Disquiet Junto Project 0468: Mirror Rorrim

Disquiet Junto Project 0468: Mirror Rorrim
The Assignment: Create a new persona for yourself, and record a duet together.

Step 1: Make up a new musician, someone other than yourself. Give them a name, as well as creative traits different from how you perceive your own, perhaps even in stark contrast with your own.

Step 2: Record a duet together, you and the person you invented in Step 1.

Step 3: If you would like, when posting the track include some description of your collaborator, and about your working relationship.

Seven More Important Steps When Your Track Is Done:

Step 1: Include “disquiet0468” (no spaces or quotation marks) in the name of your tracks.

Step 2: If your audio-hosting platform allows for tags, be sure to also include the project tag “disquiet0468” (no spaces or quotation marks). If you’re posting on SoundCloud in particular, this is essential to subsequent location of tracks for the creation of a project playlist.

Step 3: Upload your tracks. It is helpful but not essential that you use SoundCloud to host your tracks.

Step 4: Post your tracks in the following discussion thread at llllllll.co:

https://llllllll.co/t/disquiet-junto-project-0468-mirror-rorrim/

Step 5: Annotate your tracks with a brief explanation of your approach and process.

Step 6: If posting on social media, please consider using the hashtag #disquietjunto so fellow participants are more likely to locate your communication.

Step 7: Then listen to and comment on tracks uploaded by your fellow Disquiet Junto participants.

Additional Details:

Deadline: This project’s deadline is the end of the day Monday, December 21, 2020, at 11:59pm (that is, just before midnight) wherever you are. It was posted on Thursday, December 17, 2020.

Length: The length is up to you. Maybe you have learned something about time this year.

Title/Tag: When posting your tracks, please include “disquiet0468” in the title of the tracks, and where applicable (on SoundCloud, for example) as a tag.

Upload: When participating in this project, be sure to include a description of your process in planning, composing, and recording it. This description is an essential element of the communicative process inherent in the Disquiet Junto. Photos, video, and lists of equipment are always appreciated.

Download: It is always best to set your track as downloadable and allowing for attributed remixing (i.e., a Creative Commons license permitting non-commercial sharing with attribution, allowing for derivatives).

For context, when posting the track online, please be sure to include this following information:

More on this 468th weekly Disquiet Junto project, Mirror Rorrim (The Assignment: Create a new persona for yourself, and record a duet together), at:

https://disquiet.com/0468/

More on the Disquiet Junto at:

https://disquiet.com/junto/

Subscribe to project announcements here:

https://tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto/

Project discussion takes place on llllllll.co:

https://llllllll.co/t/disquiet-junto-project-0468-mirror-rorrim/

There’s also a Disquiet Junto Slack. Send your email address to twitter.com/disquiet for Slack inclusion.

Image associated with this project is by Timothy Takemoto, and used thanks to Flickr and a Creative Commons license allowing editing (cropped with text added) for non-commercial purposes:

https://flic.kr/p/36f8r

https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/2.0/

2 Likes

The project is now live. The first of the three final 2020 Junto projects. Thanks, everyone.

5 Likes

The new artist is Northsir. It’s my last name, backwards, and somewhat spell-checked.

Northsir sits in his car “vocal booth” with an Android phone, bluetooth to the car’s speakers, the Voloco app, and cranks out delayed Super Vocoder sounds.

Then Northsir takes those bits and hands them over to Mark Rushton who processes them into a not-Chopped but somewhat-Skewed track with multiple slow beats, reverse sub-bass, a sample of my disquiet0427 contribution “Noise Replacement”, and a processed sample of Phil Kuhlenbeck’s “Bitch You Off The Hook” - the backing track of which I made originally. Mix about 16 tracks together in an hour, and here you go.

9 Likes

The new artist is THE_THE. A play on my recording moniker, which has a few meanings–this is one of them.

THE_THE brought some harsher noise to the track and the insistence of multi-tracking. All of my previous Junto submissions were single-take single tracks–this one is three tracks. It was fun to do. There is still the lulling, multi-voice “tide” I love, but it’s buried and new to a LA_EL track is clicks/percussion, which I liked quite a bit. Fun prompt!

5 Likes

The other Artist’s name is ‘Sunshine’ and only wants to make bright uplifting music. I guess this is maybe what happens when Sunshine and myself work on the same track. Includes sounds from modular, microfreak and vst’s. Thanks Marc for another great Junto :slight_smile:

Edit: Had to remix some parts due to overly harsh bits and rogue resonances (Mr. Sunshine) :wink:

8 Likes

I’ve taken the opportunity to get an acid-style remix of my track from Disquiet 360 by DJ Getafix.

8 Likes

I think we are complex and have multiple persona. To reflect this I play (on modular) a simple sequence. I took a picture of this sequence (the sequencer) and mirrored it for melody part two. I make a bass part from random picked tones of the sequence. From the sentence “Create a new persona for yourself” I let a program select 5 random words. The female got “persona a persona a new” and the male got “a yourself Create yourself Create”. (readspeaker.com) As percussion/noise I attached a contact mic on a toy (se picture) and wiggled. Sequences was recorded to separate loops on Roland SP-404SX. Even for the title I used my little program. I like the title.

8 Likes

13 Likes

Marco (aka. Empolitron) and I have been trying to collaborate for years, and we’ve just never had the time, but since his drastic, mid-pandemic move to Berlin a couple of months ago, we’ve been talking more regularly. A few days ago I sent some ideas I’d recorded on my Arturia Microbrute over to him, and today he sent this track back.

I asked what he wanted to do with it and he said it kind of fits in with the new Disquiet project, so to post it on SoundCloud and see if it gets picked up anywhere.

12 Likes

I am not in the habit of using beats in my work but an alter ego has come up with a rhythm track & I have contributed a drone sequence.

6 Likes

This assignment made me thinking about my digital self that I create by being active in “the net”. My first idea was to do a duet with my younger digital self - from back in the times when I did not actively take part. Net communities were different, often violent and hostile. Now offline and online worlds go together more and more. I wanted to focus on something that relates to me in the offline world. Here is the result:

The track is based on a recording by my cousin Matthias. I used Reason Studio to add guitar (using my Tele clone), some software instruments and a lot of reverb :wink: .

We agreed to have a phone call tomorrow which is great!

11 Likes

Hey All,
I first met Chad Renfroe when his band “ Spandex Feng Shui” played at my sister’s wedding. They were a tight band specializing in pop hits from the 80’s so I was immediately smitten. He was the lead singer as well as an incredible sax soloist. I was DJing during their breaks and when I put on a drum’n’bass track he picked up the sax and joined me. I recorded us from the mixer. My redneck cousins started moshing and because all of the heavy drinking that had been going down a melee started between them and my brother in law’s college rugby team. We had to stop playing because chairs and champagne bottles were flying. The fighting spilled out into the parking lot and the police were called and eventually 5 ambulances had to be called to take the more critically wounded to the hospital.Chad suffered minor injuries and had to wear an eye patch for several weeks.I broke 3 knuckles on my crossfader hand effectively ruining my DJ career. My sister still blames me for all the lawsuits but man what a magical 1 minute and 10 seconds Chad and I shared together.

Peace and Season’s Greetings, Hugh

10 Likes

I would listen to a breakcore/free jazz sax album. Could be like a more upbeat version of the Lost Highway soundtrack. Fun story as well.

4 Likes

This is the first time i’m collaborating with Luc Cage, we’ve had a few previous attempts but the results were less than satisfactory, we finally found a nice blend of my preference for drone ambient textures, with Luc’s studies in Musique Concrète.

7 Likes

Loved the prompt immediately. I had an idea from the start: my analogue self (guitar, trumpet, bass, saxophone) and my electronic self. But then I ended up not liking any of the tracks I recorded, nothing matched well with the electronic parts. Finally decided to keep some of the guitar. Nevertheless, I had quite a bit of trouble bringing it all together. Still not really there I feel, but I let it out here anyway, perhaps I come back to it at a later moment.

7 Likes

Hi all,
Here’s my twosome:

7 Likes

I have chosen a real person for my doppelganger, Tsukenichi Suzuki, composer of the theme to Midnight Diner, which I am appreciating yet again:

7 Likes

I love that show. What a treat to see it mentioned here. The manga is pretty great, too.

A duet with a piano-playing alter ego (I can’t play piano).

I recorded a track from my Christmas present to myself, the Moog Werkstatt-01, passed through my modular. I then used the track to create a piano score and accompanied the original with piano and strings, provided by Arturia Piano V2, Newfangled Audio’s Generate and Sonivox’s Orchestral Companion. The original Werkstatt piece was also passed through Glitchmachines’ Fracture.

10 Likes

i… uh… :see_no_evil: may have gone a little overboard here(got a little excited coming up with a max patch that sounds like boards)…

i realize the instructions were to make up an ‘imaginary’ collaborator, but this one is real :scream: Max/MSP has been yelling at me for years to create a ‘Boards Of Canada’ soundalike band. I kept telling Max it’s totally unnecessary, no one’s ever going to sound as good as Boards at being Boards. Max insists, with my OCD, and Max’s abundance of free time, we can at least put out as much music that sounds like Boards as Autechre does that sounds like Autechre( :thinking: …doesn’t sound quite right now that i read that back… ah well, i never question Max :man_shrugging:)
so me and Max put together this entire 5-song EP over the weekend(i may have playlist-bombed here… hope it’s not bad disquietiquette :speak_no_evil:)

5 Likes