Disquiet Junto Project 0481: Capsule Time

Each Thursday in the Disquiet Junto group, a new compositional challenge is set before the group’s members, who then have just over four days to upload a track in response to the assignment. Membership in the Junto is open: just join and participate. (A SoundCloud account is helpful but not required.) There’s no pressure to do every project. It’s weekly so that you know it’s there, every Thursday through Monday, when you have the time.

Deadline: This project’s deadline is the end of the day Monday, March 22, 2021, at 11:59pm (that is, just before midnight) wherever you are. It was posted on Thursday, March 18, 2021.

These are the instructions that went out to the group’s email list (at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto):

Disquiet Junto Project 0481: Capsule Time

The Assignment: Record a time capsule for yourself in the future.

Step 1: You’re going to record a time capsule, something for yourself to listen to in the future. The default time is five years. You can, however, set the time for however long (or short) you like.

Step 2: Record that track and post it online.

Step 3: Set a calendar entry to remind yourself to listen to it on the appointed date.

Seven More Important Steps When Your Track Is Done:

Step 1: Include “disquiet0481” (no spaces or quotation marks) in the name of your tracks.

Step 2: If your audio-hosting platform allows for tags, be sure to also include the project tag “disquiet0481” (no spaces or quotation marks). If you’re posting on SoundCloud in particular, this is essential to subsequent location of tracks for the creation of a project playlist.

Step 3: Upload your tracks. It is helpful but not essential that you use SoundCloud to host your tracks.

Step 4: Post your tracks in the following discussion thread at llllllll.co:

https://llllllll.co/t/disquiet-junto-project-0481-capsule-time/

Step 5: Annotate your tracks with a brief explanation of your approach and process.

Step 6: If posting on social media, please consider using the hashtag #disquietjunto so fellow participants are more likely to locate your communication.

Step 7: Then listen to and comment on tracks uploaded by your fellow Disquiet Junto participants.

Additional Details:

Deadline: This project’s deadline is the end of the day Monday, March 22, 2021, at 11:59pm (that is, just before midnight) wherever you are. It was posted on Thursday, March 18, 2021.

Length: The length is up to you. The length should be shorter than time between the beginning of the track and when you intend yourself to listen to it in the future, or else you may rupture the very fabric of the universe.

Title/Tag: When posting your tracks, please include “disquiet0481” in the title of the tracks, and where applicable (on SoundCloud, for example) as a tag.

Upload: When participating in this project, be sure to include a description of your process in planning, composing, and recording it. This description is an essential element of the communicative process inherent in the Disquiet Junto. Photos, video, and lists of equipment are always appreciated.

Download: It is always best to set your track as downloadable and allowing for attributed remixing (i.e., a Creative Commons license permitting non-commercial sharing with attribution, allowing for derivatives).

For context, when posting the track online, please be sure to include this following information:

More on this 481st weekly Disquiet Junto project – Capsule Time (The Assignment: Record a time capsule for yourself in the future) – at:

https://disquiet.com/0481/

More on the Disquiet Junto at:

https://disquiet.com/junto/

Subscribe to project announcements here:

https://tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto/

Project discussion takes place on llllllll.co:

https://llllllll.co/t/disquiet-junto-project-0480-ongsay-aftcray/42680

There’s also a Disquiet Junto Slack. Send your email address to twitter.com/disquiet for Slack inclusion.

Image associated with this project is by Christoph Kummer, and used thanks to Flickr and a Creative Commons license allowing editing (cropped with text added) for non-commercial purposes:

https://flic.kr/p/T4Uvw

https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/2.0/

3 Likes

I’ve been re-reading poetry I wrote last year and in late 2019, which recently lead me to think about recording myself reading a few pieces aloud.

This piece is called ‘Reflection’ and discusses that process of recognising and resolving shadow aspects of the self. Click here to see the video and hear my piece of poetry and warbling synth.

I’m conscious that time shifts perspectives and I hope the things that seem overwhelming now will feel ridiculous and small in the future.

However, I’m also aware that often it’s re-reading old poetry that feels ridiculous.

Hopefully I’ll be gentle on myself.

In some ways this feels like a companion piece for the moon video I made with my partner last year.

9 Likes

The project is now live. (Email went out at noon California, but I had to get back to work.)

1 Like

a few days ago, walking upstairs with a fresh cup of coffee, I had a premonition–what if I’m the ghost of myself wandering my house? I pondered it and heard a voice: “Sometime’s you’re the ghost.” And I thought “And that’s OK.” I’m not really sure what I meant–that it’s ok that someday I’ll be gone, or that maybe I’m a ghost now visiting my corporeal self from the future, or that my reality is not what I think it is, maybe the past and future and present coexist. But all those things are OK. (If this is what being a ghost is like, it’s not so bad.)

coded in ChucK, here’s the code:

9 Likes

Track made with the following sounds (freesound.org):
2 sounds made by me 5 years ago (268177 and 343317).
1 sound made by iut_Paris8 5 years ago (346595).
2 sounds made yesterday (564006 and 564005).
If possible I will listen to this track in 5 years.
Will Freesound excist in 5 years or SoundCloud, Youtube…
Hmmm, I think I upload the track to Dropbox. Folder /2026.
I have made a note in my calender.

9 Likes

I had the following chat last night with a chess friend of mine:

Nick sent Yesterday at 5:46 PM

chromatic harmony is relevant to chess

Nick sent Yesterday at 5:46 PM

secondary chord functions I mean

You sent Yesterday at 5:46 PM

I know barre chords on guitar. That doesn’t really count.

Nick sent Yesterday at 5:51 PM

so in C major world

foreach of the black keys

each of them just so happen to be the leading tone of a closely related key to C major

by closely related, I mean these keys exist within +/- 1 accidental of the key signature in C major

so

for chess

this is how oppenings are relationally based

within +1/-1 one move of another

in chess its called “Transposition”

but in music that is called “Tonicization”

C# is leading tone of d minor, D# is for e minor

etcetera etcetera

that accounts for ALL of the black keys in C major

You sent Yesterday at 5:51 PM

Let me try that on the piano.

its called secondary dominant chords

You sent Yesterday at 5:51 PM

I was trying that on the piano. It sounded cool.

4 Likes

Yesterday they announced a new lock down here in Paris, one year after the first one.
Again.
Really feels like a “Ground-hog Year”…
This are weird, game changing times but one day we’ll get over and move forward and all this will fade in the mist of (past) time.
But many things happened and changed for me and I keep making plans about my future.
I wish the 2026 version of me can keep thinking about the past 12 month’s reflections, decisions, inspirations, restrictions, and do something with it.

For some reason this past year, the music I recorded became a lot shorter and concise, don’ know why.
I wish I remember to pursue that simple, straight forward attitude in the future.

As a message to the 2026 me, I recorded this short thing using past and present ideas:
-A robotic synth bass line coming straight from the past (I used to love this sound and mood in the 80’s, sort of Miles circa Decoy)
-A frantic acoustic piano line using arpeggiator, something I never did before.

So this is short, outdated and modern, anxiety inducing, angry and stressful, but with some moving energy.
I hope I remember this.

11 Likes

This was one that I started several years ago, but I finished last night. The project seemed like an appropriate time to let it go as/is. It was intended for the Orphan Work record I made; the inspiration was reading accounts of anthracite miners. Unfortunately, I couldn’t get it together in a way that made sense with the rest of the songs I was working on. There’s some midi mellotron, violin, guitar and I manipulated cassettes. . .

8 Likes

5 years ago, as an electric guitar player whose musical existence relied on other people, I was looking desperately for a “new way” of working with music and sound. I bought a Mother32 and began making music that was very much like this week’s track. This new track was recorded live straight off my current eurorack setup into a Zoom H5.

Looking forward 5 years, I’m excited to listen to this because it is the kind of music I enjoy making but have a love/hate relationship with listening to (love as long as there is plenty of time between making and listening, dislike if I listen to it too recently to its creation). The next 5 years for me should be quite different from the last 5 so this moment marks the beginning of a very new/different 5-year plan, so to speak, and should be interesting catching this calendar event in 2026.

7 Likes

slow movement slow development
i wonder what i’ll think of this in 5 years
i wonder what my music will be like
i wonder who i’ll be

this is a long one coz it needed to fit into an album of 77 minute long tracks

iris 2,
cello and viola samples becoming more prominent throughout
supermassive

6 Likes

Hi ! I think I am new, so probably my first Disquiet Junto track and participation

A short algorithmic/experimental piece for sample manipulations of various kinds (written in ChucK) + ‘Do not go gentle into that good night’ poem read and ‘converted’ (soundfile orchestrated) for flute, viola and harp.

9 Likes

The playlist is rolling:

3 Likes

I’ve been working more directly on the computer recently, trying to avoid hardware for the moment as it leads to too much noodling and too little composing. So I’ve been working in Ableton and trying a sample based approach. I had this track knocking around I didn’t really know what to do with it so this project was a good way to give it a purpose and a deadline.

I will go with the default time of 5 years

7 Likes

Made in the box due to some challenging days recently with Novation circuit on midi control > Slate & Ash cycles. Hopefully in 5 years I can still enjoy it :slight_smile:

8 Likes

An attempt to write something in polyrhymic 5/4 time with two sets of (virtual) drums’ AI following the (virtual) vibraphones.

4 Likes

Love the textures here! The layering of samples is really compelling. By the way I am a big fan of ChucK too, if you’re interested I can share my GitHub. Cheers, charlie

1 Like

I had this track (the tonal components) lying around, a track, that ultimately went nowhere – and proved once again, that a new piece of hardware alone adds nothing to your music … although these two layers of Behringer 2600, sequenced by it’s S&H unit and a René module from the modular setup, did have something I somehow liked. I considered that this track alone might be enough in its melancholic under-complexity, but then I had the idea of adding some heavily moralistic text to admonish me in the future to learn from the dubious benefits of the G.A.S.

The strange grammar is due to me not speaking english as a mother tongue. The sometimes strange pronounciation (I think I sometimes sound like Schwarzenegger) came because I had a very disturbing latency between speaking and hearing, but hearing was essential to accompany the music (somehow). Bottom line: At the end I liked the whole weirdness and I hope you will like it, too.

5 Likes

Hey All,
Ok Time Capsule.
Open keys plug in for something “Just the way you Areish” Damnit my keyboard controller keeps making that plug in little plucky sound, I can’t get it to sustain. So I will hear this and remember yeah damn my controller was messing up but I think it works great here. I then added more drums. I then added guitar. I don’t know if I will still be using it but I will definitely remember loving the Electric Sunburst in Kontakt.
Now it is arena rock. I then added an annoying little riff on a synth. Came up with :Your Mind is a Time Capsule for lyrics.How the Night Came had wanted me to sing like Barry White last week so I wanted to sing. Finished the first take. Came back the a day later and made the guitar more U2ish. Tried to make the annoying riff less annoying. It ended up being a wall of reverb sound.
I think the lyrics are pretty ambiguous. I know I don’t trust the narrator. When someone starts talking about heart, mind, body and soul I am very wary. It kinda comes down to if it is whole or hole in the the lyrics. Who knows maybe in 5 years if I meditate daily I could achieve such mental awareness.
I also think this time capsule should reflect this last year. I am a pretty solitary guy but I am still missing a connection to others that I took for granted before. I hope when things return to normal I appreciate what it means to feel connected. The death of my mother this year really put death into focus for me. This thing called life is going to end. That is one thing I am sure about.

Peace, Hugh
Hey Marc, The link this week goes to last weeks junto. Hope you are well.

7 Likes

This project didn’t exactly take the direction I thought it would, but I think I am happy with the result anyway. I love the sarabande from the 2nd Bach Cello Suite. So I wanted to record that, but with the new computer setup, I didn’t have my settings in Ableton right so I got this kind of mess with echo. I worked with it, and used an all too familiar chord pattern (Cold Song from Purcell’s King Arthur) with some hiss and drone effects and here we are. This spring holds lots of promise, but I am still pensive and apprehensive. This also with the time capsule theme this weeks allows me to mark a start to my disquiet junto uploads and see how much I progress in 5 years.

6 Likes

There are these moments in your life when you discover something new that captivates you. Like a strange instrument you run into, then later buy, play and forget about for a while. I took some of those instruments (an Omnichord, an old Casio keyboard, a simple drum machine and a wonky bass synth) that I acquired years ago. With these I created a track, for a time in the future, with technology from now: the latest Ableton and some careful reverb slightly sidechained with the drumtrack.

5 Likes