Disquiet Junto Project 0483: Type Set

Please note there’s an error in the emailed instructions. The track length is entirely up to you.

Each Thursday in the Disquiet Junto group, a new compositional challenge is set before the group’s members, who then have just over four days to upload a track in response to the assignment. Membership in the Junto is open: just join and participate. (A SoundCloud account is helpful but not required.) There’s no pressure to do every project. It’s weekly so that you know it’s there, every Thursday through Monday, when you have the time.

Deadline: This project’s deadline is the end of the day Monday, April 5, 2021, at 11:59pm (that is, just before midnight) wherever you are. It was posted on Thursday, April 1, 2021.

These are the instructions that went out to the group’s email list (at tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto):

Disquiet Junto Project 0483: Type Set

The Assignment: Use a recording of yourself typing something as the underlying rhythmic track for a piece of music.

Step 1: You’re going to use a recording of yourself typing something as the underlying rhythmic track for a piece of music.

Step 2: Give some thought as to what you’re going to type. You might re-type something that already exists. You might type freeform, just associating ideas. You might type randomly. Arguably, the best thing to do is to think of something you want to write about, and then type that: Typing something you’re writing in your head will lead to momentary pauses where you consider things, and that will be infused into the cadence.

Step 3: Record yourself typing the text you decided upon in Step 2.

Step 4: Use the unedited recording from Step 3 as the rhythmic and underlying percussive element of a piece of original music. It’s preferable that you retain the recognizable sound of the typing.

Seven More Important Steps When Your Track Is Done:

Step 1: Include “disquiet0483” (no spaces or quotation marks) in the name of your tracks.

Step 2: If your audio-hosting platform allows for tags, be sure to also include the project tag “disquiet0483” (no spaces or quotation marks). If you’re posting on SoundCloud in particular, this is essential to subsequent location of tracks for the creation of a project playlist.

Step 3: Upload your tracks. It is helpful but not essential that you use SoundCloud to host your tracks.

Step 4: Post your tracks in the following discussion thread at llllllll.co:

https://llllllll.co/t/disquiet-junto-project-0483-type-set/

Step 5: Annotate your tracks with a brief explanation of your approach and process.

Step 6: If posting on social media, please consider using the hashtag #disquietjunto so fellow participants are more likely to locate your communication.

Step 7: Then listen to and comment on tracks uploaded by your fellow Disquiet Junto participants.

Additional Details:

Deadline: This project’s deadline is the end of the day Monday, April 5, 2021, at 11:59pm (that is, just before midnight) wherever you are. It was posted on Thursday, April 1, 2021.

Length: The length of your finished track will be as long as the story you choose to tell.

Title/Tag: When posting your tracks, please include “disquiet0483” in the title of the tracks, and where applicable (on SoundCloud, for example) as a tag.

Upload: When participating in this project, be sure to include a description of your process in planning, composing, and recording it. This description is an essential element of the communicative process inherent in the Disquiet Junto. Photos, video, and lists of equipment are always appreciated.

Download: It is always best to set your track as downloadable and allowing for attributed remixing (i.e., a Creative Commons license permitting non-commercial sharing with attribution, allowing for derivatives).

For context, when posting the track online, please be sure to include this following information:

More on this 483rd weekly Disquiet Junto project – Type Set (The Assignment: Use a recording of yourself typing something as the underlying rhythmic track for a piece of music) – at:

https://disquiet.com/0483/

More on the Disquiet Junto at:

https://disquiet.com/junto/

Subscribe to project announcements here:

https://tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto/

Project discussion takes place on llllllll.co:

https://llllllll.co/t/disquiet-junto-project-0483-type-set/

There’s also a Disquiet Junto Slack. Send your email address to twitter.com/disquiet for Slack inclusion.

Image associated with this project is by Chris, and used thanks to Flickr and a Creative Commons license allowing editing (cropped with text added) for non-commercial purposes:

https://flic.kr/p/cEXJJ

https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/2.0/

5 Likes

The project is now live.

This is me improvising on an Olivetti Valentine portable typewriter (belonging to my friend and go-to designer the late great Sergio Pittaluga)
I converted the audio to midi and assigned a metal sample and a tongue drum playing randomized notes from the midi converted typewriter.
I did play some piano lines, tried with a piano sound on a randomized midi but it was awful (listen to what I played, it is better so imagine what I call “awful”)
I also played some upright bass notes here and there .

Created Friday April 2nd 2021 at home.

Dedicated to Sergio R.I.P.

14 Likes

This began as a five sine wave patch from antiphon modulated to create a sci-fi sound scape. In the DAW it has been time stretched and put through some plugins.
The typing (mechanical keyboard) was recorded with a Zoom H6 and the content was a wish for the recording to sit well with other sounds for the Junto :slight_smile:
The synth sound was provided by the Norns script Euclidigons
The new VST Things-Motor was used like a sequential switch to bring in elements of the antiphon and euclidigon sounds.
*Also added some Steinway model B with Plonky and Mx.Samples

13 Likes

Fun challenge!
Mic’ed my keyboard (I don’t have any fancy typewriter or the like…) with a small diaphragm condenser (AKG C1000s) and a contact mic (AKG C411).
My idea was to see what type of rhythm would emerge by typing “repetition legitimizes” again and again and then work from that. But I managed to make all kind of mistakes while typing, which took away any clear rhythmic pattern. Instead I fed the combined audio from the mics to 6 different tracks in Ableton, each with their own tuned Corpus effect, limiter and delay, as well as an automated gate and autopans to pseudo-randomly-control when each corpus would sound.

Would have loved to work longer on this :slight_smile: but I have a small child and is fortunate for the few hours I got :upside_down_face:

9 Likes

I decided to use a sampled typewriter sound because I thought that would sound cooler than typing on my Mac. I then triggered the sample by typing from memory Bob Dylan’s “Visions of Johanna”. I used the default computer MIDI keyboard in Ableton Live. The only problem was that everytime I pressed the space key, it would stop the recording. It took me a few takes to figure out why I was only getting a few notes after typing in an entire stanza. So then I tried typing it in without using spaces between the words. I would go for two or three words before reflexively hitting the space bar between words. I tried a few other things but gave up.

So then I simply decided to have the sampled typewriter sounds be triggered by a generic MIDI reggae drum rhythm, consisting of bass drum, snare, and hi-hats. I then added some beat repeat effects and a little bit of randomness to make it more interesting.

6 Likes

haven’t taken part in a while but this one grabbed my imagination & dragged me away from my other projects :slight_smile:

A recording of me typing on my laptop - the built in mic grabbed not only my tapping away but my sighs as I tried to come up with a text without great long gaps for thinking :slight_smile: you an read the rubbish I came ip with in the track description.

Fully intended this to be more experimental but it didn’t want to come out like that and sod it - good to just kick back and make some thing “nice” once in a while…

The core of the piece is a supercollider program playing the recording and deriving timing from it with machine listening (well that’s what the book calls it - the Onset Ugen) from which the strings and bass thing are generated and then I soloed over the top because why not.

6 Likes

I was writing my latest podcast episode last night so I recorded myself typing on my MacBook Air I used the Rode reporter app on my iPhone 12 (highly recommend!) and just let it run for about two minutes while I worked. Dropped it into Ableton. I decided that it was easier to go ambient with this project. The typing only has a bit of sound shaping on it. I added some deep drones, and some ASMR-like sounds to complement the typing (but really soft). Added some chords on top. The chords represent how my brain starts unfocused, then as I get focused everything kind of goes in the background and I focus on what I am doing. Then as I finish up, the focus breaks and I see other things again.

Overall a nice project this week, I do like making ambient music, and looking forward to future topics.

6 Likes

Potentially dumb question: Does the typing need to be performed by person making the track, or simply recorded by us? My wife happens to be a writer and I think it would be fun to record her typing and turn that into a track.

1 Like

Not a dumb question. I think that’s a great approach. Go for it.

2 Likes

The playlist is now rolling:

1 Like

Hello Junto, Really cool assignment Marc. I went with what first came to mind. I am a pretty terrible typist and most of the time find stringing words together difficult so I went with that one. I midi converted the typing to drums,keys (short repeating loop) and a guitar chops set in Battery. I then vocalized the sentence and pitched two other tracks and offset them. I then gradually slowed the tempo till it gets kinda woozy. I usually hate the effect in ableton when you slow down something but I kinda liked that here. Hope all are well.

Peace, Hugh

9 Likes

Hello everyone. I’m new here. I am an Ambient / Techno / Dub artist. This is my first participation. I do not have a typewriter, used my Microsoft Sidewinder X4 keyboard instead. Used it for many years now. Added lots of reverb and delay effects, typical dubbing techniques. I was typing the alphabet (a through z). Didn’t want to add too much story or meaning. Pretty generic, really. Added some elements for rhythm. Don’t really know how to include the SoundCloud link here, so I’ll just post the URL. Hope that’s ok.

8 Likes

This week’s submission was made using an old manual typewriter (we purchased this from a local second-hand place, as the brand is our surname, so this was used for people to type out a guest book at our wedding reception).

I recorded myself typing out the word rhythm, then cut it up & glitched it to make it more rhythmic. I then loaded this & another simple beat into Ableton (which I downloaded the 90 day trial of today) & used the “link” function to get it in sync with some guitar bits that I’d recorded before & made into a little something with @dan_derks stellar Cheat Codes 2 script.

I’m pretty new to Cheat Codes & brand new to Ableton, so was basically just playing around a bit. Due to my normal weekly time-window of getting something done, rather than spending 30 mins of precious non-parenting time reading how to record in Ableton, I just bounced what I had going on to a cassette.

10 Likes

Using musical typing, I wrote “fade fade age faded face” repeatedly, at different intervals, using logic and ableton lite to manipulate these notes.

5 Likes

I recorded myself typing on my works computer, transcribing a commentary of what i was doing and thinking at the time. I then fed this into Gleetchlab and routed and mangled the loop as well as running it through the TAMS physical modeller to make the resonant clangs.
On reflection it looks like I’m an angry typist, my keyboard sounds bruised.

4 Likes

I recorded myself at the typewriter on Good Friday, then packed my ukulele to quickly record a piece of music today while on holiday.

Click here to hear my track on Youtube.

I think my haiku last week worked. We made it to the coast, although there was a detour which added a couple of hours. Lots of swollen creeks along the way and now we’ll have a few rainy days but then hopefully a week of sunny weather.

8 Likes

All the sounds in this track originate from recordings of a laptop keyboard made with the aid of Pure Data. Audacity was used for subsequent mixing & editing…

7 Likes

It’s been a hard time in my local music community. Many have passed on recently and just a few days ago, I was again told the dreaded news - one of my former bandmates suddenly passed away.

I’d been thinking about this quote from Soren Kierkegaard since then. Death has a way of putting life into perspective.

The wonderful thing about my departed friend was how he always lived in the moment. He was never shy to express his love for you. So, I will try and live like that more, moving forward. Words unsaid are wasted if never heard.

As to the track itself: I recorded myself typing, “life can only be understood backwards, but it must be lived forwards”, then slowed the track 800%, while alternating the original recording hard left and hard right.

9 Likes

I was writing a letter to accompany a job application as a circus photographer and recorded the typing sounds just with my iphone.

After that I loaded it into Morphagene.
I used Morphagene’s End Of Gene output to trigger Pamela’s New Workout and then into Bin Seq and Pico Drums to make a slow 7-4 drum beat.
The audio output went into Rings, Plaits, Erbe-Verb, Freak and FX Aid XL to create matching high-pitched soundscapes.

7 Likes