Placebo Effect
• Key: Eb minor BPM: 120 Time signature: 4/4 DAW: Reaper
• Instruments: Reaktor 6
• Plug-ins:
• Used a random number generator to pick track #3
• downloaded track # 3 by: noimspartacus - Orphaned Loop
• Added my track panned hard right created with Reaktor 6

4 Likes

My wife has been intrigued by the Junto (I’ve been encouraging her to participate although she’s never recorded anything) and she chose Gregory Bowler’s track for me to add to. I added some rhythm and noise in Ableton using the Aalto synth and panned things more to the center. Hoping to maybe get to another track before Monday night!

8 Likes

Very nice work. I love using those kind of real life sounds, like the birds in lots of my pieces too. I was hoping someone would add something like this to the piece. The atmospheric synth is really nice too.

3 Likes

My first plan was to add cello. But I had no nice cello in my daw. So a cello like synth sound and one more athmospheric. I wanted it to remain a piano piece.

2 Likes

Hi. I made a small error in the instructions. In the material to be included when a track is posted online, the correct sentence now reads:

More on this 473rd weekly Disquiet Junto project — Placebo Effect (2 of 3) / The Assignment: Record the second third of a trio that others will complete — at:

I had it initially incorrect as “Placebo Effect (1 of 3)” — sorry about that.

And, yes, the Jam Time and Placebo Effect projects were both named after bands that were trios. If you have suggestions for the third week’s trio name, lemme know. Right now it’s gonna be either the Police, Rush, or the Roches (single word names work best in this context).

3 Likes

“…and Morphine to Nirvana!”

1 Like

Sounds sweet man! That snare, is it a pipe or a katanna sword? :smiley:

2 Likes

+1 Morphine

Love that band!

3 Likes

Me, too. So much. I miss that guy’s presence in music. I got to see them once at a very small club, really the back room of a club, in San Francisco.

1 Like

This disquiet junto 0473 [part 2 of 3] track, “The Wolf’s Baleen,” was inspired by the disquiet junto 0472 [part 1 of 3] recording by Chris Ludwidge [@chrisledwidge ] called “No. 34 in Am” [ Chrisledwidge – No-34-in-am-disquiet0472 ].

“I was so overwhelmed by the work by composer, Chris Ludwidge, and his disquiet junto 0472 piece, “No. 34 in Am,” that I promptly downloaded it and got to work for this week’s Disquiet Junto assignment, 'Placebo Effect.”

I had but three hours to compose my piece, “The Wolf’s Baleen,” and knew I would have to fly into it. What struck me about the floating fragments of Chris’ piece was how much it reminded me of some of Brian Eno’s piano fragments and treatments on “Ambient #1: Music for Airports”; thus, I set out instinctively to complement Chris’ tinklings on the piano: I first learned his piano figures, mimicked them, and based emphatic stylings upon certain notes (namely the B-flat note), adding treatments, such as a rhythmic delay and erratic reverberation changes.

I would write more, but my time has run out at the studio.

Thanks, Chris!"

~ Michael

The Wolf’s Baleen

9 Likes

Whoa! You took my bare skeleton and turned it into a journey! Love what you’ve added… and really hope someone decides to add a third to it.

4 Likes

So cool.

Feel like I made the right choice to record my two-string bass this week.

2 Likes

For my track I halF unusuaL’s track

especially because I liked this strange groove and it reminded me a litte bit of the piece I did for disquiet0472. I added a guitar track played on my Godin archtop quite heavily processed, especially running through the audio input of my Hikaru Monos synth which generated some quasi-random noises. The output was amped and recorded via microphone, which led to some unplanned - but warmly welcomed - leakage of the acoustic guitar sound. It was mixed in Ableton Live with some additional delay added to the track.

9 Likes

I started with @abalone’s ticking clock and snapping fingers, and added some mechanical and organic textures at repeating intervals to make a sci-fi sounding track. The clock makes it suspenseful. Lots of sounds going on but there should be space to add some musical elements.

10 Likes

thanks, fantastic work

2 Likes

I went for quite minimal additions to the piece composed by @Peter
I really liked the sound of the string samples and the rhythm of the percussion underneath. For some reason I wanted to try adding an electronic sound to it. I used Orca to sequence a very simple random melody sticking with the notes of just D and A as in the first part.

optimized

This was fed into a minilogue xd. I’ve exclusively used Orca with soft synths until this point and I was finding it difficult to have control of tweaking both simultaneously.
So I wanted to focus instead on a simple sequence I can leave alone and modulating the synth myself live while recording.

I added some very minimal effects to my track & panned it right

8 Likes

I took Icy-rhythm from @zoundsabar and did this thang. It was an attempt at trumpet through modular, but I must have had some levels wrong, because you can’t really hear the trumpet and I don’t have time to re-record it. Oh well. Live and learn. Final musician should use the stereo track from the original piece IMHO.

I took Recording93 from @k-blamo and added a trumpet-thru-modular track. Final participant will probably want to do some mixing, and perhaps eq the final tracks a bit.

2 Likes

I used @ryanscottmattingly (Ryan Scott Mattingly’s) “The Sand Gets Everywhere”
Sand calls for surf! I played some guitar, a definite one off joke, but I had to try.

3 Likes

The playlist has been updated. If a track of yours is missing, lemme know. I generally do the update once a day, in the morning, California time:

2 Likes