Disquiet Junto Project 0436: Planetary Headspace

Disquiet0436
Global Headpiece
• Key: All BPM: 124 Time signature: 4/4 DAW: Reaper
• Instruments: n/a
• Plug-ins: n/a
• Made an outside recording from inside my SUV and from inside my hoodie pocket while running errands. Made an inside recording by sitting my handheld recorder down on a table and letting it record what ever was happening in the room.
• Cut and pasted the recordings on to several different tracks in Reaper.

2 Likes

Early morning birdsong, traffic noise, the odd pedestrian and dogs. Recorded with a Sony ICD-AX412 recorder with a wind muffler, on the bonnet (hood) of the car, just outside our front door. Bonus: sound of me walking out with the recorder and retrieving it afterward with Vaderesque breathing (must oil the door hinge, too!).

1 Like

Our restrictions are being slowly loosened in Western Australia, and life is starting to spring back onto the streets. Restrictions still remain though, in terms of movement and social distancing.

Here is Nira the Staffy expressing how frustrating barriers and restrictions are, despite them being necessary for the good of all - in her case, she is upset about not being able to cross the street to chase the neighbour’s cats :slight_smile:

Recorded with binaural microphones, listened best with headphones.

2 Likes

Short segment of a drop-rig recording in my garden. It’s Springtime and the birds and bees are doing their thing!

2 Likes

I have to say I am really enjoying listening to all these field recordings. Birds, traffic, snippets of conversation, sirens, more birds, water, footsteps… They’re the perfect background noise for my work this afternoon. Well done everyone!

3 Likes

The sounds of suburbia from my back porch around dawn. The drone of traffic on the interstate, distant train horn, birds chirping. I grew up on a farm in the middle of nowhere. Still don’t feel 100% comfortable with city sounds, but here I am.

2 Likes

I live at the edge of a swamp. I meant (“meant”) to record the dawn chorus, but I am extremely not a dawn person. So here’s the dusk chorus of frogs instead. It’s raining, otherwise the birds would’ve joined. RØDE NTG2 pair (HPF enabled), Tascam DR100mkIII. But mostly frogs. And rain.

2 Likes

I chose some of the trails behind where I live because they are a meeting of three worlds: close enough to busy roads that we can hear the traffic, wooded enough that we have coyotes and bears lurking, and well-travelled enough that I always across come across a community member going for a walk as well.

Not much else to say - I recorded it on a Zoom H4n. Made it a mono file so that my listener will only have to use one headphone. Did a little bit of EQ’ing and compressing to bring out the birds and lower the “room” tone.

2 Likes

These are the sounds right outside the new home office on a rainy day, and the soundtrack to every zoom meeting that I’m in. Birds, drizzle, light wind, and an occasional car in the distance. Recorded about 8 inches above the ground where it comes up close to roof level (it’s a built-into-hillside house) using an SM57. Minimally eq’d to emphasize the birds and vehicles a bit. The cover image is the recording location.

2 Likes

recording as I grilled [beyond] burgers. despite quarantine, human sound continues to mark the soundscape.

cheap lapel mic straight into an iphone

https://vimeo.com/417439456

2 Likes

My first Disquiet Junto submission, hope I did everything correctly! Recorded outside of our home in Portland, Maine on a zoom h4n. I edited out a few heavy wind blasts, need to remember a windscreen. Also shaved off a bit of top end as I find the h4n unnaturally bright most of the time, and added a tiny bit of limiting.

Recorded happened while I was working and our 6-year-old daughter did some schoolwork in our front yard. It’s been a cold spring in Maine and today felt like the first day the birds have really returned, fighting over nesting spots and staking out territory.

Thanks for listening, I look forward to digging into some of the other tracks tomorrow.

3 Likes

These are awesome! The titles are great too

2 Likes

[quote=“homeontheland, post:35, topic:32115”]
al…
[/quote] I have felt like everything is amplified, but voices are mumbled. The tiniest noises mumble the faint voices further.

2 Likes

I recorded the sounds inside my trailer. I used 5 kinda crummy microphones. I noticed a lot of high pitched noise coming from one of the mics when it got near a usb hub. I included that in the recording. I put one microphone above my faucet (which leaks) I stuck another small mic on my skylight. A microphone went on the headrest behind me facing towards the window. I recorded around 11:30 at night so there was not very much people noise. It started raining towards the end and trains did their horns.

3 Likes

I listened to a number of other posts after recording, but before posting, my own. It’s good to hear the consistent presence of noise (from everything being so quiet) and wildlife. I went back to listen to my own with this in mind and noticed the quality of the noise evolving over the time of the recording, although I didn’t move while making it. Moreso, the rain and wind were likely changing on a time scale I don’t normally notice.

1 Like

Love the undulating chords the sirens create, really nice.

1 Like

I commented on your sc track as well, it’s interesting how similar a few of these outdoor recordings sound despite their geographic separation. Birdsongs, crows, bumblebees, etc., there’s something very comforting about it to me.

2 Likes

Hi. I think the playlist is now full up, but if I left your track out, let me know. Thanks!

3 Likes

Tomorrow’s Disquiet Junto project (May 14) will involve the tracks people made the previous week (in Planetary Headspace). You needn’t have participated last week to do so this week. Thanks, @JonathonKeats, for the collaboration! Instructions go out via tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto. And This Is Important: If you’re so inclined, please set your tracks from Planetary Headspace for download so others can employ them in the project that begins tomorrow.