Disquiet Junto Project 0433: Kit Bits

Disquiet Junto Project 0433: Kit Bits
The Assignment: Create a kit’s worth of percussion samples.

Thanks to folks on the Disquiet Junto Slack for helping to plan this.

Step 1: As with the past four weeks, this week’s project is intended to encourage and reward collaboration. Keep that in mind. The work you do this week will be used by someone else next week.

Step 2: The project is to create a kit’s worth of samples. Define “kit” as you wish, and come up with as few or as many samples as you wish. The samples should all be forms of percussion (again, defined as you wish). Between 5 and 10 sounds about right, but there are no limits.

Step 3: Upload the samples for sharing, and make sure they’re downloadable. Consider labeling each with some identifying characteristic. If you do this on SoundCloud, please create a playlist of the samples and include disquiet0433 in the title of the playlist. (Note: While you be making multiple sounds, please upload just one kit’s worth of samples.)

Seven More Important Steps When Your Sample Kit Is Done:

Step 1: Include “disquiet0433” (no spaces or quotation marks) in the name of your tracks.

Step 2: If your audio-hosting platform allows for tags, be sure to also include the project tag “disquiet0433” (no spaces or quotation marks). If you’re posting on SoundCloud in particular, this is essential to subsequent location of tracks for the creation of a project playlist.

Step 3: Upload your tracks. It is helpful but not essential that you use SoundCloud to host your tracks.

Step 4: Post your tracks in the following discussion thread at llllllll.co:

https://llllllll.co/t/disquiet-junto-project-0433-kit-bits/

Step 5: Annotate your tracks with a brief explanation of your approach and process.

Step 6: If posting on social media, please consider using the hashtag #disquietjunto so fellow participants are more likely to locate your communication.

Step 7: Then listen to and comment on tracks uploaded by your fellow Disquiet Junto participants.

Additional Details:

Deadline: This project’s deadline is Monday, April 20, 2020, at 11:59pm (that is, just before midnight) wherever you are. It was posted on Thursday, April 16, 2020.

Length: The length and number of samples is up to you. Brief is probably best, and between 5 and 10 is probably best.

Title/Tag: When posting your tracks, please include “disquiet0433” in the title of the tracks, and where applicable (on SoundCloud, for example) as a tag.

Upload: When participating in this project, be sure to include a description of your process in planning, composing, and recording it. This description is an essential element of the communicative process inherent in the Disquiet Junto. Photos, video, and lists of equipment are always appreciated.

Download: Given the nature of this particular project sequence, it is best to set your track as downloadable and allowing for attributed remixing (i.e., a Creative Commons license permitting non-commercial sharing with attribution, allowing for derivatives).

For context, when posting the track online, please be sure to include this following information:

More on this 433rd weekly Disquiet Junto project, Disquiet Junto Project 0433: Kit Bits — The Assignment: Create a kit’s worth of percussion samples — at:

https://disquiet.com/0433/

More on the Disquiet Junto at:

https://disquiet.com/junto/

Subscribe to project announcements here:

http://tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto/

Project discussion takes place on llllllll.co:

https://llllllll.co/t/disquiet-junto-project-0433-kit-bits/

There’s also a Disquiet Junto Slack. Send your email address to twitter.com/disquiet for Slack inclusion.

Image associated with this track is by Abby, used thanks to a Creative Commons license and Flickr. The image has been cropped, colors shifted, and text added.

https://flic.kr/p/5azoLJ

https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/2.0/

5 Likes

The project is now live. For reasons I don’t understand, my browser is currently crashing when I try to upload images (both to here and to Twitter), so I’ll add it later. You can find the cover image at disquiet.com/0433. (Update: the image has subsequently managed to upload.)

fun idea! missed the opportunity to get everyone to upload room tone for disquiet junto 0433 4’33” tho :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Totally! I was thinking of something along those lines, and yielded to the spirit of the moment, opting for something distinctly less introspective. I do encourage people to make percussive material from their room tones.

2 Likes

I’ve exported a dozen sounds from my recording of Spinks Park for the Junto to use.

You can download audio (7mb aif file) and video (21mb mov file), both single files containing the 12 tones.

9 Likes

I sampled my Udu drum 80bpm; hope this is useful…

2 Likes

From January through March 2019, I rented a room in an apartment on the Corso Vittorio Emanuele in Napoli, in the south of Italy. I’d seen AGF using the iMPC ipad app, so I downloaded it and gave it a try, recording sounds around my temporary home. Coins, light switches, a latch on the desk, blowing in a wine bottle, and so on. I mostly forgot about the app, as I was traveling until July and then spent much of the last year moving and teaching and writing and finishing up other projects. When I read the instructions for this week’s Disquiet Junto, I figured I would share that kit.

4 Likes

It’s funny: after the video ran in the browser, at the end it shows next videos to watch, and one is for the Morphagene. And I was like, I don’t think Jason uses Eurorack.

1 Like

I used Speak & Spell letters for this. I used the technique described in the section “Drums from a Voice” in Interactive Composition by V.J. Manzo and Will Kuhn. I used Ableton Live’s Impulse.

I ‘bent’ a Speak & Spell years ago and used it on a composition back then: “Kirk O’Bain”. I thought of using my bent Speak & Spell for this, but the batteries were dead. Oh, well.

I’m going to try to do add some more samples to this after supper.

Credits

2 Likes

I can’t keep a rack together, let alone a Eurorack.

And it’s obvious I can’t be bothered learning to use those end-of-video settings on Youtube either!

1 Like

I love it. That takes me back.

1 Like

A somewhat uncanny coincidence, since I’ve been spending the past week working on my own sound library! Even better, I’ve been keen to record a bunch of metallic sounds, mostly derived from domestic objects, as well as some of my percussion instruments on hand. So, I thought I’d compile a selection of metallic sounds which vary in timbre, sustains and tone complexity. All are presented as they were recorded, aside from an egg timer bell which I pitched down two octaves.

The file is in .wav format so any pitch modification should render things cleanly.

Order of sequence:

• agogo high
  • agogo low
  • “cap cluster” (homemade percussion instruments made from bottle caps)
  • egg timer (-24 pitch shifted)
  • metal bottle
  • detuned kalimba
  • oven tray - middle struck
  • oven tray - corner struck
  • tin lid
  • tin tray
3 Likes

PRINCE HAL:
The land is burning, Percy stands on high,
And either we or they must lower lie.

FALSTAFF:
Rare words! Brave world! Hostess, my breakfast, come!
O, I could wish this tavern were my drum. (Henry IV Part I, III.iii.200-3)

I made a bank of drum samples by using and abusing my beloved hardback “Complete Works” of Shakespeare (ed. Bate and Rasmussen.)

KICK: drop book on pillow
HAT (closed): quickly drag finger across page
HAT (open): slowly drag finger across page
SNARE: flicked my finger against cover
TOM: drop book on pillow then pitch-shift
CYMBAL: flick through pages, reversed and paulstretched

I think the kick and closed hat came out quite nicely, but the rest will definitely need some E.Q. or whatever magic it is that I’m not really able to do!!

3 Likes

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4uc6kuy9r5607wc/chalkwalk-kit_bits.zip?dl=1

I provided a set of 16 samples in 4 groups of 4. The first set were made on the Bass Station 2, the second on the Peak, the third on the Microfreak and the 4th recorded by microphone. The microphone ones were recorded today except for “wheek” which is a slightly older recording of my guinea pig who died a couple of days ago (which I hope someone will find a use for!). I’m looking forward to seeing how these all get used next week.

1 Like

hi. long time no see. i am now having a little more time again as well (as probably most other fellow disquieters) and thought this might be a good start back into contributing to the disquiet junto.
so here we go:

this is my take on the whole assignment. i hope it all works with playback and all as this playlist is only 7 seconds long and i’m not sure if that would give anyone wanting to listen to it via soundcloud hiccups. alternatively, please just donwload the whole lot and you’ll be good to go…….;)………

this is what i have to say about the sounds:
"this is ¶radio hummingbird’s contribution to this week’s disquiet junto with the serial number 0433. in short, the requirement for this contribution was to create a sample pack containing percussive sounds.

to achieve this, i used all my acoustic items which i normally use for creating looped soundscapes. these include bubble wrap, paper, card board, metallic objects, seed pods, you name it. all sound samples have been created solely for this purpose and have been recorded without the use of any effect pedals or else.

a daw or computers were only used, for cutting the files into the appropriate length and normalising the sounds. easy.

please enjoy and make good use of the samples for your own projects."
:slight_smile:

edit: here’s a quick compilation of all individual saples in one single file just for a better overview of the collection -

2 Likes

Dropbox link for individual samples.

This is really not my forte so there wasn’t much of a creative process to talk about. Most of them are randomly generated by a program called Drum Computer by Sugarbytes, and I just curated and processed them. One kick I made with the Europa synth, but that was frustrating enough to remind me of why I do not make my own drums.

3 Likes

I used 1. recordings with a telephone coil microphone recording sounds from an external blu ray drive and a smartphone and 2. random recordings from a Soma Ether device. In these recordings I picked up those areas which I though to be useful for a drum kit, just as I would do it for myself.

The track contains all samples in no special order in one FLAC, downloadable.

There is a ZIP which contains every sample as a single WAV:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/ivxzmmy2fq9a1l2/krakenkraft-electromagnetic-kit.zip/file
… should work for 14 days.

5 Likes

I’ve been coding quite a lot of features in Surge, thinking we could do a pretty big “1.7” release this summer. Last couple of weeks, for instance, I started adding a flanger, finished off a reverb circuit which had been in the codebase, and more. When I added the flanger I had a feedback setting which would let me drive feedback off a cliff. My collaborators suggested it was a bit much and I said MAYBE ITS NOT ENOUGH. But they were right, so I scaled the feature a bit. But feedback in flangers is fun

So I took my nightly build of surge out for a ride and tried to make some flange-feedback reverb-based digital splats.

hoping that someone can use them

If you want to use them as a VST, you can just download the nightly of surge from surge-synthesizer.github.io (it’s free! It will always be free! And even better it is open source!) and grab the patches fro https://www.dropbox.com/sh/krfug4l0u9be8t7/AACRCk5rQmOUi_zq2cxwwj35a?dl=0

but like I said: those patches won’t make the right sound in Surge 1.6.6. So you sort of have to want to live on the edge you know…

have fun!

3 Likes

Hello. First post on lines and on the junto. I had a synchronicity where I spent the morning making percussion samples before I had read this weeks prompt, and so I felt compelled to finally contribute. As a personal constraint I synthesized all of these samples using the TAL noisemaker plugin. They are pretty standard. Bass drum, snare drum, wood block, closed and open hi hat, tom, shakers, and something like a sleigh bell. If there are any issues accessing the files please let me know.

3 Likes

I had been meaning to do this for a loooong time. All samples made with bits of different paper I had around the house. I was surprised that it was so easy to get great kicks and that it was so hard to get usable cymbal sounds. All pretty trashy/glitchy, but I think they turned out pretty well. Hope people enjoy!

3 Likes