Disquiet Junto Project 0411: Wrapped Up

The Assignment: Record a piece of music as a gift for someone special to you.

Step 1: Think of someone you’d like to give a gift of music.

Step 2: Record a piece of music for the person you thought of in Step 1. You don’t need to identify the person when posting the music.

Seven More Important Steps When Your Track Is Done:

Step 1: Include “disquiet0411” (no spaces or quotation marks) in the name of your track.

Step 2: If your audio-hosting platform allows for tags, be sure to also include the project tag “disquiet0411” (no spaces or quotation marks). If you’re posting on SoundCloud in particular, this is essential to subsequent location of tracks for the creation of a project playlist.

Step 3: Upload your track. It is helpful but not essential that you use SoundCloud to host your track.

Step 4: Post your track in the following discussion thread at llllllll.co:

https://llllllll.co/t/disquiet-junto-project-0411-wrapped-up/

Step 5: Annotate your track with a brief explanation of your approach and process.

Step 6: If posting on social media, please consider using the hashtag #disquietjunto so fellow participants are more likely to locate your communication.

Step 7: Then listen to and comment on tracks uploaded by your fellow Disquiet Junto participants.

Additional Details:

Deadline: This project’s deadline is Monday, November 18, 2019, at 11:59pm (that is, just before midnight) wherever you are. It was posted on Thursday, November 14, 2019.

Length: The length is up to you.

Title/Tag: When posting your track, please include “disquiet0411” in the title of the track, and where applicable (on SoundCloud, for example) as a tag.

Upload: When participating in this project, post one finished track with the project tag, and be sure to include a description of your process in planning, composing, and recording it. This description is an essential element of the communicative process inherent in the Disquiet Junto. Photos, video, and lists of equipment are always appreciated.

Download: Consider setting your track as downloadable and allowing for attributed remixing (i.e., a Creative Commons license permitting non-commercial sharing with attribution, allowing for derivatives).

For context, when posting the track online, please be sure to include this following information:

More on this 411th weekly Disquiet Junto project — Wrapped Up / The Assignment: Record a piece of music as a gift for someone special to you — at:

https://disquiet.com/0411/

More on the Disquiet Junto at:

https://disquiet.com/junto/

Subscribe to project announcements here:

http://tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto/

Project discussion takes place on llllllll.co:

https://llllllll.co/t/disquiet-junto-project-0411-wrapped-up/

There’s also a Disquiet Junto Slack. Send your email address to twitter.com/disquiet for Slack inclusion.

2 Likes

The project is now live.

Recorded with several synths (Quanta, Phosphor, Samplr) through Elektron Analog Heat MK 2. All sampled in 1010music Blackbox and recorded back in Cubasis.
Have fun!

5 Likes

A specific mouse has been hanging around here, so I made a gift for him.

5 Likes

How’s that blackbox working out for you?

Love it, small, battery powered, very good sounding and nice 16 Track sampler
Use ist for stamp playback on live Shows and also for composing and arranging.

3 Likes

The playlist is now rolling. Thanks, folks!

2 Likes

Hey All,
Dear Lyla Lou
You know there ain’t nothing in this world for me but you.
I said things that were unkind.
I said things that were unsound
I know that we could find
That thing that we ain’t found
Boombox Love in the boondocks.
Boombox Love
The kind of love
Make the heart go Boom
Heart go boom
Boombox Love in the boondocks.
Boombox Love

Peace, Hugh

5 Likes

The Junto this week prompted me to finish a song I started last year.

Wild At Heart takes it’s title and chorus from my favourite film.

The song tells the story of how I met and fell in love with my partner of 17 years.

3 Likes

For the inspiration, giddy happiness and balmy calm of a family.

(You know who you are…)

4 Likes

A Gift is written for my parents. In 1971 the writing of my music progressed (or some might say “regressed”) from writing songs on the guitar to writing serial music. I remember sitting at the piano and my mother pleading with me to write “something nice.” A Gift is for them, who tolerated me through those years. If my father could hear this I can imagine him saying, “At least it doesn’t sound like they’re simply tuning their instruments.”

A Gift was written for three Flutes and Alto Flute.

The score is available at http://bit.ly/33RANxz

6 Likes

Second half of this year was devoted to guitars, basses and pedals. Most exciting pedal in 2019 is 856 for Zellersasn which arrived in October 2019. Here one of my first experiments with this amainzg tool.
A short guitarphrase is decomposed/recomposed. Plays like a drunken guitarist in the back. Me playing theme and something. All other sounds come from Zoom ARQ 48. (Longer version in the playlist 856 sonoprints.)
A gift for my Notwin twin Rudy. Times and music have changed. You see!

4 Likes

it’s been a while! i couldn’t resist such an open prompt :smiley:

I also remixed this with some make noise modules.

4 Likes

The Assignment: Record a piece of music as a gift for someone special to you.

Bass and piano are heavily adapted MIDI lines - based on my mum’s middle name - from clarallel.com.
Guitar mishandled by me. Thank you dad for always having guitars around the house.
Closing sample is a voice message from my son to my brother.
(Tell Ria we can’t wait to see her next summer.)

Please don’t worry. This is just my sense of humour, and we’re a fully functioning family - whatever that means!!

And grandma Aggie, I didn’t forget you. I’ve spoken about you a lot recently. Maybe you heard…

7 Likes

This one goes out to my dear old mum.

Oh, I had some fun with this one. Within seconds of of reading the brief, I immediately recalled a project/concept that I thought of way back in 2007. I’d recently come back from Melbourne, and I was intrigued by a business based there called T2 that was selling a variety of teas and assorted tea accessories. What struck me about the business was their two-tone colour branding on the square boxes that the tea came in. There was a standard orange background, with another colour to denote the given tea - i.e red = English Breakfast; dark green = Japanese Sencha, etc.

T2

Anyway, I thought to myself at the time: “wow, wouldn’t it be cool if you could sell sounds that folks could put inside teapots?” At the time I got as far as designing some short loops and playing them back from an iPod shuffle and placing a loudspeaker on top/inside a teapot. It didn’t really progress from there.

So, when this assignment came up I thought about this old concept and how T2 (which has since expanded nationwide in AU) is very popular for gifts - especially around Christmas. What if I was to create a blend of sounds that you could put in various objects around your home to discretely colour or articulate a space? I thought that this was similar also to the use of fragrances and diffusers in a domestic setting.

I made a little composition using a field recording I’d made on my phone of William Barton and a cellist performing at a morning meditation session in Fairy Glen during the MONA FOMA festival in Launceston back in January. I blended this recording with the iOS app AMG, which was playing a randomly generated series of tones in the Ryukyu scale in D. Both of these sources were routed to a mixer, and I used the built-in pitch shift FX send and EQ to manipulate the sounds a little.

Once I had my loop, I played it back via a DIY’d mp3 player and small loudspeaker. I placed this in my big red teapot and recorded the result in my studio. The audio here consists of the original loop, followed by the playback in the teapot. The resonant acoustic properties of the teapot clearly condition the composition and give it a unique character!

As you can see, I also appropriated the T2 box design for the cheeky artwork accompanying this track. Hopefully a ‘cease and desist’ won’t eventuate. x TLR

5 Likes

For my daughter Caroline, who turned 16 last week.

Two guitars–one (left) leads (or tries to); the (right) other follows (or tries to), sometimes clashing. The first guitar doesn’t follow a completely set pattern and doesn’t provide instructions to the second one, which sometimes struggles to follow, sometimes gives up and wanders or fights. Meanwhile, a third guitar emerges in the background–the echo of ghosts? Finally, the three find harmony.

Played on the Saga kit guitar that Caroline and I assembled and painted years ago, into Ableton Live. Lots of reverb, compression and limiting.

8 Likes

Rejected track for my upcoming mini album “Charango & Ronroco Underscores” (publisher commission)

Dedicated to a younger (past) version of a dear friend I’ve known for all my life.
And dedicated to VP for 30 years of understanding.

Instruments I played, in order of appearance:
Charango
Acoustic bass guitar
Synthesizer
Bombo legüero
Pezuñas
Marimba/Tongue Drum
Plastic “flutophone”

Composed and performed by DD, Paris, October 2019
Photo by DD, Asturias, Spain, 2016

8 Likes

I was thinking about this challenge yesterday, standing at the cash register buying beer, when our great, good and wonderful friend Justin left me a voicemail, which you can hear in the middle of the track.

This one’s for Justin!

4 Likes

This is a gift to Jack Kornfield, whose Mind Like Sky guided meditation has been very helpful to me. A version can be found here - https://jackkornfield.com/a-mind-like-sky/. It is a mediation based on accepting the sounds around us.

“Paint not the thing, but the effect it produces.” - Mallarmé

Production Notes: Recorded with AUM on an iPad.
The wind sound is produced by a patch on the Modal Skulpt synth.
There is a binaural tone produced at 73 and 79 hz by Multitone Generator app.
There is a drone underneath from a sub37 patch.
The bell is a patch I made on the LaGrange synth app.
The panning higher sound is a sequence and patch from the Minilogue xd.
Modulation and effects from FAC Chorus and Envolver, and Bram Bos’ Perforator and Kosmonaut.

Photo by Dominik Schröder on Unsplash

4 Likes

This is a gift to all in this community who make this thing possible. Special thanks to:

@disquiet
@trickyflemming
@neauoire
@scanner_darkly

Using VCV Rack:

Orca’s Heart and Orca (the live coding tool). Rings, Chronoblob, Bogaudio MIx8, HetrickCV Shaper, IMPROMPTU CLOCKED, Erica Black Octasource,NYSTHI Master Recorder.

There are probably others in the community who have developed modules in VCV, if so I thank you as well. In general thanks to everyone’s hard work and dedication in creating hardware and software noise making devices.

5 Likes