Disquiet Junto Project 0429: Solitary Ensembles

@GLSmyth - I really like the droning strings throughout. The texture is really nice support for fairly light orchestral instrumentation; I can’t wait to hear the completed piece.

@howthenightcame - the concept here is interesting, but I often find myself uninspired by such algorithmic approaches, but in this case it really worked. It had a feel of interesting, varied polymetric drumming. Great concept and execution.

@pfig - Really interesting work; such a minimal feeling with emotional content but lots of space to work with. I’m looking forward to see where this gets taken.

@gusp - Really nice rhythms and an interesting meter. It’s always so tempting to record and edit to really locked in time. This was a refreshing change and nicely played.

@Zedkah - For me this works way better than I imagined it would given your description. Its simple approach yielded so much movement, rhythm and texture! Really nice work.

@modus_pony - I really enjoyed the feeling of randomness and the hollow and metallic tones. It has enough substance not to feel sparse and unfinished but enough space to work around: a surprisingly hard balance to reach.

@pineyb - I liked the bass tone a lot, it has a sort of “drum membrane” attack and a rounded but plucky character. It feels like something that can effectively be built around.

@vgmrmojo - A simple form with just the right sounds: it all sits together so nicely. I’m trying to picture how I’d layer on top of it without diminishing the impact. I’m looking forward to seeing what people can do with it!

5 Likes

I had to read that twice. At first, I thought that you’d been complimented by a drone.

1 Like

REM is cordially invited to use one of my grinding atonal suites! :slight_smile:

let me come back to this, work is a bit hectic right now. But I like the idea of a code base, not least because it would inspire me (and others, I reckon) to try new things.

1 Like

https://github.com/baconpaul/disquiet I set up a repo for my various dumb disquiet hacks. I chose gpl3 which is what I usually use for music software (the one exception being the surge c++ tuning library which I made mit).

Sharing a repo for the idiosyncratic and High speed nature of the Thursday to Saturday disquiet hacks may be inconvenient but I wonder if perhaps some sort of github repo which lists everyone’s disquiet repos, or some sort of convention for naming and tagging code in GitHub May serve the same idea if everyone seeing the disquiet code easily?

edit: One thing we could do is just put a tag ‘disquiet’ as a repo topic in github. (In your repo click ‘manage topics’). Then you can find all the repos where people have disquiet related code? I tagged the above as disquiet and now you can find all the repos that have that tag. Which is that repo only. But you know…

3 Likes

This was really lovely, and so full of possibilities. Just perfect for the prompt.

3 Likes

Thank you very much!

1 Like

Field recording of waves made while my father was dying, far away, of a lung disease due to COVID-19. A sad and pensive time for me. And a difficult time for all of us. Listening can be a balm and a means of grounding in this temporarily much quieter world.

I recorded this binaurally, then converted to MS and just picked the M channel for this piece. It’s a short excerpt of a much longer piece. It starts with about two minutes of complex crashing waves, and then into a lull of less energetic sloshier waves. Note the crows.

I look forward to hearing the various combinations we all come up with of the remarkably diverse submissions this week.

As instructed, this is a mono file with all the sound on the left side of a stereo pair.

5 Likes

Bb drone. Electric bass low string tuned as low as possible without flopping around and clicking on the frets. Reverse swell into each note and layered so the sounds are continuous. There is some beating between the 2 tracks.

Feel free to chop this bass up into something rhythmic or loop some of the internal rhythms from the tones clashing.

5 Likes

it’s very kind of you to offer such positive encouragement to us all - thank you

This is fantastic. Do you know the duo called ZOMBI? Bass / keys player and drummer. You might like this:

1 Like

Has anyone attached MIDI files to their submission last week (0429) (or could they)? I’m learning Magenta for a presentation next week, and I could use MIDI files from last week’s project as input for this week’s (0430) project. Kill two birds with one stone.

2 Likes

@Paul_Reiners My ableton file is full of randomizers (velocity etc.) but I could export the whole drum track as a midi file if you like

2 Likes

That would be cool if you did. I’m experimenting with Google Magenta which can actually add drummer-like timing to the strict timing of MIDI. But it’s up to you.

2 Likes

@Paul_Reiners OK, I’ll take all the velocity and humanize functions off and send you the strictly quantized midi drum file - it should be easier to hear what magenta is doing then. I’ll be home and able to send it in about twelve hours. Until then!!

2 Likes

Polyend Medusa > Chase Bliss Blooper > Red Panda Particle 2

4 Likes

Sounds like a background music loop that would have worked perfectly behind a Joe Frank radio story.

1 Like

Hello Paul,
I’m new enough in Lines, I don’t seem to have DM permissions yet. I’m interested in making “A Second Third” from your piece and would like to see the Logic Pro project if possible. Great piece! Thanks!
Ray

2 Likes

This is cool. This is very cool. I wish I could do a fourth submission for 0430.

1 Like

You could just break the rules and see what happens …

2 Likes

@Stull here you go! https://www.dropbox.com/sh/epp0vdmoo6pw1se/AAA8AvLMzEIlxWMEL147mVuKa?dl=0

The midi track is playing into pianotec but I bounced it to audio also in case you don’t have the plugin.

1 Like