to an inspiring exhibit by the artist Tom Uttech who does fantastic nature landscapes full of creatures real and mythologized. The cover are is from this link: http://embarkkiosk.chazen.wisc.edu/VIEO24151?sid=18550&x=24096&port=1564

1 Like

Message from Commander Grbjk:

I am pleased to report the discovery of life on a small blue planet orbiting Yellow Star 172 in sector Jklk-133X, although none of the life appears to be intelligent. Attached is my first audio report with the sounds of several life forms along with my voice annotations. Additional audio and video recordings documenting other life forms, geological activity, and weather phenomena will be transmitted when time and conditions permit.

I created the rhythmic alien communications on a modular synthesizer (mostly E352 wavetable sounds modulated by LFOs and hand tweaking, processed through Mimeophon). Recordings of Western Meadowlark singing, Grizzly Bear roaring, and Chorus of Wolves are courtesy the National Park Service.

1 Like

Love the Whitman quote!!

2 Likes

Thanks so much for the kind words!

2 Likes