Disquiet Junto Project 0418: Ice-Nine

Disquiet Junto Project 0418: Ice-Nine
The Assignment: Record the sound of ice in a glass and make something of it.

Welcome to a new year (the ninth!) of Disquiet Junto communal music projects. This week’s project is as follows. It’s the same project we’ve begun each year with since the very first Junto project, way back in January 2012. The project is, per tradition, just this one step:

Step 1: Please record the sound of an ice cube rattling in a glass, and make something of it.

Background: Longtime participants in, and observers of, the Disquiet Junto series will recognize this single-sentence assignment — “Please record the sound of an ice cube rattling in a glass, and make something of it” — as the very first Disquiet Junto project, the same one that launched the series back on the first Thursday of January 2012. Revisiting it at the start of each year since has provided a fitting way to begin the new year. At the start of the ninth year of the Disquiet Junto, it is a tradition. A weekly project series can come to overemphasize novelty, and it’s helpful to revisit old projects as much as it is to engage with new ones. Also, by its very nature, the Disquiet Junto suggests itself as a fast pace: a four-day production window, a regular if not weekly habit. It can be beneficial to step back and see things from a longer perspective.

Bonus: If you don’t have time to record ice yourself, longtime and frequent Junto member Jason Richardson has provided for your use both an audio file (mediafire.com) and a video file (mediafire.com).

Seven More Important Steps When Your Track Is Done:

Step 1: Include “disquiet0418” (no spaces or quotation marks) in the name of your track.

Step 2: If your audio-hosting platform allows for tags, be sure to also include the project tag “disquiet0418” (no spaces or quotation marks). If you’re posting on SoundCloud in particular, this is essential to subsequent location of tracks for the creation of a project playlist.

Step 3: Upload your track. It is helpful but not essential that you use SoundCloud to host your track.

Step 4: Post your track in the following discussion thread at llllllll.co:

https://llllllll.co/t/disquiet-junto-project-0418-ice-nine/

Step 5: Annotate your track with a brief explanation of your approach and process.

Step 6: If posting on social media, please consider using the hashtag #disquietjunto so fellow participants are more likely to locate your communication.

Step 7: Then listen to and comment on tracks uploaded by your fellow Disquiet Junto participants.

Additional Details:

Deadline: This project’s deadline is Monday, January 6, 2020, at 11:59pm (that is, just before midnight) wherever you are. It was posted on Thursday, January 2, 2020.

Length: The length is up to you. Shorter is often better.

Title/Tag: When posting your track, please include “disquiet0418” in the title of the track, and where applicable (on SoundCloud, for example) as a tag.

Upload: When participating in this project, post one finished track with the project tag, and be sure to include a description of your process in planning, composing, and recording it. This description is an essential element of the communicative process inherent in the Disquiet Junto. Photos, video, and lists of equipment are always appreciated.

Download: Consider setting your track as downloadable and allowing for attributed remixing (i.e., a Creative Commons license permitting non-commercial sharing with attribution, allowing for derivatives).

For context, when posting the track online, please be sure to include this following information:

More on this 418th weekly Disquiet Junto project — Ice-Nine / The Assignment: Record the sound of ice in a glass and make something of it — at:

https://disquiet.com/0418/

More on the Disquiet Junto at:

https://disquiet.com/junto/

Subscribe to project announcements here:

http://tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto/

Project discussion takes place on llllllll.co:

https://llllllll.co/t/disquiet-junto-project-0418-ice-nine/

There’s also a Disquiet Junto Slack. Send your email address to twitter.com/disquiet for Slack inclusion.

4 Likes

The project is now live.

1 Like

glass of ice into looper I wrote in ChucK, controlled by an Akai LPD8. It can do up to four loops at once with independently controlled gain and speed (including backwards) for each. I also programmed some of the buttons to turn echo and reverb on and off. (first 10 seconds are silent–I forgot I had the live (vs looped) audio turned off)

This was fun! I might do this at an upcoming live show. Code for the looper is here:

github.com/charliekramer/ChucK…oper%20MIDI%20v2.ck

9 Likes

First Junto assignment in nearly a month. I took a bit of a break from everything over Christmas as record-breaking heatwaves scare the hell out of everyone, ignite an enormous chunk of the country, and render oneself virtually unable to do anything but imagine apocalypse. Happy summer in the southern hemisphere!

My studio’s aircon is out of action, so it’s warm up here today (43C outside in Adelaide today.) I recorded a stack of ice in a tall glass of water with a hydrophone dropped in to isolate any peripheral sounds. My first attempts were a little dull, so I started tapping the ice on the surface and this created a nice dynamic effect with quite a bit of variation and gesture.

I took this short recording and set up a series of four looping buffers in Max and played with the relative speeds and spatialisation of the recording. I found that playing the loops in reverse around ~1/4 - ~1/3 speed garnered the most interesting results, though a forward motion loop (at original speed) appears briefly at the mid-point of this track.

6 Likes

Home Movies. This was an exercise in MAX for me. Some old friends and I often send short videos or audio clips that we make. I searched through my old emails from them and used those old clips. I’ve sent this video back to them wondering whether they will recognize their videos.

3 Likes

I especially like the last 30 or 40 seconds where it goes kind of crazy and spooky. Like an abominable snowman. I would take that bit and expand it to a full piece.

4 Likes

Hi All,

OK, so it’s not ice! I’ve been playing with the sound of cracking nuts … dry ice?

Happy New Decade!!

h u :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Don’t think I’ll be part of this one unfortunately, but wanted to pop in to wish EVERYBODY A HAPPY 2020, heathy, creative and productive.
Love DD

11 Likes

This short piece is inspired by a video of packed ice I recorded at Sletten, Denmark a few years back. The sound has been treated and used as a background and further inspiration for this piece.

I’m surprised that this turned out a bit dark and ominous but maybe with a bit of hope peeking through?!

I added some voices, added some GeoSonics recordings of ice, as well as a Buchla sequenced sound…

The video of the ice and sounds can be found here: https://youtu.be/16KIV3UIEwo

Happy New Year, all.

6 Likes

csound and sox 'd a file recorded on the phone
ice fishing in the kitchen freezer,
while ysidro plays piano in the den

5 Likes

The playlist is now rolling:

1 Like

I used the provided ice samples and made a selection. Loaded several into my sampler and made some loops. Planned the order of entries of loops and recorded that process. Then did some spectral editing for seasoning, and finally mastered…

7 Likes

By the beard of Zeus I will participate in this one! I’ll record a sample tonight and get to work this weekend.

4 Likes

Hi all, Happy New Year from the Burning Land.

I returned to the recording of ice in a glass I first made in 2013 and shook it a little harder…

8 Likes

The prompt this week was simple. “Record ice in a glass and do something”. But the thing I’m really enjoying about the disquiet exercise is what that ends up actually evolving into.

So this week I took two glasses (a whiskey tumbler and a Christmas decorative glass) filled one with ice and started pouring the ice back and forth in front of a mic. And then I sort of played an EP over it and kinda liked that, then something clicked, but the ice wasn’t right, but aha, the ice is kind of a shaker. So I recorded it again. Then modified the EP. And then had to fix the ice. And then play the ice again. And once that was in place, I added the small lead and bass and a light pad, some mastering and voila. Not that exciting a process.

Except, if you are reading carefully, I had to do 4 takes of the ice.

And so here we are “Four Takes to Nail the Ice (disquiet0418)”

6 Likes

Hey All, Happy 2020! Cheers to bassling for the frosty samples.I also did a non-submission using my own recordings.

Peace, Hugh

5 Likes

cool sounds :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I’ve done the “ice” assignment every year.

In 2019, I processed 2018’s audio using my then-new Empress Reverb device.

For 2020, I took samples from all of my previous recordings, either unprocessed ice or from the completed recording, multi-tracked and mixed them, and ran all that out into my Empress Reverb and recorded the magic.

More at: https://www.markrushton.com

2 Likes

Ah, as if recording ice melting in a glass wasn’t interesting enough, as of late, the idea of “ice melting” on a planetary scale has become a bit of a poignant issue. Interesting times, indeed.

So here’s this: Melt-Nine.

More a datascape than a soundscape composition: the original recordings of melting ice have been convolved (FFT analysis) with a dataset from the NSIDC Sea Ice Index, which contains details on the evolution of the surface of sea ice on the planet since 1978. All of this was done in Pd. So, in
essence you are listening to more ice-melting data than sounds of ice melting.

Photo: William H. Peirce, “Iceberg in the Atlantic, off the Coast of Labrador”, 1864.

1 Like

Finally, a use for this 2L volumetric flask and magnetic stirrer plate!

On the neck is a contact mic, through a basic preamp I made. I recorded for a while, shook the flask when the stir bars got stuck, added some water, etc. Took a few segments from various points in the recording & slowed some of them by 2x 3x or 4x. Panned around, swapped the channels for the 4x-slowed ones. EQ. Saturation. Reverb w/ slow frequency shifter. So it goes. Such as it is.

8 Likes