Disquiet Junto Project 0436: Planetary Headspace

Disquiet Junto Project 0436: Planetary Headspace
The Assignment: Share a recording of your local environment to create a communal soundscape.

This project is a collaboration with the artist and experimental philosopher Jonathon Keats.

Step 1: Make a field recording, indoors or outdoors. Your recording may be of any length. If you make your recording outdoors, be attentive to sounds of nature that are now more audible due to restrictions on human activity during the pandemic. If you are under strict quarantine and cannot go outside, create your soundscape indoors, capturing the domestic sounds that you consider characteristic of your current circumstances.

Step 2: Upload your recording per the standard Junto instructions below.

Step 3: Download field recordings by other Junto members. Play the downloaded tracks in one ear, leaving your other ear open to hear the sounds in your midst. As you listen to the stereo soundscapes, your hearing will be extended, situating you in acoustic environments that you’ll share with other participants.

Note: This method may also be used beyond the Junto as a means of aurally transcending social distancing in your own community. Simply send your field recording to a friend and ask your friend to reciprocate.

Seven More Important Steps When Your Track Is Done:

Step 1: Include “disquiet0436” (no spaces or quotation marks) in the name of your tracks.

Step 2: If your audio-hosting platform allows for tags, be sure to also include the project tag “disquiet0436” (no spaces or quotation marks). If you’re posting on SoundCloud in particular, this is essential to subsequent location of tracks for the creation of a project playlist.

Step 3: Upload your tracks. It is helpful but not essential that you use SoundCloud to host your tracks.

Step 4: Post your tracks in the following discussion thread at llllllll.co:

https://llllllll.co/t/disquiet-junto-project-0436-planetary-headspace/

Step 5: Annotate your tracks with a brief explanation of your approach and process.

Step 6: If posting on social media, please consider using the hashtag #disquietjunto so fellow participants are more likely to locate your communication.

Step 7: Then listen to and comment on tracks uploaded by your fellow Disquiet Junto participants.

Additional Details:

Deadline: This project’s deadline is Monday, May 11, 2020, at 11:59pm (that is, just before midnight) wherever you are. It was posted on Thursday, May 7, 2020.

Length: The length is up to you. Let nature take its course.

Title/Tag: When posting your tracks, please include “disquiet0436” in the title of the tracks, and where applicable (on SoundCloud, for example) as a tag.

Upload: When participating in this project, be sure to include a description of your process in planning, composing, and recording it. This description is an essential element of the communicative process inherent in the Disquiet Junto. Photos, video, and lists of equipment are always appreciated.

Download: Given the nature of this particular project sequence, it is best to set your track as downloadable and allowing for attributed remixing (i.e., a Creative Commons license permitting non-commercial sharing with attribution, allowing for derivatives).

For context, when posting the track online, please be sure to include this following information:

More on this 436th weekly Disquiet Junto project, Disquiet Junto Project 0436: Planetary Headspace — The Assignment: Share a recording of your local environment to create a communal soundscape — at:

https://disquiet.com/0436/

This project is a collaboration with the artist and experimental philosopher Jonathon Keats.

More on the Disquiet Junto at:

https://disquiet.com/junto/

Subscribe to project announcements here:

http://tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto/

Project discussion takes place on llllllll.co:

https://llllllll.co/t/disquiet-junto-project-0436-planetary-headspace/

There’s also a Disquiet Junto Slack. Send your email address to twitter.com/disquiet for Slack inclusion.

3 Likes

The project is now live. Major thanks to @JonathonKeats for the collaboration.

2 Likes

[When I created this field recording a few days ago, Marc hinted I had a head start on this week’s Junto. It’s perfect for this prompt, so here it is.]

Boulder, Colorado’s monthly emergency warning system test, recorded from my front deck about 2 miles from the city, using a Tascam DR-05 recorder.

The recording starts with a distant, barely audible spoken announcement “This is a warning system test”, overwhelmed by sounds of birds, dog walkers and local automobile traffic. After a short delay, the sirens rise in pitch and seem to play sustained chords for a few minutes. The birds continue chittering, unconcerned by the sirens in the distance. After the sirens drop, the final spoken announcement “This is a warning system test” is repeated a number of times as the test ends. The test lasts nearly five minutes.

15 Likes

Hey All, I stepped outside but the woods are really quiet tonight maybe because of the cold but I am no biologist so I have no explanation for the lack of sounds outside. So this is basically me stepping outside. The sound is reminiscent the light of the moon reflected off the freshly fallen snow. I am so high right now. I am looking forward to hearing the recordings submitted and working with one. Hope all are well.

Peace, Hugh

11 Likes

I love the sounds of the breath, the inhale, the slapping of the pipe, the whispered good night. But even more the title on SoundCloud that says you accidentally sent this to your boss!

4 Likes

I had just the same thought the other day - that the sounds outside my home and studio are quite different these days, than before. I got up early one morning and recorded them… and saved the recording… Apparently for this Junto!

My home is in the heart of Silicon Valley. I live on a major street - one that leads directly from my door to Google HQ, 2mi away. Even in these times, there is still traffic in the morning - but you have no idea how much less! In the recording I can make out at least three species of birds greeting the morning sun.

Make with a Zoom H1, w/o out auto leveling. Then small amount of EQ and compression in Ableton. Mixed louder than you would have heard it - but softer than full scale.

6 Likes

Evening, Morning? I recorded using a TASCAM in a basement with an annoying rolling chair over me, I needed a smoke, great Junto time, I recorded getting the cigarette, walking outside, getting Sour Patch Kids from a bowl, smoking and taking Charlie the Chihuahua to the bathroom. I selected the rolling chair, cause it has been driving me bonkers with multiple office chairs rolling above. I took close mouth samples while chewing slowly. I then took the sample and ran it thru Live with the Push slicing it up in sampler in the section with the rolling boosted, played and looped thru 16 bars. I then layered this with the original recording of a cigarette trip to the front porch and back. The windows in all spaces were open.

6 Likes

I woke up early and saw this weeks brief. The normal sounds of morning, birdsong and occasional traffic, a nearby train, the occasional buzzing of bees in the garden. Talking from a nearby garden. Life is all around us even in a time of lockdown (which is becoming less and less adhered to as the government talks of lifting restrictions here in the UK)

I recorded this using my trusty Zoom H4N with wide angle internal mics. Some eq’ing in Ableton but other than that the recordings are dry

8 Likes

Recorded my walk to Gumyoji Temple on Friday afternoon for the thrice-monthly festival (on the 8th, 18th, 28th since the year 721). Very windy and mystery buzz discovered after (loose connection of Motiv iPhone mic?). Via the Ooka River and covered shopping arcade.

5 Likes

Recorded my walk from Gumyoji Temple over the train tracks to Gumyoji Park. Some windy with occasional aforementioned mystery buzz. Up up up the hill and back down with Heart Sutra chant and drums echoing over the neighborhood.

5 Likes

Recording the sounds outside the top floor window at 7AM on Friday morning with my DR-05X - minimal processing (EQing only). Mainly birdsong, light distant traffic, and some faraway sounds of the rubbish bins being collected.

5 Likes

6 Likes

we live in a third floor apartment, with our windows looking out over a tree-strewn campus. since spring began in budapest, the birds have begun their chorus just before first light, sometime around 4am. with the weather warming up and our windows open, the noise sometimes wakes us up, if only briefly.

I managed to drag my ass out of bed to hit the record button on this. This is just a 10 minute excerpt, but you can hear some bits of human life joining the birds (the rumble of the bus and the twanging tension of the power lines connected to it, cars beginning to pass, the cough of an errant passerby).

this birdsong reaching our ears at a time when we are isolated from the outside carries extra weight. we’ll soon leave this apartment and europe as whole for unknown new places and sounds and I am happy to have a recording of this.

8 Likes

This reminds me of a photographic project I did years ago. I shot a roll of B&W film in Baltimore, underexposing by half a stop. I exchanged the roll with a friend in Dublin, Ireland, who did the same. Of course, there was no way to match the starting points of the rolls so the frames were offset.

A couple of examples of the experiment can be found here:

Cheers -

george

5 Likes

Good morning. The playlist is rolling:

4 Likes

We are fortunate to have a small pond in the woods near our house. At times the frogs have a party - this is a field recording of that event.

4 Likes

From my backyard (I live in the centre of now too!)

birds, the comfort of domesticity and the odd car…

5 Likes

Planetary Headspace is a nice coincidence, because I decided to start a little project last week, which I called “Listening through Windows” and which is about recording the soundscape of the place where I live through the windows of my house.

5 Likes

My recording was made this morning from the balcony of my house in Milpitas California. It was recorded on a Zoom H5 with the mic capsule from my Zoom H6 with a wind shield on it. I recorded almost 3 hours of audio and identified the most interesting section (a dawn chorus). This section ended up being 30 minutes long, so hopefully people enjoy it.

I loaded it into audacity where the recording was normalized at which point I decided the background noise was a little distracting so I made a noise reduced version of it. I cross faded between the version with and without noise to give a flavour of both, I also added a fade in an out.

It was a fun little project though next time I’ll probably go a little further afield. I’m looking forward to listening to what everyone else captured. Thanks for another fun week.

5 Likes

Another prompt right down my alley and a second in a row… been a while since that happened.
I originally recorded this for the “What do you her from your window” project initiated by Gille Malatray as a shirt of sound walk without leaving your home during the Covid19 pandemic - I thought it would be appropriate to include this recording in the Disquiet Junto for this week…

Recorded in my front garden on Wednesday May 6th :2020 at 12 noon - the weather was sunny and pretty windy - I live in a small town in the south part of mainland Denmark…
Every year on the first Wednesday of May - exactly at noon, the air raid sirens are tested all over Denmark. They blow them three times 4 minutes apart - the first two signals tell you to go inside and turn on the news, the final one is the “all clear” signal… the first blast in my recording happens around 5:30 When I was growing up they tested them every Wednesday - I guess the world is safer now?
I reduced the low end a bit to get rid of some of the wind…other than that, the track is unprocessed except for gain setting/normalizing
Recorded with a pair of Lewitt LCT 540 S in NOS and Sound Devices MixPre3 II 32 Bit float.
Enjoy

6 Likes