Disquiet Junto Project 0430: Solitary Ensembles x 2

Sorry, just noticed my reply went to your post by mistake.

1 Like

My second random source track from disquiet0429 by William Boldenweck was quite a challenge. Finally I decided to enhance the perceived darkness of the source track by adding an electronically processed tuba part on the right channel.

5 Likes

About 2 weeks ago, we left NYC for a less urban location. Out here, I have a subset of my gear. A pretty good piano, an electric guitar, but that’s kinda it. But there’s also a hammered dulcimer here which was a gift years ago.

So I tuned it up and played along with the electric guitar @Paul had recorded last weekend.

I’m a pretty bad hammered dulcimer player as you can hear but it still has a nice atmosphere to it so I figured what the heck, share a second.

Enjoy!

6 Likes

Disquiet0430
Solitary Ensembles x 2
• Key: C minor? BPM: 120 Time signature: 4/4 DAW: Reaper
• Instruments:
• Plug-ins: Kontakt 6
• Used Random.com to choose track #7 by https://soundcloud.com/junklight
• Old Earth (a beginning) - disquiet0429 is the track that was chosen
• Imported Old Earth file into Reaper
• Added some percussion loops to Old Earth

3 Likes

So much ridiculously good music to choose from for next week… This is going to be the hardest week ever, which one do I work with, they’re all so inspiring :thinking:

7 Likes

added drums to - Matthew Thomas Davis - Bass Drones

5 Likes

Thanks Paul. Now we played a beautiful crescendo all together at the end of this little tune and it made me smile hard.
Also I saw a guy called Gilbert Päffgen play a hammered dulcimer type of instrument a couple of months ago and it was pretty mesmerizing. Weak spot for this instrument since then :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Here’s a second third to Zedkah’s “White Masque-”.
Since today was Piano Day (the 88th day of the year) the added part is all piano and a little fx. Just simple playing with Zedkah’s part and trying to respond to it.

[note: updated this post since at first I could not get the SoundCloud embedding to work. Turns out it’s actually simpler than I thought at first, no embedding through SoundCloud’s “embed” function needed at all, pasting the link, as text and not through lines’ link option, is enough]

6 Likes

I used @UntilledSound (#26 here), and @NorthWoods ’ submission, which was already taken up by someone else too.

2 Likes

I did another roll and got: 8 ausgesuchtestenohren - Solitary Ensembles Part 1. I’ll work on that one tonight as my third entry!

2 Likes

For my second entry I saw that @sevenism submission Deep Blues L was still unclaimed, so I jumped on it. Tried to take the blues and make them colder.

Technical stuff. I took the original, copied it, panned to right, stretched the whole thing out and then cut that up into bits roughly the length of the track and melded them back together to create a drone. Used a glitched synth sample from one of my favorite libraries, recorded a line through my favorite effects chain loosely tied to the original timings. Used the last note of the original and stretched it out long to create a drone that built up through the second half.

6 Likes

This used @modus_pony 's Chewed Tongue selected via the I Ching:

I added a bass part by using the midi note out capability of FAC Envolver - placed Envolver to listen to Chewed Tongue and output notes to a Monologue XD patch. It is a plucked cello-is patch with some tape delay added.

The result is nice. I hope it gets some jazz brushes next round…

7 Likes

That’s great!

I can hear heaps of possibilities – it’s inviting when a track still sounds open to collaboration.

Can relate to what you wrote about putting one’s voice out there.

3 Likes

Love this! Particularly wowed by that cascade of sharp envelopes early on, the tone you got out of the DOSWave / Fuzz Factory, and how expanded the larger dynamics feel.

2 Likes

This is my third submission for the week, in this case the piece by @Ausgesuchtestenohren Solitary Ensembles Part 1. The original was very open and didn’t have a very clear tempo so I tried to add one (86bpm). The first addition was the sustained bass part. I had this glide to track the notes of the piano. I wasn’t too sure about this when things shifted up a register but I went with it anyway. I then added a plucky guitarish synth hinting at some harmony related to the notes played. The last element was a woody sound also tracking the melody though staying in a single register.

I did some EQ and added some effects which I included also in my stem version (linked from the above) primarily as the long delay on the piano was pretty critical to the combination. Hardware wise we had MPC sequencing and playing the original part, Bass station 2 on Bass, Peak on Guitarish pluck, Volca FM on woody sound and my typically Boss 500 effects.

On the whole I like the result but it gets a too strange near the middle but it comes back together so I’ll say I was being experimental. Thanks to everyone who took part: this was great fun. I’m looking forward to hearing the completed tracks next week.

4 Likes

More Islands - based on a track by https://soundcloud.com/petejahn - I don’t actually see a post in the original thread by them or a username that fits so dunno if they are a member here. But either way - the track appealed to me…

5 Likes

Very inspired by the Telecaster recording from Daniel Diaz (@DeDe). Did my best to write out notes and chords that would match or create dissonance, added them in with an Ableton synth that included some bell harmonics. Then added a bass that resembles a plastic pipe. Reverb to get the mood. Last year I visited an atomic test reactor, deep underground. Wistful and remote, but with beautiful sound, it could have been the place where this track played in a corner, on an old tape machine…

6 Likes

tried my hand at adding some counterpoint to @GLSmyth’s wonderful arrangement. kept it a little more sparse to avoid thickening the whole thing up too much. excited to see what a third piece of it could be.

edit - the right channel came out a little quiet here, so whoever runs with this for week three should probably play with levels a little bit

4 Likes

OK now posting this in the right forum page. Sheesh sorry

Anyway I used @tristan_louth_robins marching eurorack stem, which the random number generator assigned me (between my three submissions I have followed the rules exactly once, in that my second is properly paned and my third is RNG selected. Sorry!).

Listening to it I had two distinct thoughts

1. How would that sound driving a set of ring modulators and feedback networks, two sounds I’ve been using a lot lately (like my Crop Circles submission) and
  2. Wonder if I should add an orchestra string section to make an ominous sounding theme

Turns out the answer, I think, was “kinda spooky” and “sure”. You may disagree. In any case hope you enjoy. Hit me up if you want stems or the logic file or some such.

And with that, I’m done with trio stage two. Be safe and well, folks.

5 Likes

Wow - very nice, and thanks for taking a look at it. Hopefully this will be completed this coming week.

Cheers -

george

2 Likes