Disquiet Junto Project 0438: Deep Plan

The center of all is our search for the reason of existence, and language is our tool, and language is breathing. We inhale the world to understand it, and if you can’t breathe, you will stop talking and it will be the end of comprehension …

Does anything I write here make any sense? OK, maybe I was simply in love with the CC0 recording https://freesound.org/people/felix.blume/sounds/117470/ from Felix Blume and wanted to use it (again). Listen to it! It’s really something special :wink:

7 Likes

source material: fieldrecordings. manipulated with a custom algorithmic composition/transformation software.

5 Likes

Granular samples played in Mangl. Sequence from Less concepts. Field recording by myself.
Lo-fi by Less concepts > Sanyo 2 speed dictaphone.

My first Junto, hopefully I got everything right in the soundcloud post :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I thought about this prompt for a while and realized that I was missing my happy place at the center of me due to these weird times. So this recording was a fun effort to center myself in a happy place. Sunny lofi pop music made in Ableton Live 10. Enjoy!

5 Likes

For a while now I had the idea of playing with a shimmer reverb, so I took this assignment as the opportunity to create a single harmony of overtones on a Solina that ran through the reverb, to hide as the central point. Then I added the parts before and after, where it builds towards the ground tone. Added some simple phased bass and some drums that glitch. After listening to it after some time, I also embedded some noise in the mid section because somehow it seemed to pop up in my head every time at that place.

Oh, and the track art is done by taking the spectrum of the midsection and turning it into a vortex with depth of field in Touchdesigner :slight_smile:

7 Likes

I love both the dream scene and the music. For me, the slightly buzzy-metallic distortions are extremely pleasing to listen to.

2 Likes

i like to hide stuff in the murk
i used performance rnn to gradually resolve to clear piano and then blur out again

with paulstretch to the middle and the sliding time stretch in audacity on the way out

i’ve run out of free downloads on bandcamp because (i’m very happy to say) my music’s being archived by the british library

6 Likes

My second effort here. As noted before I’m participating in an effort to work under deadline. Three days may seem a lot for some, but I probably average 2 months to finish a track. Last time I made a track in an hour and I was highly dissatisfied with the result. But it was a good start. I’m a lot happier with this, though I spent several hours over 2 days working on it. To the point where I’m just tired of it. These are the issues I need to work on. :wink:

7 Likes

Thank you! I’m glad it was pleasing to listen to. :slight_smile:

1 Like

https://soundcloud.com/ohm-research/utd-disquiet0438

More on this 438th weekly Disquiet Junto project, Disquiet Junto Project 0438: Deep Plan — The Assignment: Compose a piece of music in which something special is situated at the very center — at:

disquiet.com/0438/

4 Likes

Clever, that u-turn. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Noise track with a surprise instrument at the center.

5 Likes

I take of Clarinet triple tracked with Glitchmachines Hysteresis. 2nd track of Clarinet recorded in the bathroom of B&B I stayed in this weekend. Then thinking about the centre I wrote some words…

5 Likes

I’d been working on some patch ideas unrelated to this week’s Disquiet Junto. This is my attempt to work something out on my modular system inspired by this week’s task using the skeleton of the existing patch.

As all elements of this patch are controlled by a looping random sequence, the main surprise is to myself while recording - in the central part the randomness is uncontrolled and then locked again, meaning that when the melody returns I’ve no idea what form it will take.

3 Likes

The playlist should now be up to date. If your track is missing, let me know.

Free As In Fear: a solemn patch for poignant times.

The entire track revolves around the trance-inducing Moog Subharmonicon sequence. Two other sequences are programmed on two Moog Mother-32 synthesizers. They are advancing irregularly, as decided by the Subharmonicon’s control voltage. That device is definitely the eye of the storm here. The three synthesizers were recorded in one take. Some subtle e-bow and guitar are dubbed over at the end.

D-minor. 72bpm. Soundshaping with the KORG OD-S. Reverb by Raum. A version without any overdubs with inlined patch notes can be found on YouTube.

5 Likes

Hi folks, some sounds of better times with a special person formed the inspiration to participate this week, as well as the great prompt as ever, thanks Mark and all :slight_smile: Made entirely in FLStudio as always.

1 Like

https://soundcloud.com/vonna-wolf/center-drum-disquiet0438 I am still trying to work out rig configuration, so I thought using some MIDI routing might help. This has the ROLAND DJ 808 at center with sequencing and trigger for the AKAI RHYTHM WOLF. Then in Live I ran a side chain of the compressor to the audio of theAKAI. I also used a sample I created on the Roli to slice on the Push. While looping into CH 4 of the Roland DJ 808 with the Audio from the Roli Blocks. I am glad I was able to jump in @homeontheland @bassling Radio does make me feel close and depending on the format it can be very exclusive while being open for all to participate. I used to like the creative Phil Hendrie show that was a little of both.

4 Likes

4 Likes

This is my contribution to the “Deep Plan” challenge, Junto 0438. I was exploring the incredible ARC synth and added something in the middle, which is the surprise, but non-synth. Inspired by Ruby, my Airedale Terrior who in the middle of sleep, awoke, stretched and headed for a drink of water, came back to her spot and resumed whatever dream she was having. She headed to the “river” and then cam back (for her there is no “point of no return”). A piece of music on the other hand, once it has crossed the pivotal central part of its journey, the “Rubicon”, it cannot return.Thanks to Marc for this thoughtful challenge.

4 Likes