Disquiet Junto Project 0446: WWWLDD

Yes, the image for this week is, indeed, an extreme closeup of one of R. Murray Schafer’s ears.

Disquiet Junto Project 0446: WWWLDD
The Assignment: Celebrate World Listening Day for the whole weekend.

Step 1: This weekend it’s World Listening Day, which occurs every year on July 18, which is the birthday of R. Murray Schafer, the composer and acoustic ecologist. This year, the theme for World Listening Day is “The Collective Field,” as proposed by Katherine Krause.

Step 2: Read about this theme, “The Collective Field,” at:

https://worldlisteningday.org/

Step 3: Make a piece of music for World Listening Day, inspired by the theme, or just in the spirit of the occasion.

Seven More Important Steps When Your Track Is Done:

Step 1: Include “disquiet0446” (no spaces or quotation marks) in the name of your tracks.

Step 2: If your audio-hosting platform allows for tags, be sure to also include the project tag “disquiet0446” (no spaces or quotation marks). If you’re posting on SoundCloud in particular, this is essential to subsequent location of tracks for the creation of a project playlist.

Step 3: Upload your tracks. It is helpful but not essential that you use SoundCloud to host your tracks.

Step 4: Post your tracks in the following discussion thread at llllllll.co:

https://llllllll.co/t/disquiet-junto-project-0446-wwwldd/

Step 5: Annotate your tracks with a brief explanation of your approach and process.

Step 6: If posting on social media, please consider using the hashtag #disquietjunto so fellow participants are more likely to locate your communication.

Step 7: Then listen to and comment on tracks uploaded by your fellow Disquiet Junto participants.

Additional Details:

Deadline: This project’s deadline is Monday, July 20, 2020, at 11:59pm (that is, just before midnight) wherever you are. It was posted on Thursday, July 16, 2020.

Length: The length is up to you.

Title/Tag: When posting your tracks, please include “disquiet0446” in the title of the tracks, and where applicable (on SoundCloud, for example) as a tag.

Upload: When participating in this project, be sure to include a description of your process in planning, composing, and recording it. This description is an essential element of the communicative process inherent in the Disquiet Junto. Photos, video, and lists of equipment are always appreciated.

Download: It is always best to set your track as downloadable and allowing for attributed remixing (i.e., a Creative Commons license permitting non-commercial sharing with attribution, allowing for derivatives).

For context, when posting the track online, please be sure to include this following information:

More on this 446th weekly Disquiet Junto project, Disquiet Junto Project 0446: WWWLDD — The Assignment: Celebrate World Listening Day for the whole weekend — at:

https://disquiet.com/0446/

More on World Listening Day at:

https://worldlisteningday.org/

More on the Disquiet Junto at:

https://disquiet.com/junto/

Subscribe to project announcements here:

https://tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto/

Project discussion takes place on llllllll.co:

https://llllllll.co/t/disquiet-junto-project-0446-wwwldd/

There’s also a Disquiet Junto Slack. Send your email address to twitter.com/disquiet for Slack inclusion.

Image detail via the Wikipedia page for R. Murray Schafer:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R._Murray_Schafer

2 Likes

The project is now rolling.

2 Likes

Using loops of clips I recorded of a generator, a stairwell in high heels, a Rhodes and a trash can from the same building on an empty day. I mixed these with 808 programing on the Roland DJ 808 and with ROLI, Akai Rhythm Wolf, MIDI Fighter, KORG SV1and Push2 in live.

9 Likes

https://soundcloud.com/user-507251108/good-ear-disquiet0446

3 Likes

I performed multiple stratocaster guitars, electric bass and synths.

This is a new version, re recording of a recent naviarhaiku track:
Daniel-diaz – The-milky-way-sea

I really liked that one and wanted to give it a proper treatment for a release, but ended up re recording it and have two half baked tracks now. Will eventuality choose one and remix+release.
For those on a real “listening mood” this week end, I appreciate your take on both tracks and which one should I keep (if any)…
Cheers
DD July 17th 2020

11 Likes

The playlist is now rolling:

2 Likes

Hey All, I was unfamiliar with R. Murray Schafer. I listened to the clip below and thought the vocal shaping went well with the theme of the Collective Field. I layered some vocal takes over the string synths. Hope all are well.

Peace, Hugh

7 Likes

I took the theme of The Collective Field literally and wanted to interact with the magnetic field generated by a speaker. I used an old tape head connected to a diy build Magnetophon and rigged up the tape head to swing like a pendulum across a loundspeaker. I ran the output through my modular, triggering resonators, loopers and messing around with the playback speed.

6 Likes

‘The Collective Field invites you to express your recent journey through what was, what is, and what will be, evoked only by wandering into new territory.’

A piece of music that tries to capture a sense of growing fear and threat from recent times that transforms into a confused hope.

Sounds created with Monome Norns and the Haven, Benjolis and Lissadron scripts.

4 Likes

As part of World Listening Day I became silent to make a piece by lying down and meditating whilst listening to my breath with a microphone and headphones. Enter the field by connecting to my heart first, listen, feel, sense the collective field and let any sound be added to my breathing. Record what happens and make a piece of sound art with the raw material channeled.

4 Likes

The audio is a field recording on W 26th St near 5th Ave in New York City.
The video was captured on a lake near Greene, NY.

5 Likes

random freesound samples through protoplasm, ddly and hornet chorus

4 Likes

Sounds recorded on my smartphone whilst on vacation or ambling about town. Rather than imposing the heavy hand of compositional interpretation on these moments in time, I wanted to let them be, in of themselves, the point of the piece. Yet, not content to leave well enough alone, I did include a thematic sounds of walking and wind chimes to connect each of the other sounds.

4 Likes

Dysharmonia is a neurological condition in which someone loses the ability to hear musical instruments playing in unison. In extreme cases of congenital amusia, a patient is unable to differentiate between environmental sounds and musical voices. Oliver Sacks devotes an entire chapter to this topic in his excellent book Musicophilia.

Our participation in “the collective field” must require some degree of integration with one’s auditory environment. There are internal sounds as well; our capacity to listen might be compromised by the bitter noise within. In these turbulent times, we may find it impossible to be still while the world rages around us.

For this week’s Disquiet Junto, Suss Müsik sought to recreate a vibroacoustic timbre through disparate field recordings. You might hear birds chirping, water gurgling, the clicking of a clock, the faint calling of a faraway train. They may blend nicely for you, or they may be a hodgepodge of various tones and drones.

The piece is titled Dysharmonia and was recorded live to 8-track after a bit of prep.

7 Likes

For the second time this year, we’re in lock down in Melbourne. My kids are home, I sit at the dinning room table with my older child helping him with remote learning, whilst fending off his little sibling who wants constant attention. In the very short periods when they’re both occupied and quiet, I put on my headphones, open Logic Pro and tinker. I don’t have any gear at home, except for a tiny little portable CME keyboard, so I’ve been experimenting with samples and pitch manipulation tools, Zynaptic Pitchmap, ZPlane Remap, Waves SoundShifter and Logics Flex Pitch tools. This track popped out over breakfast on Saturday during a lull. Manipulated guitar strums, simple bass, simple beat, flute solo using Passion Flute from Orangetree Samples, fake fuzz guitar and vocals from a dance vocal sample library, slowed down 40%, tuned, re-pitched and re-timed to suit.

5 Likes

Corrected version. A kind of meditation built with an Apple loop, a preset from Native Instruments Mysteria library, and Hauptwerk virtual organ.

3 Likes

Starting point was the sentence ‘The Collective Field invites you to express your recent journey through what was, what is, and what will be, evoked only by wandering into new territory.’ on worldlisteningday.org

“Into The Fields” may be seen, like many music, as a journey into the collective fields of a world, that merely exists in our minds.

4 Likes

One of the only certain things these days is that I take my kids for a walk every day at 12:30 in the local park. Here is a sound collage from that walk taken on July 18th. Despite over 120 such walks over these last few months, I was taken while recording, and again as I cut it together, by all the surprises lurking inside this daily ritual. (tools: recorded with a zoom H1n, edited in audacity, played back through a bastl thyme for extra temporal instability.)

3 Likes

About a month ago I was invited to contribute to an exhibition by the Murrumbidgee Field Naturalists at the Leeton Museum & Gallery.

I offered this soundtrack to be looped in the background and accompany the many photographs their members have taken of the natural Riverina environment.

It’s composed from around a decade of field recordings, which have been layered to provide a rich sense of the landscape.

Seems an appropriate recording to share for World Listening Day.

4 Likes

Stay silent until you know.
…we’re listening to the future.

Well… For this one, I recorded people at flea market today, then live sampling using Octatrack with my own voice and some household sounds.

3 Likes