Disquiet Junto Project 0457: System Alert

Disquiet Junto Project 0457: System Alert
The Assignment: Compose sounds for an OS.

Step 1: There’s an operating system called Haiku. It’s open source. Learn more at haiku-os.org.

Step 2: The OS is currently running a contest for System Sounds. Read the details at the subpage on haiku-os.org.

Step 3: The due date for our Junto project is this Monday, October 5, though the due date for the actual contest is November 25th. Regardless, please read through the instructions and create sounds accordingly. In terms of posting the sounds as part of this Junto project, please create a single track with each sound in sequence.

Thanks to Erik Schoster for suggesting this project.

Seven More Important Steps When Your Track Is Done:

Step 1: Include “disquiet0457” (no spaces or quotation marks) in the name of your tracks.

Step 2: If your audio-hosting platform allows for tags, be sure to also include the project tag “disquiet0457” (no spaces or quotation marks). If you’re posting on SoundCloud in particular, this is essential to subsequent location of tracks for the creation of a project playlist.

Step 3: Upload your tracks. It is helpful but not essential that you use SoundCloud to host your tracks.

Step 4: Post your tracks in the following discussion thread at llllllll.co:

https://llllllll.co/t/disquiet-junto-project-0457-system-alert/

Step 5: Annotate your tracks with a brief explanation of your approach and process.

Step 6: If posting on social media, please consider using the hashtag #disquietjunto so fellow participants are more likely to locate your communication.

Step 7: Then listen to and comment on tracks uploaded by your fellow Disquiet Junto participants.

Additional Details:

Deadline: This project’s deadline is the end of the day Monday, October 5, 2020, at 11:59pm (that is, just before midnight) wherever you are. It was posted on Thursday, October 1, 2020.

Length: The length is up to you. Alerts tend to be brief.

Title/Tag: When posting your tracks, please include “disquiet0457” in the title of the tracks, and where applicable (on SoundCloud, for example) as a tag.

Upload: When participating in this project, be sure to include a description of your process in planning, composing, and recording it. This description is an essential element of the communicative process inherent in the Disquiet Junto. Photos, video, and lists of equipment are always appreciated.

Download: It is always best to set your track as downloadable and allowing for attributed remixing (i.e., a Creative Commons license permitting non-commercial sharing with attribution, allowing for derivatives).

For context, when posting the track online, please be sure to include this following information:

More on this 457th weekly Disquiet Junto project, System Alert (The Assignment: Compose sounds for an OS), at:

https://disquiet.com/0457/

Thanks to Erik Schoster for suggesting this project.

More on the Disquiet Junto at:

https://disquiet.com/junto/

Subscribe to project announcements here:

https://tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto/

Project discussion takes place on llllllll.co:

https://llllllll.co/t/disquiet-junto-project-0457-system-alert/

There’s also a Disquiet Junto Slack. Send your email address to twitter.com/disquiet for Slack inclusion.

Image associated with this project is by Stanley Zimny and used via Flickr thanks to a Creative Commons license allowing editing (cropped with text added) for non-commercial purposes:

https://flic.kr/p/hMAXaC

https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/2.0/

3 Likes

The Haiku project has been notified that the Junto’s doing alerts on this thread on their forum: https://discuss.haiku-os.org/t/contest-for-system-sounds-haiku-project/10001/21

2 Likes

Woot (20 characters)

And the project is now live. Had to make dinner first. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I love this idea! I am slightly confused, though - is the intent for each contributor to make a full cohesive suite (theme?) of the enumerated system sounds, or is the idea to contribute one sound each with the expectation that someone downstream will curate the submissions? If the former, should the contributor then submit each sound (track) separately, perhaps indicating their intended role, or should the submission be a single track consisting of all the sounds in sequence?

Forgive me if the answers are obvious to someone who’s participated in a Junto before, as I haven’t :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi. The intention is for each individual to do the full set. If that’s a tall order, certainly just do as many as you’re comfortable with.

2 Likes

While I am no expert on these matters either, here is my current plan:
1 draft a number of sounds.
2 figure out which ones make a cohesive soundset
3 upload them all, played in sequence, in a single file to Soundcloud for the Junto
4 zip the individual sounds together to send for the actual contest, probably without disquiet0457 in the titles
5 take a deep breath and know that there isn’t a wrong way to do this

2 Likes

Wow, cool project!

I kept it simple. The only conceptual thing really going on is that Haiku derives from BeOS… and I did the sounds pretty much in B major. Uh…I hope I got the idea right.

6 Likes

Here’s my set.
I used samples of my Hang (hand pan)

Sound Systems for the HAIKU OS.

For junto0457 challenge.

Created in Paris using samples of my Hang (hand pan) on Friday Oct 2nd at 10AM, Paris France.

There’s an operating system called Haiku. It’s open source. The OS is currently running a contest for System Sounds.

Specifically sounds for:

General:

Beep
A nice and soothing startup chime

Notifications:

Information notification
Important notification
Error notification
Progress notification (= the percentage of the progress bar gets updated)

Key/mouse events:

Key up
Key repeat
Key down
Keymap switch
Mouse down
Mouse up

Window events:

Window activated
Window close
Window minimised
Window open
Window restored (= gets ‘unminimised’)
Window zoomed (= when ‘zoom’ button (right widget in tab) is clicked)

I ended the set with the soothing welcome chime sound.

9 Likes
9 Likes

What an intriguing prompt! This is my first contribution to the disquiet junto, it is very simple and all from samples from freesound.org (attribution included in soundcloud post). I imagined system sounds for an OS that cultivates the peace, serenity, and contemplation I find in haikus, which led me to thoughts of space travel and the idea of an OS that helps humanity to work together toward the collective effort of space travel for purposes of exploration and discovery in the absence of conquest, competition, and ego.

5 Likes

The playlist is now rolling:

1 Like

Hello!

Thank you everyone very much for your work, it’s really appreciated. We are adding the entries to the contest post.

Cheers!

3 Likes

Thank you, @bitigchi. Best of luck with the project.

1 Like

@kvn

This sounds like I’d expect an OS. That opening chime is lovely.

@DeDe

Those bends are wild. Did you process the sounds?

@nikikana

Surprising sounds! I liked the variety of associations I made while hearing them.

3 Likes

Finished my set. Not perfect but it’s something.

note - the sounds aren’t strictly in order of the list, because the list is alphabetical and splits up some natural pairs.

I tried to follow some of the Material guidelines for UI sounds while designing the key and mouse sounds

I titled the soundset “Forest Dreams” because the synth chords from Surge feel rather dreamy to me, and every sound incorporated some sort of wooden percussion instrument from my collection.

the chords in question are various utonal chords created through Scala’s “List of Chord Names” dialog. They are mostly built on prime harmonics but generally approximate chords we are used to hearing in 12edo.

I hope to work on a couple more concepts for this contest before the deadline - I learned a lot designing these and I feel that I can make an even better set in the future.

4 Likes

@bassling
thanks Jason, I sampled the instrument and then I played it on a keyboard and used the pitch wheel for the bends.
The actual hang just has a single scale and limited range so this time I used the chromatic possibilities of the samples (for the clusters and the very high notes, etc)

Loved your original approach, wish they pick yours for the OS, wouldn’t it be great to have a bass as system sound?
cheers

2 Likes

Cheers!

At first I thought the bass wouldn’t translate, then I realised that’d be non-intrusive.

The sounds of some operating systems can make me jump at times.

2 Likes

Hey All, Sorry I am late posting this. It is what it is. Hope all are well.

Peace, Hugh

3 Likes

Hey Marc, Great project idea. I am flabbergasted there aren’t more entries. Maybe they are holed away searching for the perfect 1 second sound.
I may have posted this before but damn it never ceases to make me smile.

1 Like