Disquiet Junto Project 0455: Inner Invertebrate

Disquiet Junto Project 0455: Inner Invertebrate
The Assignment: What does a moment (or a day) in the life of a jellyfish sound like to a jellyfish?

There is just one step:

Step 1: Compose a piece of sound/music that summons up what a moment, or an instance, or a day in the life of a jellyfish is like to the jellyfish.

Seven More Important Steps When Your Track Is Done:

Step 1: Include “disquiet0455” (no spaces or quotation marks) in the name of your tracks.

Step 2: If your audio-hosting platform allows for tags, be sure to also include the project tag “disquiet0455” (no spaces or quotation marks). If you’re posting on SoundCloud in particular, this is essential to subsequent location of tracks for the creation of a project playlist.

Step 3: Upload your tracks. It is helpful but not essential that you use SoundCloud to host your tracks.

Step 4: Post your tracks in the following discussion thread at llllllll.co:

https://llllllll.co/t/disquiet-junto-project-0455-inner-invertebrate/

Step 5: Annotate your tracks with a brief explanation of your approach and process.

Step 6: If posting on social media, please consider using the hashtag #disquietjunto so fellow participants are more likely to locate your communication.

Step 7: Then listen to and comment on tracks uploaded by your fellow Disquiet Junto participants.

Additional Details:

Deadline: This project’s deadline is Monday, September 21, 2020, at 11:59pm (that is, just before midnight) wherever you are. It was posted on Thursday, September 17, 2020.

Length: The length is up to you. Consult your inner invertebrate.

Title/Tag: When posting your tracks, please include “disquiet0455” in the title of the tracks, and where applicable (on SoundCloud, for example) as a tag.

Upload: When participating in this project, be sure to include a description of your process in planning, composing, and recording it. This description is an essential element of the communicative process inherent in the Disquiet Junto. Photos, video, and lists of equipment are always appreciated.

Download: It is always best to set your track as downloadable and allowing for attributed remixing (i.e., a Creative Commons license permitting non-commercial sharing with attribution, allowing for derivatives).

For context, when posting the track online, please be sure to include this following information:

More on this 455th weekly Disquiet Junto project, Inner Invertebrate (The Assignment: What does a moment (or a day) in the life of a jellyfish sound like to a jellyfish?), at:

https://disquiet.com/0455/

More on the Disquiet Junto at:

https://disquiet.com/junto/

Subscribe to project announcements here:

https://tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto/

Project discussion takes place on llllllll.co:

https://llllllll.co/t/disquiet-junto-project-0455-inner-invertebrate/

There’s also a Disquiet Junto Slack. Send your email address to twitter.com/disquiet for Slack inclusion.

Image associated with this project drawn from Flickr.com (by James Broad) and used thanks to a Creative Commons license allowing for non-commercial adaptation (cropped, text added):

https://flic.kr/p/78CSpF

https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/2.0/

3 Likes

The project is now live.

1 Like

jellyfish_disquiet0455.mp3

Process: The ocean is immense. Jellyfish are electric and long lived. The tracks had different cycles of repetition, with one (guitar) being unique. The drone is the current. It’s mating season?

@disquiet , I added it to Souncloud, if that makes things easier.

9 Likes

Reading up a bit about Jellyfish for this week’s challenge, I discovered they “see” through sensors on their tenticles, I decided that the “picture” this would make would probably be subject to all sorts of “interference” so I created a patch on the modular using the Qubit Chord and Nebulae as sound sources, which then run through the Prism filter. I used the Random Source DUSG to modulate both the Filter cutoff and the amount of bitcrushing/downsampling on the Prism - which was placed before the filter. The mix was sent through the Ping pong echo on the Endorphins Milky Way and then through the Vallhalla Supermassive reverb. This is just the Jellyfish swimming along near the ocean floor, it’s tenticles occaisionally brushing against the sand or coral - thereby distorting the sound picture.

17 Likes

Live in the studio improvisation:
daniel diaz: electric bass guitar
andré charlier: drums

I hate to be lazy and use something I was working on instead of something new sparked by the actual challenge, but sometimes time is our tyrant and I was fascinated by this forgotten masters, some live-in-the-studio improvisations with awesome French drummer André Charlier that I discovered some days ago.
Captured while we were warming up for a recording session years ago. This was on tape but never used nor listened to, and I’ve been taking some nice bits out of it for further use. These are all ad-lib, abstract and weird soundscapes, no groovy bass 'n drums at all.
This is an abstract, floating groove-less and creepy track.

And I think it fits the challenge perfectly cause, o be honest:

-Invertebrate folks listen to beat-less music, I’m pretty sure.
-Jelly fish are creepy little beings.

Photo by Daria Polishchuk

16 Likes

2 drum loops pitched and slowed down
2 instances of zebra cm, arpeggiated
rising reverb and supermassive

empathizing: semi-oceanic, pulse outward drift, feel flow feel light dark, see everything, sting flicker sting motion.

8 Likes

The playlist is now rolling:

3 Likes

“A Day in the Life” of a jellyfish.
My attempt at synthesized underwater sounds with a lot of processing in the DAW.

9 Likes

I don’t know why, but I can’t help to think that a moment in the live of a jellyfish would sound to the jellyfish like a Buchla under water.

9 Likes

In the spirit of a creature with no brain, I tried to not overthink this one. I improvised on the Wave Evolve Pad preset on the Ableton Wavetable synth, randomized the filter cutoff with an LFO, ran it through the Planetarium preset on the Valhalla Supermassive reverb plug-in, added some pitched-down and reverbed bubbling sourced from freesound.org, and voila.

8 Likes

First post, first SoundCloud upload in years – hi. I’m trying to learn some new gear and get back into the swing of actually finishing tracks, but I’ve also been thinking about jellyfish a lot lately (really), so this was a no-brainer.

String patch (and the ear-piercing resonant nonsense) is Matrixbrute in paraphonic mode. “Lead” synth sound is Peak with a sample & hold LFO doing all the work.

The most watery water sounds are random percussive noises mangled by Fracture Space (there’s a real wave sound in there somewhere, but It’s far less audible). The “pulsing” (swimming jellyfish?) is electrical noise shaped by Digitakt and there’s an envelope follower on that moving a few other parameters in time with it. There’s an orchestral sample towards the end that just felt right.

Most of the above is stretched, pitched, or otherwise heavily processed in Live.

I don’t know when the clipping happened, but I’m not going back in to fix it.

Thanks for listening!

7 Likes

This is a previously recorded outtake from something else I was working on. I went looking for the underwater sample used here and realized I wasn’t going to do any better than this track I’d already used it on.

There are two kalimba loops with a cheap melodica on top. I like to think the brainless jellies might enjoy some mellow melodica music from time to time. The sample is from a Christian Petzold film – Transit, I believe it was. If you’ve ever tried to record sounds like these with a hydrophone, you will know they’re not so easy to achieve. Hats off to the foley guy!

9 Likes

This piece includes some soundscapes, voltages and mangled samples of strings and bells - all put together to create something, that for me, seems “underwatery” and blubbery…

9 Likes

Hi! This is our second participation in Disquiet Junto, this track is made only with field recordings.

Cheers!

Zuunzug

9 Likes

A day in the life of a Jellyfish.
The low drone represents a threat to the jellyfish which it manages to avoid and then resumes it’s journey when the threat has gone.

DIY Opera Rotas mutant drum machine as rhythmic propulsion.
Field recording made underwater with JRF hydrophone.
Sounds from Roli block.

Hope everyone is ok.

8 Likes

A day in the life.

Rings>Clouds 1st voice
Surface>Qpas>Mimeophon 2nd voice
Telharmonic>Ripples Swells
Sequence by Marbles (Latched)
Modulation by PNW

8 Likes

Thanks! It isn’t required to participate, but it is for the playlist.

2 Likes

Hey, As the great Karl Pilkington once said "Jellyfish,who needs 'em. They are 98% water … give them another 2 % and make them water.
I first thought of a jellyfish sting so I went with a kinda Jaws theme. The way they move reminded me if a helicopter so I grabbed that and some other sounds from freesound. I used a stun sound pitched way down for the sting with lots of reverb cause the sing persists for quite a while. I recently added a pretty sizable subwoofer to my set up so this is really bassy. I do not know how it sounds in headphones and such. Hope all are well. Cheers to RBG but damn she should have retired when she was 80 frigging years old. Oh Well. I hope all are well.

Peace, Hugh

10 Likes

Nice prompt - I have imagined this quite a few times, and it is nice, run to put sound to it:

I used a MinilogueXD with Tim Shoebridge’s new Korg DW8000 homage user occilator, into AUM on the ipad and though FAC Chorus and Kymatica’s Space reverb. If you’ve updated to ios14 you can load any IAA effect and your icons will begin to reappear!

8 Likes

On Friday I tried to engage my son in a conversation about how to approach the Junto this week. “You’re overthinking it,” he replied. “Jellyfish don’t have brains.”

As we continued our bike ride, he did venture that vapourwave or Japanese-style electronica from last decade might sound good.

That conversation gave me a couple of ideas, but I don’t think either ended up sounding much like his idea, although I did incorporate an '80s track via a MIDI version.

Footage from Archive.org

8 Likes