Disquiet Junto Project 0448: Seamless Bridge

Do you know, I never thought of doing that! … I guess I was just keen to engage with what others had done. There’s so much cool stuff in there - and we’re only halfway through! :))

3 Likes

thanks to everyone who’s used my tracks and of course thanks neil @AudioObscura

i’d already done some remixes that i was planning to put on a mix, so i popped them on this page and did some more tracks too

i found some tracks i liked where the key and bpm matched
https://20x20project.bandcamp.com/track/auto-3 by @halF_unusuaL and https://20x20project.bandcamp.com/track/heptakaideca by @RupertL

i converted to midi and ran through magenta interpolate

in live8 i used iris2, hornet chorus and supermassive

10 Likes

Wow what a great project 20/20! A pleasure to be inspired. Selected 2 pieces, Daniel first, then had an idea for beats and reversal, Mrs Dink, had exactly the right stuff. in the flow. Thank you all!

6 Likes

I’m so sad that I’m missing this one, I was so looking forward for this junto to happen, unfortunately I’m on the road these days.
Really looking forward to listen to your submissions guys, cheers
dd

5 Likes

I used 2 d10s to select albums, and then two d20s to select the track. I rolled 2,3 and 2,16 which meant both tracks came from Sevenism’s 777minus1. Wait was an undulating piano arpeggio slowing to a sustained chord and “What We Do Instead” which was a cluster of delayed plucks. The tracks were fed through Spacecraft on the iPad and crossfaded with the originals bookending the track.

8 Likes

Thanks. At the end of the drum module section linking to Ruperts track (last section) my last sound was made by using a looper pedal effect (reverse) which made a nice match for some of the sound in the last section. I didn’t even think of taking snippets of the two sources to better effect for a bridge, which some folks have. One great thing about the Junto is hearing about others process and learning from it. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

https://soundcloud.com/ohm-research/perc-disquiet0448-wsevenism-and-simon-mccorry

A bridge from Sevenism’s “777minus1 - Swift flight - dive _ multiply - open up the sky” to Simon McCorry’s “20 Transmissions From The 20th Century - Part 11”

Yes, I still have Morgan Fisher’s “Miniatures” LP from 1980, and the Residents “Commercial Album” LP released the same year. These projects are always fun. This particular project was really fun.

5 Likes

Hi @tay_ploops - we chose Burds! And not because you asked :slight_smile:
(I only saw your note as I was preparing this post…)

Judith improvised her viola part by extending the motif in Simon McCorry’s Part 2. My guitar noodles were recorded to tape poorly, and then glitched manually and digitally to drift (lurch?) seam-filledly into the beautiful bird-endowed lofi universe of Tay_ploop’s Burds.

7 Likes

For this piece I took track ‘Graphical 6 - semi 4-3’ by haLF unusuaL as the 1st track. The piece is by no means least bookended with track ‘Part 16’ by Simon McCorry from 20 Transmissions From The 20th Century. I have placed a recent (untreated) Contact mic recording made from the building I live in. It has a musical string like utterance near its end – I have placed this as the joining track as it negotiates ‘to my ears’ the two sound worlds of processed like sounds from haLF unusuaL and the string instrument work from Simon McCorry.

Looking forward to listening to the submissions.

Kind regards,

Andrew

8 Likes

I used Guy Birkin - Processed Field Recordings -04 Sneinton - Rain and Fourier Resynthesis 1 and
05 - Snienton - Rain and Fourier Resynthesis 2

I used my own field recording of rain and manipulated with Morphagene to match pitch. I used Telharmonic for the drone, trying to match the nice deep note in the original recording. Added a sub with dixie II+ and Rings for melody.

7 Likes

The random number generator gave me a though nut to crack. According to the generator it would be a good idea to connect @halF_unusuaL 's semI autO biO graphicaL - 17 Graphical 6 - semi 4-3 with Minimal_Drone-GRL’s Vision - 02 Vintage. Okay, I did it.

9 Likes

Disquiet0448
Seamless Bridge or Smooth Link
• Key: C Major BPM: 120 Time signature: 4/4 DAW: Reaper
• Instruments:
• Plug-ins: Alterego
• Randomly chose album 8 track 3 and album 10 track 20
• Tay_ploops - Dish of Orcas - 03 Tete-a-tete
• haLF unusuaL - semI autO biO graphicaL - 20 Graphical 9
• Added a 20 second along section inbetween the two chosen tracks

7 Likes

Nice and seamless also blends in nice

3 Likes

My first time at contributing to the Junto. I chose music from 777minus1: opening with “Hotel stairwell whistle” and closing with “Swift flight - dive _ multiply - open up the sky.” Between these two, my track was created from a field recording I made on Impalila Island in Namibia after the safari trekkers had left for the day, leaving me to record pristine audio without background tourist chatter. I used Ableton to create a MIDI file from the bird calls on a separate track, enhancing the rhythmic placement by hand. The MIDI file played a ghostly flute-like instrument created with NI’s Prism . The audio file was altered with a watery NI Molekular Vocoder.

8 Likes

After listening to quite a few of the tracks, I chose one with a quiet opening and another with a pulsating sound for the ending. For the middle section I took some reversed part of the first and added synth and Solina strings, slightly tweaked, to it. Added a fade to more distorted, flangy version of the Solina part, added some drums.

6 Likes

I’m enjoying all these submissions - so many different and creative ways to accomplish the same task! What if we were put in charge of the Google Maps route-finding algorithm??

5 Likes

This is my first post on the discussion at Disquiet Junto.

A bridge between Sevenism - 777minus1 - 06 Fake choir hidden
https://20x20project.bandcamp.com/track/fake-choir-hidden
and haLF unusuaL - semI autO biO graphicaL - 04 Semi 4
https://20x20project.bandcamp.com/track/semi-4
The material of the bridge comes entirely from the 2 original sources.
Editing with Audacity.
Thanks to Sevenism & haLF unusuaL & all
Gerard

9 Likes

I picked two pieces that were in related keys:

I used Mixed In Key to find the keys. Then I simply used F minor chords that transitioned to A-flat major chords. “Spectral” is rather atonal, while “015” is quite tonal and warm-sounding. I wanted my bridge to sound like George Martin’s orchestral swell that connects “Revolution 9” and “Goodnight”.

My approach was quite simple. Part of that was because of a lack of time. I think a simple approach worked here, though.

7 Likes

For this “bridge” prompt I began with the last track on the oldest 20x20 release (semI autO biO graphicaL by haLF unusuaL), followed by my bridge, and closed with the first track on the newest 20x20 release (20 Transmissions From The 20th Century by Simon McCorry). I chose these pieces without first listening to them.

I used the Plumbutter to create my bridge with as it’s the instrument I’m currently working with the most, but I also felt that the “urban > suburban” topology lent itself well to the two bookended pieces.

8 Likes

I used one of my tracks from Processed Field Recordings - ‘Dovedale & Razor 1’, together with ‘Nine’ by Mrs Dink from Twenty. To make the bridge between them, I used some of the same synth (Razor) and field recordings that were used in my track and added some drums modelled on those in Mrs Dink’s track.

6 Likes