Disquiet Junto Project 0471: Phase Transition

Disquiet Junto Project 0471: Phase Transition
The Assignment: Record the sound of ice in a glass and make something with it.

Welcome to a new year of Disquiet Junto communal music projects. This week’s project is as follows. It’s the same project we’ve begun each year with since the very first Junto project, way back in January 2012. The project is, per tradition, just this one step:

Step 1: Please record the sound of an ice cube rattling in a glass, and make something of it.

Background: Longtime participants in, and observers of, the Disquiet Junto series will recognize this single-sentence assignment — “Please record the sound of an ice cube rattling in a glass, and make something of it” — as the very first Disquiet Junto project, the same one that launched the series back on the first Thursday of January 2012. Revisiting it at the start of each year since has provided a fitting way to begin the new year. By now, it qualifies as a tradition. A weekly project series can come to overemphasize novelty, and it’s helpful to revisit old projects as much as it is to engage with new ones. Also, by its very nature, the Disquiet Junto suggests itself as a fast pace: a four-day production window, a regular if not weekly habit. It can be beneficial to step back and see things from a longer perspective.

Seven More Important Steps When Your Track Is Done:

Step 1: Include “disquiet0471” (no spaces or quotation marks) in the name of your tracks.

Step 2: If your audio-hosting platform allows for tags, be sure to also include the project tag “disquiet0471” (no spaces or quotation marks). If you’re posting on SoundCloud in particular, this is essential to subsequent location of tracks for the creation of a project playlist.

Step 3: Upload your tracks. It is helpful but not essential that you use SoundCloud to host your tracks.

Step 4: Post your tracks in the following discussion thread at llllllll.co:

https://llllllll.co/t/disquiet-junto-project-0471-phase-transition/

Step 5: Annotate your tracks with a brief explanation of your approach and process.

Step 6: If posting on social media, please consider using the hashtag #disquietjunto so fellow participants are more likely to locate your communication.

Step 7: Then listen to and comment on tracks uploaded by your fellow Disquiet Junto participants.

Additional Details:

Deadline: This project’s deadline is the end of the day Monday, January 11, 2021, at 11:59pm (that is, just before midnight) wherever you are. It was posted on Thursday, January 7, 2020.

Length: The length is up to you. Did your ice melt quickly, or slowly?

Title/Tag: When posting your tracks, please include “disquiet0471” in the title of the tracks, and where applicable (on SoundCloud, for example) as a tag.

Upload: When participating in this project, be sure to include a description of your process in planning, composing, and recording it. This description is an essential element of the communicative process inherent in the Disquiet Junto. Photos, video, and lists of equipment are always appreciated.

Download: It is always best to set your track as downloadable and allowing for attributed remixing (i.e., a Creative Commons license permitting non-commercial sharing with attribution, allowing for derivatives).

For context, when posting the track online, please be sure to include this following information:

More on this 471st weekly Disquiet Junto project — Phase Transition / The Assignment: Record the sound of ice in a glass and make something with it — at:

https://disquiet.com/0471/

More on the Disquiet Junto at:

https://disquiet.com/junto/

Subscribe to project announcements here:

https://tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto/

Project discussion takes place on llllllll.co:

https://llllllll.co/t/disquiet-junto-project-0471-phase-transition/

There’s also a Disquiet Junto Slack. Send your email address to twitter.com/disquiet for Slack inclusion.

Image associated with this project is by Caroline, and used thanks to Flickr and a Creative Commons license allowing editing (cropped with text added) for non-commercial purposes:

https://flic.kr/p/HQLpR

https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/2.0/

11 Likes

The project is now live. Thanks, everyone.

“Boxes” is my tenth yearly Disquiet Junto recording of ice in a glass and making something of it.

This year, I used some ice from my driveway in a small glass. The rattling was recorded by my old Zoom H2, run through my new Empress Echosystem on some setting, and then sent over to my Empress Reverb for further processing, and out to my Tascam DR-05.

I was rattling it in one hand and “live tweaking” settings with the other. I don’t know what selections I was using on either box for this recording. I made quite a few short variations, but I liked this one the most as it starts out super muted and ends with a recognizable sound.

The Empress boxes are outstanding. I’ve had the Reverb for a little over two years and can’t imagine making sounds without it. I’ll never sell it. I got the Echosystem recently, and the two together are something else.

9 Likes

This is my first Disquiet Junto submission. Really needed something to distract myself from current events.

I have an old lead crystal glass that I inherited ages ago and lead crystal “rings” more than glass so I used a single cube and and my trusty Audio-Technica 3035 to record it.

From there I made a groove in Ableton Live 10 Suite using Simplers and warping. Nothing too extreme.

The result - and downloadable original file - is now on my website here.

15 Likes

This must be the ninth time I’ve made something for the Junto’s annual ice project.

In recent years I’ve been using recordings made with my out-laws’ glasses.

Listening back over previous tracks, I decided to use only ice samples.

Again the thump of fallen ice cubes provides transients to repitch for kick and snare percussion.

This year I’ve found a short loop of a chime to create a bassline and a melody also.

Spent some of a week playing with the samples since Christmas.

Gave myself a few extra days as I’d anticipating getting sick of the sound of them.

Used a lot of de-essing and transient shaping.

11 Likes

Welcome to the Junto!

If anyone needs ice cube samples (and the video file is fun to use with Ableton Live):

5 Likes

Impressive vid. The icy/reese low part is sweet.

2 Likes

Got out the glasses, ice and water this morning and made this:

Took the recording into Ableton Live - and realized it was in 9/4 and went with it. Other than the piano and the percussion section, all the other sounds are from the ice recording.

(Oh yeah: It’s great to be back! I missed you all…)

16 Likes

Thanks! It was good being able to see how you’d put your track together. I should do that with my Live project file.

@mzero That’s cool!

3 Likes

This made my early evening, and retroactively the day.

2 Likes

I had no ice cubes so I had to make some :slight_smile: It was nice and quiet downstairs in the ‘usual’ late at night, make music time. Recording the glass sliding across the worktop with the ice in as an intro. Then recorded swirling it in the glass moving it closer and swirling and further away.

These recordings were made with my newly DIY’ed EM272 clippy microphone with XLR connector and phantom power electronics.

Recordings were then looped, granulated and processed in the box.
The percussive loop has some noise of it’s own which I like but the ice in glass recordings with the new mic have virtually no noise at all. Thanks Marc for a great Traditional Junto and I hope you are all well :slight_smile:

10 Likes

I’ve spent the last few weeks diving into vcvrack and this project fit in nicely with something I played around with earlier in the week. Sampled a couple of ice cubes clinking in a glass as my starting point. My patch in vcvrack was centered around NYSTHI Simpliciter and the idea of messing around with the sample. I recorded over the sample several times, pitching it up and down and changing speeds. I then tried using the resulting waveform to drive some other sounds. I found the wave so busy it was only really good for making noisey drones which there are a couple of in the background. Added a bunch of reverb and delay to the ice cube sample. Recorded a pass into Audacity and timestretched. Recorded a second pass and left as is. Ended up making a very cold and empty sounding bit of music, which seems pretty appropriate for where I am and where the world is at the moment.

7 Likes

It’s been a few months since my last participation so I thought I’d do this one fairly early to be sure it didn’t get forgotten. My idea here was to try and keep the samples as intact as possible and use them as rhythm and texture but not melody or harmony. The more interesting aspect is procedural.

The process of taking the samples was slightly different this year. Specifically I attached two contact mics to the base lower part of the glass (at either side) and placed the XY mic (my zoom h6) above. I took a one minute sample of me dropping ice into the glass, or rather one sample with 45 seconds of dropping ice and 15 seconds of stiring ice with my fingers. I had planned to do some more refined combination of the two recordings, but it turned out the volume was much greater for the acoustic mic with little ice in the glass and much louder with the contact mic with more (and even more when stirred). I therefore just layered them rather than doing any filtering, enveloping and the like.

I cut the sample onto individual “events” and arranged then by timbre. These ended up as 3 timbre groups which went to 3 stereo pairs in my mixer. They were panned out and some automation was added to keep things moving. I did some EQ on the mixer and added some delay and reverb. I recorded the result through my normal mastering chain then put it on the computer to tidy it up (some fade in and some parallel compression). I also wanted a little more ambience so I used Paul stretch (and some filtering) to create a sort of background ambiance (more computer work that I usually do).

Hardware wise it was my MPC, Zoom H6, Boss 500 pedals, then my RNC compressor, EQ and limiter. Nothing particularly noteworthy and all things I had last new year. Overall I quite like the result: nothing too out there, but I feel like it retained the character of the ice nicely.

8 Likes

I used ice recordings from freesound.org (sorry) for background noise and percussions.
freesound.org/people/Fabrizio84/sounds/457590/
/microdac/sounds/417999/
/knasterask/sounds/81965/
/airblock/sounds/407803/
/Anthousai/sounds/406071/
/ecfike/sounds/177224/
/makemebad/sounds/95741/
And i used text2speech.org/

What she says
I want something to drink.
Something cold.
Pouring soda on ice.
Very nice.
Thank you, darling.

7 Likes

Welcome! Massive sound. :headphones:

2 Likes

Hello Everyone, Glad to join the junto for the first time. I used 2 wav. files from freesound and did some unwarped pitching trying to create a nice low end. Then making many tracks with those and using knobs to play in the stereo field. I wanted to create a swirling fx as the different pitches move around. Hope everyone is just peachy and happy 2021.

Namaste, ughh

6 Likes

Appreciated! :smiley:

1 Like

Hello, here is my contribution:

Process: First I was amazed that the first Disquiet Junto project should be already 9 years ago! :open_mouth: feels like, maybe 3 years.

I still got the recordings of the very first ice cube in a glass project in a folder, however I decided to record new samples, employing stereo microphones and a contact microphone. For the glass I used a large pharmacy flask. This leads to different source recordings but also I decided to use the ice-glass recordings only, created an interesting rhythmic loop and decorated it with stretched and otherwise manipulated sample snippets from the recordings. enjoy & happy new year!

9 Likes

Very excited, first time taking part in Disquiet Junto:

First I recorded a ice cube in a wine glass, swirling and shaking it. Transfered it to a sample player in the Disting. I had a Bastl Thyme on a send, I looped it and mangled it quite a bit. On another send I sent it through a Monsoon, where I processed it again and pitched it down. I also played with the pitch of the orginal sample in the Disting occasionally.
Then I added 2 none ice parts: the Generate 3 running through the Bastl Waver, creating a pulsing fluctuating bass part. And a little bell pattern from the Plonk.

Always intrigued by Disquiet Junto, but hope to participate more now.

9 Likes

Love the start with the different glasses, plus a great video!

3 Likes